LegacyGT.com

The Official: Mountain Biking Thread

BDII

I've been riding my rigid bike on the trail the last couple of days (usually only use the rigid for MBU) and I agree with the previous posts that it helps me pick a better line. Sometimes I'm tempted to just power through obstacles with my full suspension bike but I think the Zen method is better.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My new bike (which is currently on backorder) is a Ibis Mojo carbon fibre trailbike. I placed my downpayment over a month ago and I've been assured that I'll be receiving the bike before the end of February 2007. Whatever... :lol:

Here's a pic of the Mojo :

http://www.ibiscycles.com/images/full/mojo_1.jpg

OMG...you're my hero.

• 2 months later...

just because winter is almost here, doesn't mean we can't keep the biking spirit alive! i raced in the Eastern Collegiate Cycling Conference this fall (mountain biking), and my team (Carnegie Mellon) won Division 2. here are the steeds.

The Mountain Bike: Santa Cruz Blur Classic (Custom Build)

http://www.geocities.com/revlimitfunk/t.jpg

The Road Bike: Cannondale Six13 Team (Custom Build)

http://photos-479.ak.facebook.com/ip007/v16/153/94/1326121079/n1326121079_30012479_8278.jpg

Me at Plattekill Mountain for a race earlier on this season

http://www.geocities.com/revlimitfunk/tt.jpg

good biking and good nightlife generally doesn't go together... the best biking trails are usually not very close to good nightlife. you might have to drive out to bike in the day and drive into the city to party at night.... new york or boston comes to mind.

Can you be more specific on the east? You say North America and east...that is a whole lot of area. If you want to stay in Canada check out the Otawa area, they have some good XC, DH and a few skate parks too I believe and the people there are really nice. Did a road trip up there a few years ago and the people were great....there's also a place a little south of there called CFMBA that has some north shore stuff if you're into it. Check out mtbkanata.com. But if you mean the NE of the US I would agree with rvlmtfnk. Boston has some good stuff and same with NY area. But most would be about an hour drive from teh fun stuff.

I'm lucky to live in an area that has a huge Mt. biking community and tons of trail systems. It's one of my main summer time outdoor activities. :)

I ride a Kona Hoss, just like this except mine has a bash guard and sealed bearing clipless pedals.

http://www.veb-company.si/gorska_kona/2k6_slike/2K6_HOSS_650.jpg

• 1 month later...
check out MTBR classified section, there are usually a bunch of bikes for sale. As for a new rig rec...that is really subjective. But if you are coming from a Specialized FS you'll need to stay away from single pivots and that doesn't give you much in teh way of cheap choices. Likely you'll still be looking at Specialized.

Learned a valuable lesson this past sunday.....

When you are going down hill on a road covered in ice and snow......don't use your brake. was doing a pretty good job of that until I rolled over a big patch of ice. dummy applied the back brake just a tad; and WHAM!! bike flew out from underneath me and I slammed onto the ground on my left side. minor sprain on some muscles in my left shoulder. (been rehabing it for 6 weeks, luckily didn't set myself back any). and strained some neck muscles keeping my head up from hitting the pavement (yes I was wearing a helmet).:icon_bigg

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

check out MTBR classified section, there are usually a bunch of bikes for sale. As for a new rig rec...that is really subjective. But if you are coming from a Specialized FS you'll need to stay away from single pivots and that doesn't give you much in teh way of cheap choices. Likely you'll still be looking at Specialized.

Hmmm.......looking for a Turner full sus. think I'll head on there and see if I can find a good deal on a frame. getting tired of my jamis. low bottom bracket = hits rocks in rock gardens all the time:icon_mad:

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Joining the thread a bit late. I have a pair of Deans hanging in the garage- a road and a MTB. I'll take some pics when it gets over 4F....:(

buddy o mine just bought a dean. loves it.

Dean, that brings up bad memories. The collegiate cycling team that I was one had a sponsorship from Dean. Turns out we were sponsoring them since we gave them money and they kept it without delivering all of the products. What a reputable company to screw a bunch of poor college students. Luckily, I didn't like their products anyways and didn't buy anything from them.

Bu11dogg2...I think you are in the NE right? If so you might want to check out Bustedspoke.com....I got friendly with the guy who started it up at a Red Bull event up in Boston. They had a ton of members and were really cool, but last I saw him he had backed away from teh site since he started working at Sinister. So I don't know if it is still a good resource but might be easier to hook up with someone local.

hmmm time to replace the Specialized... need something bigger!!

any suggestions?

I def want to buy now while the getting is cheap!

I need :'

full suspension, large (size) new or used

Talk to your LBS and see if there are any demo models or 2006 bikes left.

or

what about this?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/bik/274242409.html

Yeah, the challenge with Dean is working with the company. 8-12 week wait for fabrication! When you finally get the bike, it's sweet. Except for the $50 cheap-@ss derailuer hangers....:lol:

My mtb club has a deal with a LBS in Southern Maine. I think they deal santa cruz and c'dale primarily. Check with your local club listings to see if there is something similar in your area.

You can also check out http://www.bikeman.com, the site for bath cycle. They have a decent selection of used stuff (I think they had an Intense and a Rocky Mtn in large last time I was there) and the shop staff is really nice.

I already have the Manatou Minute front forks.

I think I might build a bike this year.

I will more than likely purchase a frame before spring then start pulling parts from my two other bikes.

that's how I did it with my last 2 bikes.

Archived