LegacyGT.com

The Official: Mountain Biking Thread

BDII

1-3-2-4: There's a commuter parking lot in Trumbull off of rt 25 at the Daniels Farms Rd. exit. There's some great mountain biking in the Pequonnock River Valley State Forest, Indian ledge park and Old Mine areas. They're listed on the nemba.org website.
When Chuck Norris was born, the only person who cried was the doctor. Never slap Chuck Norris. - E.J.S.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my new ride :wub:

http://photos.imageevent.com/mattg/avatars/huge/IMG_4850.JPG

breaking it in at our local freeride area

http://photos.imageevent.com/mattg/avatars/huge/Lair%20001.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/mattg/avatars/huge/Lair%20009.jpg

Trek isn't a great name in the mountain biking world, they poured all their money into the road bike programs, and only recently have started making a better MTB product, that being said, I have a Trek 4900 and can't complain, but my next ride is surely not going to be a Trek).

Don't speak so abrupty. Just because Trek has been traditionally mass-market and road biking... their Mountain lineup is now showcasing some pretty nifty engineering. The new (2008) Fuel EX series is a must-ride in the sub-$3000 range (as long as you're not toying with the high-buck OCLV carbon). The full-floating rear suspension is incredibly plush, while not giving up on climbing performance. I have the previous-gen EX7 (2005) and I love the agility/ride comfort balance. I've been on Cannondales, Fishers, a Titus, and even a twisted-sick carbon Ibis Mojo with 5" travel F/R (24 lbs dripping with pedals, dripping wet)... the Trek just feels right.

Run what feels right - most manufacturers are about on par with each other these days in terms of quality... everyone has their own take on geometries, and the mish-mash of component sets is still pretty universal (swap what you like). Brand names are just that... names.

• 1 month later...
I just finished putting together the woman's christmas present. Not a bad little bike, an 07 Specialized Rockhopper Comp

Very nice! I love building bikes! I built two this year (2007 Ellsworth Rogue and 2007 Ellsworth Epiphany), sold two bikes (2002.5 Intense Uzzi SLX full bike and 2004 Ellsworth Id frame), and bought another complete bike (2007 Raleigh XXIX). Amazingly enough, I managed to put some money in our savings account too! :lol:

I need to put my trainer together :(

Damn skinny tire is a pain to get on.

why not by a cheapo wheel you can run a slick on so you don't have to change it out?

http://www.nashbar.com/results.cfm?category=6000126&subcategory=60001202&storetype=&estoreid=&init=y&pagename=Category%3A%20Wheels%20%2D%20MTB

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

do you ride through the winter?^^^
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Hey anyone got their Fox forks, rebulit by PUSH?

yes, buddy of mind did. front and back. they did an awesome job. you have questions or just wanted a recommendation?

I have a Talas on the back they won't touch; gas cartridge.:redface:

do you ride through the winter?^^^

My area of the country is known for it's granite deposits..... this makes snow riding VERY dangerous :(

I might go out a few times... that's if I dont put the skinny tire on for my trainer

Hey that bike looks familiar:lol:.

I love it :)

thanks again!

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

yes, buddy of mind did. front and back. they did an awesome job. you have questions or just wanted a recommendation?

I have a Talas on the back they won't touch; gas cartridge.:redface:

Alot of guys at the last 24hour race I was in had them done. Havent really heard anything negative except for the price:lol:. They are going to convert my RL to a RLC for about 250.00 that includes the rebuild and seals. My local shop says thats expensive, but they wont do the conversion:lol:.

If you can afford College, you probably don't need to go.

Just read this whole thread. Didn't join the forum to talk about MTB. Anyway, I started riding at Blue Mt. in 1989. First bike was a dayglow orange Fat Chance Wicked. Eventually transitioned to FS with a Cannondale Raven (ChromaLusion paint). Now I mostly ride my custom Cannondale R3000.

yeah, but cheaper than a new fork huh?

Alot of guys at the last 24hour race I was in had them done. Havent really heard anything negative except for the price:lol:. They are going to convert my RL to a RLC for about 250.00 that includes the rebuild and seals. My local shop says thats expensive, but they wont do the conversion:lol:.

yeah, but cheaper than a new fork huh?

Totally.....Ive had a bunch of forks over the years, but by far Fox has always been the best.

Manitou the worst. Ive had to rebuild my Minute II atleast 6 times in 18months:lol:.

This will be the 1st rebuild for the Fox in 2.5 years.

If you can afford College, you probably don't need to go.

Just read this whole thread. Didn't join the forum to talk about MTB. Anyway, I started riding at Blue Mt. in 1989. First bike was a dayglow orange Fat Chance Wicked. Eventually transitioned to FS with a Cannondale Raven (ChromaLusion paint). Now I mostly ride my custom Cannondale R3000.

There's some goooooood riding at Blue Mountain. :D

I bunch of guys hit Sprain Ridge this morning. Conditions looked pretty good from the pictures that they posted on the WMBA forums.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Go with the hitch. I have a buddy that has designed a rack to work with the wagon rails but we had some shop issues and lots of other problems over the last year. We just found a new machine shop to use and possibly will have a low profile roof rack by end of the summer. But the oem hitch tucks up under the car real nice.

Mikebravo - i've always had the best experience with FOX as well. I am trying to track down a 29er fox fork for the rig instead of the Reba. FOX still only sells them oem only. Hopefully this summer. PUSH is a little expensive but they do great work. We've used them a couple times for customers at the shop.

Archived