LegacyGT.com

The Official: Mountain Biking Thread

BDII

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
simliar thing happened to my friend last week. got distracted and neglected to tighten the skewer. went over the first log at the head of the trail, wheel popped out and he went over the bars and did a chin plant into the ground. got a bunch of stitches to remind him to tighten the wheel down next time.

Happened to a friend of mine on a night ride....I heard an oh sh!t behind me so I stopped to see if he was OK. Well when he lifted his front wheel to go over a log pile the front wheel took off like in a cartoon. Luckily he didn't wreck but he nearly pissed his pants because there were two bears nearby and it was dark. We tried looking for the skewer figuring it must be nearby...after a while we decided to duct tape the wheel back on to get out. Two weeks later we found the skewer rod about half a mile from where the wheel came off. Still don't know how he managed to get that far since there were at least six log crossings before that.

injuries have been going around our group. couple weeks back another buddy slammed into a tree full speed and bruised his hip pretty good. took him out for about 4 weeks or so.

knock on wood, no major accidents for me, but gotta wonder whose next.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Oh I hear ya. I've restrained a calf muscle from last year. did it last weekend:mad:. seems ok, but with 2 big races coming up I'm not too happy.

I won't give you the laundry list of other injuries I have. Although the one I'm most proud of happened during a race. took the wrong line down this big ass rock and flipped over the bars. landed on my back, but knew the bike was coming down on top of me so I kicked it away. Well, one of the teeth from the crank sank right into my ankle. you could see straight down to the ligaments.

damn "first aid" station at the next check point had no "first aid" so I DNF'ed and took a ride back to the start line to get it bandaged up. I was pretty pissed. 1/2 dozen stitches later and a week or 2 of rehab to losen the ankle back up it was fine.

You've got to pay to play....

each scar on my leg tells a different story...

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Oh I hear ya. I've restrained a calf muscle from last year. did it last weekend:mad:. seems ok, but with 2 big races coming up I'm not too happy.

I won't give you the laundry list of other injuries I have. Although the one I'm most proud of happened during a race. took the wrong line down this big ass rock and flipped over the bars. landed on my back, but knew the bike was coming down on top of me so I kicked it away. Well, one of the teeth from the crank sank right into my ankle. you could see straight down to the ligaments.

damn "first aid" station at the next check point had no "first aid" so I DNF'ed and took a ride back to the start line to get it bandaged up. I was pretty pissed. 1/2 dozen stitches later and a week or 2 of rehab to losen the ankle back up it was fine.

I did that too... I have 3 distinct scars running up the back of my achilles tendon from my front sprockets.... painful :mad:

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

I was pretty surprised. even though I didn't twist the ankle, my balance was messed up for about 3 weeks.

I did that too... I have 3 distinct scars running up the back of my achilles tendon from my front sprockets.... painful :mad:

Didn't know about it but I might head up if I have some free time.

Look for me if you come. I'll probably be at the registration tent with some sort of Subaru hat on. :)

I was pretty surprised. even though I didn't twist the ankle, my balance was messed up for about 3 weeks.

Did you ever figure out what the noise was? After your post I was on a ride and I heard a similar sound. It happend 1/2 way though my ride. It didn't appear to change anything. However during my pre-ride inspection the next day I spun the rear wheel and heard ,ever so softly, a piece loose. Come to find out I had popped a spoke. You couldn't see it unless you sqeezed the spokes.

C-lo good luck on your solo.

If you can afford College, you probably don't need to go.

Me too but mines on my calf. I call it my chainwheel tattoo cause I was never able it get all the grease out of the wound :lol:. Looks kinda cool now.

If you can afford College, you probably don't need to go.

Tons of Granite glacial deposits! it's nice because the rock formations allow you to drop in on dirt and leaves (as you can see on the vid)

I have ridden Fort Rock (exeter) about 5 times and I haven't seen half the trails.... it's just huge :bigrin:

looks like gambril nat'l park here in frederick.

BDII any words of wisdom for someone whose having trouble committing to big jumps?

looks like gambril nat'l park here in frederick.

BDII any words of wisdom for someone whose having trouble committing to big jumps?

Wearing protective gear will give you alot more confidence.

1. Helmets (a must.... I would be dead if I didn'y wear one)

2. Knee and elbow pads

3. Body armor (dirt biking style are best)

When it comes down to it..... it's all about your comfort level. Some days I ride and I go all out and have fun. Somedays I relax.

Start with small jumps and get used to being airborn and landing and progessivley work your way up.

Remember.... Pull up!

to be honest... I have troule commiting without inspecting every inch of terrain around the jump.

If I get injured and can't walk.... I can't work.

I have a buddy that just hits every jump without care.....

There are actually two separate techniques to drops shown in that video. Wheelie drops involve riding slowly to the edge and using a pedal stroke to lift the front end. Hucking involves just blasting off of jumps and drops at speed. Both are useful techniques to learn. I started out by wheelie dropping curbs and eventually working up to 4-foot loading docks. Hucks are much easier to do, but it helps to know that you have the skill to wheelie drop and change your landing angle should you encounter a drop at slow speed. I would advise looking for drops with downward sloping landings for practicing hucks. You'll find that flat landings are much harsher.

Archived