LegacyGT.com

The Official: Mountain Biking Thread

BDII

Well, I will be doing the downhill only type riding every-so-often at the local ski areas, but for the most part, I need to be able to go down or up, or cross-country :D

I don't need STUPENDOUS landing ability.

You might want to consider something longer travel then. Perhaps a long-travel trailbike with 6 inches of travel like a Specialized Enduro SL or Giant Reign. More fun going down, less fun going up, but hardly a "couch" like the 6-inch freeride bikes of a few years ago.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When you mentioned ski resort riding, I was thinking like double-black diamond stuff at Whistler, Northstar, Mammoth, etc. I wouldn't take a 5-inch travel bike down this stuff, but a 6-inch bike could handle it.

chainsmoke.thumb.jpg.b87ad7cca133a54695ec190f307c710d.jpg

porcupinerim.jpg.2caaaf1c59274a851dd1d6ad33b3f506.jpg

However, the Transition Preston FR is heavy (8.9 lbs frame weight) for a 5-inch travel bike. It's made to take some punishment and is more of a FR bike than an all-mountain/trail bike. You'd probably be fine taking it to a DH park.

In comparison, a lightweight 5-inch travel all-mountain bike would be something like the Ellsworth Epiphany, which weighs around 5.8 lbs for the frame alone. I'm building one up right now as my XC/trail bike, definitely not something I'd take to a DH park. I have an Ellsworth Rogue and Schwinn Straight 8 for that.

Sadly :( My wife wouldn't really follow me down that stuff...

Thats what they make B-line for. Nice blue runs, like in Skiing. My wife has ridden them on a hardtail with 3" of suspension. On the other hand, do you really want your wife on some of those trails....

Anyhow, you can ride a 5" travel bike in Whistler or the like. No, some 5" bikes are more XC oriented, but bikes by Santa cruz, Kona, Transition and the like tend to be more oriented towards the rough stuff. Just look at the type bikes the patrol guys ride. I see lots of 4" + 5" bikes and there is a good chance they can outride all of us!

It's all a matter of perspective.

On that note, I ride a 50lbs pig that has 9" of travel for everything. Trials, admittedly, is challenging, but everything else you either get use too or walk :)

When you mentioned ski resort riding, I was thinking like double-black diamond stuff at Whistler, Northstar, Mammoth, etc. I wouldn't take a 5-inch travel bike down this stuff, but a 6-inch bike could handle it.

your gonna confuse the n00bs:lol:

thats a "mountain Bike" in the first picture.

He wants a CC bike, like mine.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

Nice. Where is the first picture taken at?:cool:

your gonna confuse the n00bs:lol:

thats a "mountain Bike" in the first picture.

He wants a CC bike, like mine.

This a mountain bike thread and he asked for advice on a new mountain bike.

CC = cyclocross, i.e., NOT a mountain bike

XC = cross-country mountain bike, AM = all-mountain mountain bike, aka trail bike, FR = freeride mountain bike, DH = downhill mountain bike

rode this morning. going over a log pile, I landed on the other side a little hard. I heard a "crack" or a "pop" from the front end of my bike. sounded like the frame. I've got a jamis XLT3.0. This is a newer version, but all weld points are similiar to mine:

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/07_bikes/images/07_DAKARXLT.jpg

I checked all over and see no cracks in the frame. worry or no?

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Forks might have bottomed out

no, not the forks. I"ve bottomed out forks before, never heard this noise before. besides I"ve got 125mm of travel. I checked the fork travel markings after and still had some to go.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

no, not the forks. I"ve bottomed out forks before, never heard this noise before. besides I"ve got 125mm of travel. I checked the fork travel markings after and still had some to go.

I wouldn't worry, especially if you checked the head tube gussets and the seat tube. If it was a one-time sound that went away, it may have just been something random...:spin:

anyone tried a 29er yet? thinking about going this route with my next, much needed bike. Any recommendations? I like the cannondale Caffeine 29 but wish they had dual suspension. Thinking about maybe a Niner bike R.I.P. 9, but they are expensive(1500 for frame only)

I wouldn't worry, especially if you checked the head tube gussets and the seat tube. If it was a one-time sound that went away, it may have just been something random...:spin:

I'm gonna talk to the local bike shop today. I have a 12hour solo race coming up on the 24th. If there's an issue, I want to know about it ahead of time.

anyone tried a 29er yet? thinking about going this route with my next, much needed bike. Any recommendations? I like the cannondale Caffeine 29 but wish they had dual suspension. Thinking about maybe a Niner bike R.I.P. 9, but they are expensive(1500 for frame only)

We've got a lot of guys on them up here in the Northeast. The larger wheels handle the roots pretty well.

How many places actually carry tubes and tires for 29ers? I haven't seen that many, so for me that would be a reason to stay away. Nothing worse than going on a road trip, flatting out or shreading a tire and not be able to do the ride.

anyone tried a 29er yet?

I purchased a Raleigh XXIX in February:

http://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?itemid=341

It's been a fun bike despite being full rigid. The 29-inch tires allow you to roll off stuff you can't w/ a 26-inch tire, but also have more inertia to get going from a dead stop. It's not my primary bike, but it has been a lot of fun so far! :)

rode this morning. going over a log pile, I landed on the other side a little hard. I heard a "crack" or a "pop" from the front end of my bike. sounded like the frame. I've got a jamis XLT3.0. This is a newer version, but all weld points are similiar to mine:

I did the exact same thing last Saturday. Jumped a log pile landed a little hard and heard a "crack."

Checked my bike after I finished the ride and I noticed a hairline crack in the paint on a weld on the rear triangle. It and old Voodoo Canzo frame I just recently got. Guess it's time to look for a sturdier frame.:mad:

I was out on a ride this morning and had something similar happen to me with an odd cracking sound. I was riding along a fireroad doing a wheely when I started to fall, I slammed brakes and brought my bike hard to the ground, but still up-right.

I have a Trek Fuel 98 (full carbon fiber) so I really don't like cracking and popping sounds. I looked all over the bike and found nothing. I then checked to see if the headset had loosened. Nope tight. Turned out that somehow I had loosened my skewer on my front fork. Scary!:eek:

Nothing bad happend and still had a good ride though.

Cheers,

Mike

simliar thing happened to my friend last week. got distracted and neglected to tighten the skewer. went over the first log at the head of the trail, wheel popped out and he went over the bars and did a chin plant into the ground. got a bunch of stitches to remind him to tighten the wheel down next time.

I was out on a ride this morning and had something similar happen to me with an odd cracking sound. I was riding along a fireroad doing a wheely when I started to fall, I slammed brakes and brought my bike hard to the ground, but still up-right.

I have a Trek Fuel 98 (full carbon fiber) so I really don't like cracking and popping sounds. I looked all over the bike and found nothing. I then checked to see if the headset had loosened. Nope tight. Turned out that somehow I had loosened my skewer on my front fork. Scary!:eek:

Nothing bad happend and still had a good ride though.

Cheers,

Mike

Archived