LegacyGT.com

The Official: Mountain Biking Thread

BDII

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IQdvfm9SDY]YouTube - Bicycle Polo, Dallas Style[/ame]

awesome! must try!!

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

2005 XTR Specialized Stumpjumper M2...

Took me a year to biuld this bike with the lightest bike parts I can find...

I go up north around this time of year for a really good time.

Plattekill Mountain...

http://www.plattekill.com/summer/index.html

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v511/MacR32/MacsPictures/MacM2/PICT0001.jpg

Lightest parts you could find, eh? Personally I see a couple more lbs. of improvement waiting. There's a couple big ol' derailleurs, 2 chainrings, and a honkin' cassette full of cogs that can come off. Singlespeed baby!! :cool:

Ah, before I nitpick others' (Sorry Mac - no harm intended!!)

Mine:

-07 Surly Cross Check (cyclo-x bike)

-05 Trek Fuel EX7

-00 GT Backwoods (frame - soon to be singlespeed)

-84 Specialized Rock Hopper (mutant bar cruiser)

Planning to trade in the Fuel for the new EX next year (larger frame, sweet new floating rear suspension). Hopefully the GT will be together by then too! Been spending more time fiddling with bikes than the 'Ru lately.

looking for the member here who works at A-1 Cycles in Herndon, Va. did a search and can't find him.. anyone know who he is?
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Due to my new job I completely missed this whole season of riding....

I do however have a photographer that wants to do a shoot of me riding. If anyone lives in the New England area and wants some free photo's of them riding some single track let me know.

You will have to sign a waiver giving her rights to the photo's...

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

My 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport small frame. Bought this for $75 (It was in horrible shape for a bike that was barely used.) I upgraded just about everything except the forks because the previous owner had left the bike out for well over a year in the elements. What a great bike, its great in the trails and on rough terrain. Only thing is I need some new tires, these Specialized Pros suck. Any kind of sand or loose gravel and kicks it right up at you.

I have two other toys as well, a 99 GT Pro Series BMX and a 98 GT Performer flatland rider.

IMG_0900.jpg.04f67ca57fbc337658ab8325936bb9eb.jpg

Only thing is I need some new tires, these Specialized Pros suck. Any kind of sand or loose gravel and kicks it right up at you.

Look in to the Kenda Nevegals. They are a little slow rolling, but they are super grippy on all the rooty and rocky technical stuff. The Maxxis High Rollers are nice as well.

Since you're in CT, I'm guessing that you're riding on the same type of rooty and rocky trails that we're riding in Westchester County, NY.

I bought a used specialized Stump Jumper off a member on this site.

Used are usually a good deal if you can find a private seller.

3k is a big investment. If you are just getting into riding, buy a Raliegh Mojave 4.0/5.0

They are the best deal on the market and if you decide that riding is not your thing you didn't waste 3k.

I have a Raliegh Mojave 4.0 hard tail and it served me well as a starter. Full suspension bikes are pricey and maintenance can be a biotch if you ride like I do :lol:

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

I wanted a Trek but no way will I spend $3K on a bike.. I don't go biking that much.

What kind of bike are you looking for? There are plenty of good (hardtail and full suspension) bikes out there that are in the sub $2000 range.

I'm currently looking into buying a Santa Cruz Heckler with the D XC build for my wife. That's priced at just under $2k.

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this thread - Subarus & mountain bikes! - I'm in heaven!!! (Well almost, unless Jessica Alba has already posted and is looking for me.)

Anyway, I wanted to chime in on 1-3-2-4's quest for a sub-$3000 bike. If you're just starting out, don't spend too much (however, this is an arbitrary figure that's entirely dependent on your disposable income). There's many sub-$700 (and some sub-$600) bikes out there that will give you a taste of mountain biking and can take a beating; you can even use them for amateur races. However, if you prefer to start driving a Ferrari, then keep looking at the $3000 bikes (and just a quick aside, Trek isn't a great name in the mountain biking world, they poured all their money into the road bike programs, and only recently have started making a better MTB product, that being said, I have a Trek 4900 and can't complain, but my next ride is surely not going to be a Trek). Also, if you can wait until December, you can save a ton of money cause bike shops need to make space for new inventory (however, you can't be too picky at this point), and I strongly advise you buy your rig at a local bike shop. They will help determine the size that fits you and will then adjust everything for your body (seat height, shifters, brake levers). Also, do some homework and compare a few manufacturers bikes. You'll find that the same class of bikes have similar components, and that's what you're really paying for. Almost all aluminum frames are made in Taiwan nowadays, and there's a handful of frame-makers in Taiwan, so you might find the same quality in a Fuji and Trek frame (these factories pump out different frames for different manufacturers with subtle differences in the geometry). So concentrate more on the components and the comfort of the riding position; aim for middle-of-the-road components, such as Shimano Deores (here's the hierarchy of Shimano comp's [low to high] - Acera, Alivio, Deore, Deore LX, Deore XT, XTR) or SRAM 5.0 or 7.0 (actually I just found this good article, check it out - http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.I/id.19/.f). Bottom line is, determine what type of riding you're going to be doing the most, determine what's the best bike for you in this area (hardtail vs full suspension), narrow it down to 3-5 bikes, then compare the components and see which one offers more. After you decided on a ride, hit the ATM, go to the shop and make them an offer (you don't have to pay the sticker price); or stalk ebay and craigslist for a good used ride. Hope this helps.

Here are my bikes,

GF rig, custom king wheels, king headset, hone cranks, easton carbon seatpost and handlebar.

Santa cruz blur lt spx xc kit with custom king wheels and king headset

Here is the mountain bike closet, left to right Blur LT, RIG, Girlfriend Blur XC.

288619195_Bikestuff001.jpg.e01a75ac2dc3fdd23cdc9d9d82d96eb9.jpg

936042467_Bikestuff003.thumb.jpg.ce365c0634336e7e087fd48675ad6e48.jpg

1338989207_Bikestuff004.thumb.jpg.1733c5f8626f475b021cfdbf65738cb4.jpg

48452204_Bikestuff007.thumb.jpg.c715e2ce8e2e5d4439d56e79e3542165.jpg

Also have a brand new Madone 5.2 aero frame w/headset for sale, Never ridden. It is a warranty frame, I got hit by a car on my 98 madone, riding to work one morning this summer, broke the driveside chainstay. I never built the warranty frame b/c trek took a while to warranty it. I bought a felt f55 that i have put lots of extras on, and am very happy with. Anyways the frame is a 52cm, if you anyone is interested i'll send them pictures.

What kind of bike are you looking for? There are plenty of good (hardtail and full suspension) bikes out there that are in the sub $2000 range.

I'm currently looking into buying a Santa Cruz Heckler with the D XC build for my wife. That's priced at just under $2k.

opps I almost forgot well a full suspension is pretty much really only good for off road stuff right? I can't think of too many places in CT to ride on.

Edvig, Don't get the d kit, as the former manager of a bike shop, step up to the R kit, you will be much happier in the long run, granted it is a bit more $$$.

Thanks for the advise. I understand what your saying, but the D kit is what I think will work best for us now. It's a balance between $$$ and my wife's riding ability. She's still a beginner rider and the D kit will be fine for her at this point. I'll have to upgrade the bike as she begins to bomb the downhills more. I'm thinking of the D kit Heckler as a good stepping stone from her hardtail.

It would be a completely different story if the Heckler were for me.

btw: Nice collection of bikes. :)

1-3-2-4: There is plenty of good riding near Greenwich. Mianus River Park is a great place for a beginner rider. Sprain Ridge Park in Yonkers is close to you as well.

Check out crankfire.com or the forums at wmba.org.

Archived