LegacyGT.com

The Official: Mountain Biking Thread

BDII

Been riding about 12 years now. :wub:

Current Trail Bike: '06 Iron Horse MkIII Expert

http://www.ironhorsebikes.com/bikes/images/bikeimages/mkiii_expert.jpg

XC Race bike, old trail Bike: '98 Cannondale Raven 4000.

LP Composite Seat Post and Handlebar, Magura Tomac brakes (Red HS-22's). 25 pounds of full suspension history.

Giant TCR Limited road bike, heh, everyones gotta train.

Beater Schwinn for beer runs.

Many, many past bikes. (ex-bike mechanic = bike collection)

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We got a set to do a review on like two seasons ago....they made a huge difference. A lot of the trails here get prettu icy from snowmobiles or other motorized vehicles packing the snow down, then it melts slighty during the day and freezes over at night. The studs helped but there are a few things to keep in mind.

1) not all tires are equal, some have very few studs and typically only in the center of the tread. The ones we got had studs on the side knobs so even in turns you were OK.

2) the studs are very sharp! Be careful mounting them but also watch transporting the bike or if you fall.

3) they do tend to give you a little too much confidence...so now when you fall down the icy hill your going twice as fast.

We got a set to do a review on like two seasons ago....they made a huge difference. A lot of the trails here get prettu icy from snowmobiles or other motorized vehicles packing the snow down, then it melts slighty during the day and freezes over at night. The studs helped but there are a few things to keep in mind.

1) not all tires are equal, some have very few studs and typically only in the center of the tread. The ones we got had studs on the side knobs so even in turns you were OK.

2) the studs are very sharp! Be careful mounting them but also watch transporting the bike or if you fall.

3) they do tend to give you a little too much confidence...so now when you fall down the icy hill your going twice as fast.

I cant say that I have ever gotten tire rash.....

Thanks for the tip!!

-Randy

MIke,

you love those panaracer tires dont you?:lol:

I am starting to like them alot too:icon_bigg

QUESTION!!!!

I need a set of replacement rims for my Raleigh. I need something light and cheap.

Any ideas, links?

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

QUESTION!!!!

I need a set of replacement rims for my Raleigh. I need something light and cheap.

Any ideas, links?

Light and cheap bike wheels are tough to find. :lol:

I'm looking for a new wheelset too.

I'm leaning towards these...

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/WH707A04-Mavic+Crossmax+Xl+Disc+Wheelset.aspx

i have a few but will need to take some pics..i ride clipless on all my mtb and road bikes

1. 04 or 05 Santa Cruz Bullit with vanilla rc shock

marzocchi z1 freeride forks

m760 shimano xt components minus the hollowtech crank

chris king headseat

thompson seatpost

wtb seat

easton ea50 bars, ea70 stem

chris king hubs with mavic d321 rims for dh, sun rhyno lite with XT hubs

for tooling around

2. early to mid 90's Raleigh Technium

rock shox magnesium fork

all xt and xtr...recently took off cantilevers and put lx v-brakes and levers

on front and rear

3. Cannondale caad3 r600 road bike 54cm

all 105 components

4. Standard Sta ox

dk street forks

profile 180mm ss crank

standard 36T sprocket with bash gaurd

primo pro cassette hubs with alex triple wall rims and primo 12g spokes

lot more ill take pics

5. Standard 125 R model

standard forks and bars

chris king headseat, dk jumping stem

profile cassette hubs with sun bfr rims and 14g double butted spokes with

alloy nipples

crupi titanium seat, dk rod or demolition seat post dont remember which

bike has what

ill have to take pics of everything im actually going down to mercer today to ride...

I cant say that I have ever gotten tire rash.....

Thanks for the tip!!

-Randy

MIke,

you love those panaracer tires dont you?:lol:

I am starting to like them alot too:icon_bigg

QUESTION!!!!

Any ideas, links?

Here are some awesome deals:http: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/sub/150-Wheelsets.aspx

If you can afford College, you probably don't need to go.

Bu11dogg2....is this the bike that is running 7 speed? If so your choices are going to be really limited unless you change the drivetrain. I know some people that have had some success spacing a cassette on the hub but...in my opinion it isn't worth the effort. It might shift OK clean but once it gets dirty it sucks. If you want to upgarde the drivetrain let me know....I think my buddy has some stuff.

Light and cheap bike wheels are tough to find. :lol:

I'm looking for a new wheelset too.

I'm leaning towards these...

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Wheelset.aspx

WOW!!! $550!! I think im gonna look elsewhere...

Bu11dogg2....is this the bike that is running 7 speed? If so your choices are going to be really limited unless you change the drivetrain. I know some people that have had some success spacing a cassette on the hub but...in my opinion it isn't worth the effort. It might shift OK clean but once it gets dirty it sucks. If you want to upgarde the drivetrain let me know....I think my buddy has some stuff.

My Raleigh already has spacers and MAVIC wheels with no shift issues. I have been pleased so far.

However, these seem like a amazing deal: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Wheelset.aspx

That is a good deal. My local shop has those same one for $$275

You Can't Beat 179.00 Shipped. No tax. Less then 2100 grams

meh.... me no like silver... almost worth the extra $20

BY the way...these are the tires we reviewed a while back: http://schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/...spiker_details

A little hard to justify the price though

$$110.20!!!!

I may consider them.

thanks for the link!

The rain finally stopped long enough for me to be able to take my new Specialized Stumpjumper FSR out for a real ride last night. I was able to get in two laps of my local singletrack (around 20 minutes per lap), since I have to ride 45 minutes each way to get there. My first impressions:

Man, this bike is light compared to my Specialized Hardrock. It seems sort of weird that my full-suspension bike is significantly lighter than my hardtail, but it's true. The Hardrock is an entry-level bike, so it's pretty heavy. Also, the Hardrock is a size XL, whereas the Stumpy is a Large.

Two things I'm going to have to get used to, and maybe adjust my riding style for: (1) I was banging my pedals on rocks and other obstacles a lot more than with the Hardrock. Apparently, the Stumpy FSR has a fairly low bottom bracket. Actually, it's probably not a bad thing that I'm forced to be more aware of where my pedals are, and have to ratchet them a little more. (2) The front end of the Stumpy tends to lift more on climbs. I'm thinking that is due to the overall lightness of the bike, along with the fact that the rear suspension gets loaded on climbs, causing the front end to lighten.

The Stumpy is very nimble, and I felt like I could attack the trail a lot more than I can on the Hardrock. Also, the stock Avid V-brakes on the Stumpy are far superior to the crappy discs that came on the Hardrock, but are not as good as the BB-7 mechanical discs that were on the Specialized FSRxc that I took for a demo ride a few weeks ago. The first major mod for this bike will be to add BB-7's.

I got the Stumpy FSR last week as a new leftover '05 for $1,200 (original list price was $1,800). It's a better bike than I really need, but I was able to get a better bike in my price range than what I was hoping for. :icon_bigg

Archived