LegacyGT.com

The Official: Mountain Biking Thread

BDII

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

kick back and have a look::eek:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvNpofd4g8g]YouTube - Rogue MTB episode one[/ame]

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

^Sweet!

I figure I need 3 things before I think about attempting about 95% of that.

1) full face helmet

2) cup

3) better health insurance

:)

Anyone know where that is located?

and one more:

4)bigger balls for me

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I finally ordered some new tires today. After going for a ride today for the first time in months I realized I should have ordered a pair much earlier. Thanks for the suggestions, after a lot of research I decided on the Panaracer Fire XC. Unfortunately I bought the 60 TPI version which isn't what I wanted.

So, I think I'll stop be the LBS today and see if they carry the 120 TPI for a decent price. Plus I'm thinking of going 1.8 in the front and 2.1 in the rear.

Anyone interested in the 60 TPI's? They are 26x2.1, and are black/red.

• 5 weeks later...

think I've posted on this guy before. found more on him:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4fpf1-s1E8&feature=related]YouTube - R-ONE Fourcross Scrapbook PART 1[/ame]

I'm currently looking at the following rigs:

Cannondale Rush 5

Specialized FSR XC (Pro, I think)

Giant Trance X2

Giant Anthem 2

I think I'd be happy with any of them, to be honest, but I'm looking for cons for any of the above. I know some are more aggressive, some have more travel, etc... but are there any major drawbacks to any of the above? I'm not a racer, but I don't think I want a couch on wheels. Probably a happy medium if it's possible.

I don't ask for much, do I? :lol:

As a follow up, I guess one of my main concerns is a multi-pivot rear suspension (Specialized/Giant) versus a single pivot (Cannondale). Reliability and durability are pretty high on my list so it seems the single pivot would be the logical choice, right?

Used to have/ride for Chumba (f4 below)

Also have a 1st Gen Cannondale Chase for daily rider

Just ordered an m6 :)

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u160/awalla5150/bikepics006-1.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u160/awalla5150/m6_main.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u160/awalla5150/DSCN1784.jpg

Sweet!

Moab is still on my todo list. I heard they charge you various fees to ride different trails/sections. Is this true?

There is a fee to enter the Sand Flats Rec. Area and there are shuttles for Porcupine Rim. Other than that, all the other trails are free.

Skratch -

Based on the models you are looking at i assume you want to spend around 2 grand? Out of the models you have chosen i would go with specialized, but not the fsr xc pro. Spend the extra 300-500 dollars (depending on which shop) and get the stumpjumper fsr comp. Better components all around and a lighter frame. Go to a shop and pick them both up. There is a couple pounds difference. The stumpjumper also has an inch more travel without inducing extra pedal-bob, giving you plenty of travel to ride cross country trails and enough to attempt some all mountain stuff as well. You may be able to find an '07 stumpjumper fsr on sale as well, i know a couple of the local shops still have them, and everybody is passing them up. It is the exact same bike except they moved the rear shock to allow a for a full seatpost(on the '07's they would only go down so far before hitting the bump stop to prevent damaging the rear shock.)

Specialized has a test-ride program. The shop i work for (hobby job :D) has stumpjumper fsr's and epics for free demo for a day. Call your local specialized dealer and see if they offer that program. I used to ride a stumpjumper expert, but a friend let me ride his Santa Cruz Blur LT a year ago and i have not looked back since. Don't buy anything without riding on a trail, riding around a parking lot will not give you a good feel for how the bike will handle in the woods. Find an employee at a shop and see if they ride one of the bikes you are interested in, then ask if they will meet you out on the trail to let you ride it. You don't want to spend 2 grand and then be unhappy, bike lose their value as fast or faster than cars.

As far as reliability and durability goes, proper maintenance will ensure the bike will last no matter how hard it is ridden, just like your car. Most shops offer some sort of maintenance plan. I also suggest learning how to work on the rear pivots yourself. At the end of a ride if i have some new noises, everything gets re-lubed and torqued back to proper spec. Especially a new bike that has not had the pressure of a rider, the bolts have yet to seat real well and will loosen up within the first month generally. A single pivot is not going to be more reliable than a multi-link or VPP or any other type out there, it really depends on how well the bike is taken care of.

I'm selling my '08 Giant Reign X1. Sl eggbeaters and flats, Stylo 3.3 team cranks (dropped bike by over a pound) for $2,300. Size 18 or M, idk just thought I would throw it out there. Its a good deal, its a great bike, I'm trying to get a house sooner then I expected so I'm selling everything, even the car.

P.S:

Specialized is one of the many bike co. that is made buy Giant. This means that they pay giant to make a frame and then add the cost to the bike. Hence you can get more bike for your money for someone that makes their own frames. Not trying to say Giant is the best but I would not buy a Specialized....ever. Checkout MTBR.com for more on riders reviews of almost every bike make. If i was to do it again i woul get a Ibis Mojo,lol, thats just me.

Giant is the frame manufacturer because they have the factories to build the frames(unless it is a carbon bike). They DO NOT design any of the frames or original prototypes of new bikes. They basically steal designs, tweak them so they do not infringe on patents and copyrights and then resell them as their own. Giants for the most part are shit. I would recommend buying a 3 year old trek fuel that had bushings instead of bearings in the rear pivots before i told somebody to go look at giants. But everybody has their opinion. Also how many manufacturers can you take a $3600 bike for a free test ride on a trail?

Archived