LegacyGT.com

Cooling Fan Relay TSB Now Available

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
question, i didnt read all 7 pages.

this is an 05 tsb correct? i just bought my 05 back in july, new from the dealer. would they fix this problem of do i have to call them up on it?

ok, i just read though the 7 pages. if they replace my ecu and relay, will this fix my stutter problem?:icon_wink

if they replace my ecu and relay, will this fix my stutter problem?:icon_wink

^ Unknown....

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Out of curiosity ... I took both my old and new relays apart (removed grey cover) to see the differences.

They are identical with the exception of the element parrallel to the solenoid coil.

The old coil had a diode.

The new coil has a resistor... it looks like a 12.2 ohm resistor.

THAT is the only difference in the two that I could see.

Out of curiosity ... I took both my old and new relays apart (removed grey cover) to see the differences.

They are identical with the exception of the element parrallel to the solenoid coil.

That is the only difference according to the TSB

Dealer confirmed my car is affected by this TSB. They are ordering a new relay and ECU.

i heard the same thing this morning.

since my car has 38K miles on it, they said they were gonna charge me $17 for the relay and $15 to install, and then the ECU replacement would be free when it comes in :lol:

i told em i already got the relay, just in case they go on intergalactic backorder(this happens with Toyota, who i work as a tech for). so when i drop the car off for the ECU i'll throw the new relay in, and avoid the fee.

the tech then came over to me to ask what HID kit i had in the car :lol:

Mine was ordered two weeks ago by the dealer and it still hasn't arrived. I've called a couple times and they always get snippy, telling me to wait for them to call. I think I have a right to ask if its in when they told me it will take 3-4 days and now its been 2 weeks.:mad:

Mine was ordered two weeks ago by the dealer and it still hasn't arrived. I've called a couple times and they always get snippy, telling me to wait for them to call. I think I have a right to ask if its in when they told me it will take 3-4 days and now its been 2 weeks.:mad:

Get a soldering iron.. a resistor.. and retrofit your current relay... FTW!

I don't think it is a plain 12.2 ohm resistor in parallel with the coil. When I measured the coil terminals on the new relay I got 100+ ohms. If the parallel resistor were just a normal 12.2 ohm unit the reading would have been much lower. They are most likely using a non-linear resistor like a ZNR. These things are high resistance with low applied voltage but then snap to a low resistance above a certain voltage.

• 2 weeks later...
Trying to get some clarification - My fan comes on when the temperature reaches a certain level and stays on. If I turn off the car, the fan goes off and won't kick back on until it reaches temp again. Do I have the fan problem? Or is this maybe the early stages?

Trying to get some clarification - My fan comes on when the temperature reaches a certain level and stays on. If I turn off the car, the fan goes off and won't kick back on until it reaches temp again. Do I have the fan problem? Or is this maybe the early stages?

Your fan is working as it should.

I got my ECU replaced a long time ago. My fan has been on alot lately. It comes on as soon as I turn on the car.

Then when I turn it off it goes off. When I turn the ignition back on without starting the car the fan turns on. When I cycle between ACC an ON again the fan turns off.

Do I need ANOTHER new ECU or is my ECU not yet fried...

Is it possible that I can pull the relay temporarily until I get a new one to prevent damage to my ECU?

I got my ECU replaced a long time ago. My fan has been on alot lately. It comes on as soon as I turn on the car.

Then when I turn it off it goes off. When I turn the ignition back on without starting the car the fan turns on. When I cycle between ACC an ON again the fan turns off.

Do I need ANOTHER new ECU or is my ECU not yet fried...

Is it possible that I can pull the relay temporarily until I get a new one to prevent damage to my ECU?

Did they replace the relay too?

Anyone know where this relay is located and how to switch out the old one with the new one? I had the dealer order one but I am sure they want to charge the 90/hr rate and at that priced i'd do it myself unless its an extra $10 or so installed.

Archived