LegacyGT.com

Cooling Fan Relay TSB Now Available

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a major dilemma... I know that my ecu is fried, but I can't take it in to the dealer because I can't unmarry my AP. I have too many things done to the car, including a turbo/injector swap that if I unmarry my AP, my car will not run :( ... What do I do?

I just hope that this is just a fan issue and will not cause other problems down the road.

If you don't do the work yourself it would be more expensive to switch back to stock then paying for a new ECM. I'd take it in with your mods. The service bulletin points out a faulty relay that will cause ECM damage. I doubt they can pin the problem on your mods and it should be covered under warrenty. Be sure to bring copies of the service bulletin with you. Make sure they are aware of your mods so they don't go driving it around with out the proper map management. Good luck.

Oh and my fan has come on 9 out of the last 10 start ups. Very consistent now. I have a call into the dealership...waiting for a call back. Time to unmarry.

Dealer diagnosed my problem and took care of the ecu under warranty. The relay I had to pay for. When I brought it in I was showing like 4-6 check engine codes. Dealer replaced the ecu and sent me on my merry way with no questions asked.

I have a major dilemma... I know that my ecu is fried, but I can't take it in to the dealer because I can't unmarry my AP. I have too many things done to the car, including a turbo/injector swap that if I unmarry my AP, my car will not run :( ... What do I do?

I just hope that this is just a fan issue and will not cause other problems down the road.

Swap the injectors back to stock, umarry the ECU and drive like grandma to get there. Or pull the turbo and Injectors. Its about a 4 hr process.

Unmarried last night. The GD fan ran the entire time! I swore it was going to kill my battery. Luckly it didn't. Everything went ok....cranked the car for about 8 seconds...she rolled over and I went for a little spin. Damn, I know stage 1 is only about a 10-13% improvement in overall power but it sure shows. Above 3500 I just kept waiting for something to happen. Stock sure feels a bit weird and slow.

Anyway car is at the dealer today with a copy of the service bulliten. Hope it all gets worked out.

Lastly, why are you guys paying for the relay? It's a faulty part and should be covered under warrenty.

Crap! I think my ecu is fried now too. I finally got my relay before the weekend but I didn't put it in because I wasn't sure if my ecu was ok. My fan seemed to be coming on quite often. Well, I checked yesterday and this morning.

Start car: fans do not turn on.

Drive <.5 miles: Drivers side fan turns on.

Fan stays on until I turn off car.

Restart car: Fan stays off.

Is my ecu hosed?

How long does it take the dealer to replace the ecu?

Is it, day one take it in to be diagnosed, dealer orders ecu, come back 2 weeks later for the install, or is it diagnose, swap and go in the same day?

Crap! I think my ecu is fried now too. I finally got my relay before the weekend but I didn't put it in because I wasn't sure if my ecu was ok. My fan seemed to be coming on quite often. Well, I checked yesterday and this morning.

Start car: fans do not turn on.

Drive <.5 miles: Drivers side fan turns on.

Fan stays on until I turn off car.

Restart car: Fan stays off.

Is my ecu hosed? If every time you start your car the fan comes on....yes. If it's not consistent...not sure, but seems to get worse over time.

How long does it take the dealer to replace the ecu? Shouldn't take too long.

Is it, day one take it in to be diagnosed, dealer orders ecu, come back 2 weeks later for the install, or is it diagnose, swap and go in the same day?

Depending on dealer they probably would have to order one. I'd think 3 days shipping should do it. Figure a good week for it to get sorted out.

Just got a voicemail from the dealership. Ok, I honestly think this place is run by pack of primates. They said that the fan is operating normally....it comes on with the defrost and AC. NO SH*T. DID YOU TRY IT WITH NOTHING ON! IT STILL COMES ON! OH, and my car is not effected because of the VIN. Did you read the service bulliten.....cars as of 5/06 have the new relay, thus any car prior has the fault prone one.

OH and I had a door handle replaced a few weeks back....they nicked the interior plastic trim so the silver part has a nice black streak about a 1/2 long. Dumbass primate got in there with a screw driver to pry the old one off and scratched it. EVER HERE OF MAYBE PUTTING A SHOP TOWEL BETWEEN THE SCREWDRIVER AND PLASTIC! In order to fix it they have to replace the entire door panel. Ah....you scratched my trim and the new handle isn't the same "black" as the original...so no thanks I'll live with it. Guess what was on the voicemail? WE REPLACED YOUR DOOR PANEL, YOUR READY TO GO. YOU F'IN JACKA** DID YOU NOT HEAR ME!?

Can the relay be replaced without an issue present?

Several months ago I had my ECU replaced due to the cooling fan issue. This was before the relay became available. My work order does not show that they installed anything other than the ECU.

To make sure I don't bake another ECU, will the dealer install the relay?

Several months ago I had my ECU replaced due to the cooling fan issue. This was before the relay became available. My work order does not show that they installed anything other than the ECU.

I called my local dealer a couple of months back and they said they would not replace the ECU until the relay has failed.

pick one up to be safe. it's like $15.

can someone show me (I have tried already) where to find a post on removing the relay for the cooling fan. I went and replaced my relay on my car 2006 GT, but the dealer said I didnt have to replace the ECU. (I told him it needs to be replaced). But anyways, I want to see if they actually did anything, by checking the part number on the new one they claimed to have installed. Somebody help me out on where to locate this relay. my fan seems to still be on at 61 degress at night.

Dealership found no problem with my car an its operating normally. BS!!!!:mad:

I pick it up and its sitting there in front of the office...fans blasting away...temp on C. I go in and pull the service desk manager out. Told him what I brought it in for showed him the bulliten. He says..."i never heard a car do that on cold start up." Looks like you fall in the VIN range. Call back tomorrow". Ahh no thanks...Off to another dealership!

can someone show me (I have tried alreay) where to find a post on removing the relay for the cooling fan. I went and replaced my relay on my car 2006 GT, but the dealer said I didnt have to replace the ECU. (I told him it needs to be replaced).

ECU doesn't need to be replaced unless the cooling fans are staying on all the time.

ECU doesn't need to be replaced unless the cooling fans are staying on all the time.

Yep.....

If your radiator fans are running all the time... your ECU is hosed. Time for a new ECU. If it isn't... then replace the relay and move on....

Your dealership sucks!

you are correct sir. i will not be going back. going to another dealer. i'm going to at least have them get the relay if not more.

BTW...the stock map is picking up a little steam. Not as bad when first flashed....as expected. Although the st st st studder is worse. Can't wait till the crap is over with.

I finally got mine. Must have been some kind of miscommunication in the parts department...

I don't think it is possible to remove this relay without accidentally removing the plastic cover. No biggie.

FYI, her is what the old one looks like. You can just make out the resistor...

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m166/sandyandmike/IMG_6932.jpg

can someone please post a pic of the new relay to help me out. I dont think my dealer did a darn thing.

I should have asked to see the old one but I forgot.

can someone please post a pic of the new relay to help me out. I dont think my dealer did a darn thing.

I should have asked to see the old one but I forgot.

They look exactly the same from the outside. Just look at the number in the side of the relay... the old one will have the number in the photo above... the new one will have a different #.

Archived