LegacyGT.com

Cooling Fan Relay TSB Now Available

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it doesnt cause damage to teh vehicle when it fails... the circuit was designed to turn the fans on as a failsafe. if it was something dangerous or that could be detrimental to the engine, then they would have been recalled. a TSB is a way for them to say "yes theres a problem, but we dont want to fix it if not all the cars are affected because we cant figure out the exact groupe of cars that is affected.

i got mine fixed finally last friday. its nice to drive with the windows down and not hear the fans blowing everytime to stop... i had the relay ahead of time so i just put it in when i dropped the car off for the ECU. its only like $35 parts and labor for them to install the relay for you. mine actually broke apart on removal, i had to use pliers to get all the pieces out of the fuse/relay box

i recently noticed that my fan will turn on only at temp (not KOEO) and it will stay on untill i turn off ign/acc.... then i can restart the car with the fan off and it will kick on after a minute or so and stay on again...

of to the dealership with the tsb in hand...

i recently noticed that my fan will turn on only at temp (not KOEO) and it will stay on untill i turn off ign/acc.... then i can restart the car with the fan off and it will kick on after a minute or so and stay on again...

of to the dealership with the tsb in hand...

Sounds like if you have the fan problem at all it's a relatively mild case. My fan kicks on full blast right when I start the car (even after sitting overnight at ~50 degrees) and stays going for the whole time the car is running. I had the problem fixed last year (service receipt says both relay and ECU replacement) and it was good for about 8 months but it's back now. So, I'm off to the dealer again to see if they can fix it and understand why the previous ECU and relay replacement didn't last.

... I had the problem fixed last year (service receipt says both relay and ECU replacement) and it was good for about 8 months but it's back now. So, I'm off to the dealer again to see if they can fix it and understand why the previous ECU and relay replacement didn't last.

It probably didn't last because the relay they replaced it with was identical to the original and not the re-designed relay that will permanently fix the problem.

After seeing some of the reposnses about the fan issues and my earlier question, I need to get some clarification on the fan issue.

1) Does the TSB only apply to cars where the fan comes on right away?

2) Is the situation where the fan comes on after the car gets to a certain point and NEVER goes off, no matter how long the ride or temp thereafter, Normal?

I have #2 and it is annoying to come to the stop after a long highway ride on a 65 degree day and have the fan wailing away. If I turn the car off and re-start, the fan doesn't come on again.

Whadup? For people that have had this problem fixed, which camp did you fall into?

1. Is the "main cooling fan" the smaller of the two fans on the car? The small one runs continuous on mine.

2. Took the car to the dealer to diagnose the problem (before I found this thread) and they ordered me the relay. I installed it, but it did not fix the problem. ECM must be fried. What are the odds of getting the dealer to replace the ECM under warranty? (I am at 38k and change right now, and I bought the car used with 37k and change)

3. If I have to pay for the ECM to be replaced, how much $$$ am I looking at?

4. Once this problem is solved, would it be possible to see a slight gain in fuel efficiency? Seems to me that from a cold start, the cooling fan will prohibit the car from warming up quickly, thus running richer for a longer period....

5. Finally, if a monkey bites you, what kind of shots would you need to get?:confused:

Don't know if this has been talked about in this post as I haven't been through the whole thing but:

I had the problem where my fan was on constantly and had my ECU replaced before the new relay came out. The problem I was having now was that the fan would come on when the car got hot and would never shut off until I powered the car off and then on again. I just replaced my relay with the new version and the fan goes on and off as it is supposed to now.

Don't know if this has been talked about in this post as I haven't been through the whole thing but:

I had the problem where my fan was on constantly and had my ECU replaced before the new relay came out. The problem I was having now was that the fan would come on when the car got hot and would never shut off until I powered the car off and then on again. I just replaced my relay with the new version and the fan goes on and off as it is supposed to now.

i never actually made it to my appt.... hopefully in the next couple of days i can get down to the dealer and get the part under warranty...

I've had my car since it had 10K on it. Now it has 20K on it and the entire time I've had the car the fan has run constantly. Here's the big question: since my ECU is flashed by PDX tuning I would probably have to pay them to reflash a brand new ECU, so what if I just leave the stupid fan running all the time (which I don't even notice anymore)??? Will something end up frying completely and really screw my car up, or is this nothing more than a minor cooling fan annoyance?

I've had my car since it had 10K on it. Now it has 20K on it and the entire time I've had the car the fan has run constantly. Here's the big question: since my ECU is flashed by PDX tuning I would probably have to pay them to reflash a brand new ECU, so what if I just leave the stupid fan running all the time (which I don't even notice anymore)??? Will something end up frying completely and really screw my car up, or is this nothing more than a minor cooling fan annoyance?

the ecu is already fried.... :lol:

A question I have is since i've modified the fuel pump assembly to fit a walbro (and it has since changed along with the ecu pin outs, see article 11-75-05), will the new ecu work with an old fuel pump assembly?

Edit: Dealership ordered the relay and should cost me $15 here in atlanta when it arrives, for comparison.

Getting mine replaced today, picking it up tomorrow. Ecu and relay covered so no cost to me at all. Dealer even reflashed my ecu back with ecutec and my map. Good to live near a dealership that deals in ECU reflashing :)

Relay took 3 days to get in and ECU arrived over night. I called in the TSB so i could avoid the wait on the relay. FYI they send the ecu for just your revision of the car. The new ecu was revision 4 and the old one i had was revision 1. Wonder what changed...

First, I want to thank Jon(in CT) and everyone else who provided input on this problem. It really helped and is appreciated! I want to post my experiences in the hope that others learn from my mistakes.

Like many others, I had problems with a continuously running main fan. After reading the information on this site I contacted the dealer where I purchased my GT, Santa Cruz Subaru, discussed the problem with them and discussed the TSB. I even mentioned the parts which might need replacement in the hope that they would be prepared when I came in.

The dealer inspected the car, replaced the relay, and then told me they had to order the ECU. I returned 2 weeks later to have the ECU installed. After working two hours on my car the Service Advisor asked "Do you have the little metal Security ID Code tag? We can't finish your car without it." I had to borrow a car and make a 120 mile round-trip home to get the information they needed. When I returned they asked me for all my extra keys, as they required reprogrammed to work with the new ECU. Unfortunately, I keep them at home in a safe place along with the Security code. Why they neglected to mention these things to me up front, I don't know.

So now I have one key which works and two that don't, and I have to make another 120 mile reoun-trip to Santa Cruz to get them programmed. I wish the dealer had told me up front what I had to provide for the repair, as it would have made the process much easier. When I spoke to the Service Manager about having the correct replacement parts in stock he said "We go on a case-by-case basis and do not order ahead." At least the car is running without problems.

I suggest that you take your Security Code and extra keys with you if you are having the ECU replaced due to the relay problem.

I finally got mine. Must have been some kind of miscommunication in the parts department...

I don't think it is possible to remove this relay without accidentally removing the plastic cover. No biggie.

FYI, her is what the old one looks like. You can just make out the resistor...

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m166/sandyandmike/IMG_6932.jpg

Archived