LegacyGT.com

Cooling Fan Relay TSB Now Available

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quoted $15 and some odd cents for the relay - ordered. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ I honestly don't know....good question, brother Jim. :) I just want to pay for it and avoid dealing with the dealer as much as possible, LOL! :lol: Especially since my ECU is still A-OK (knock on wood!).

mccorry - Beats me, bro. I have no clue why our prices are so drastically different. I had her check the part number twice, and read it back once on top of that.

I'll let you know on Friday as to whether or not I got the correct component, as well as how much it actually cost.

Even with tax, mine doesn't come to nearly what you paid. :(

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

mccorry - Beats me, bro. I have no clue why our prices are so drastically different. I had her check the part number twice, and read it back once on top of that.

I'll let you know on Friday as to whether or not I got the correct component, as well as how much it actually cost.

I am definately going to question them. I think they must've quoted me the CDN price! :lol: Let me know when you get yours... cause I am on hold.. they are telling me it is on nationwide backorder.

My car is currently at the dealership to look at my cooling fan issue (driver side fan always running). And they will be replacing the ECU (but nothing about a relay, which I asked about). Hopefully, this will be the fix for me and this wont start over again.

It is like that here too. The dealer near my office wanted $15 and change. The one near my parent's place wanted $20. I suspect there is a lot of markup and some dealers will give you a break if you are a frequent parts customer. When I ordered an oil pan for a friend's Maxima I was quoted $160. A buddy of mine, who does a lot of business with the dealership I called, got it for me for $97 tax in. Keep in mind that the relay probably costs Subaru ~ $5 so they have a lot of flexibility in their markup.

My car is currently at the dealership to look at my cooling fan issue (driver side fan always running). And they will be replacing the ECU (but nothing about a relay, which I asked about). Hopefully, this will be the fix for me and this wont start over again.

That won't fix it.

The TSB is very clear that the problem IS the relay. The relay is bad, short circuits the ECU, and requires replacing both to fix it.

Make sure they read and understand the TSB before doing the work to your car, otherwise it will be a waste of both yours and their time.

Ya'll need to check page two of this thread where they tell you where to find it....

TheL7 - Your "unauthorized" BL/BP Model Legacy Information Source

Getting my relay and ECU #4 tomorrow. I was one of the original posters with this problem, and it's been 20,000 miles of problems with the fan. Don't forget to take ALL of your keys with you as they need to be reprogrammed. A bummer for me since I have an auto-start which has a key imbedded in the dash.

One thing no one seems to be noticing is that the TSB is very specific and this ONLY applies to TURBO's with MANUAL TRANNIES...

Here's hoping they got the fix right this time...I'm tired of this ritual with the dealer where they play dumb until they figure out that I was right to begin with. Bringing the actual TSB to the service guy seemed to get his attention, though....thanks for the heads up, guys. Knowledge is indeed power.

-AK

I got my relay on Tuesday and installed it without any issues. It was $15.58.

^ Confirmed same pricing on my end. :)

i go in monday for this. already bought the relay, and put it in, but the fan still runs, so the ECU must be shot.

also, the relay i got was the Cooling Fan2 relay.. not the large on by the fuses.

strange thing is, if i remove the relay, the fan stays running... i guess the fans are always on unless commanded off... "backwards" from a typical car.

the dealer wont have the ECU in stock..so i'll have to make another appointment once they find the TSB...

i got hte relay just in case they suddenly go on back-order, so i'll leave it in the car when i go in to get hte ECU replaced, that way they dont replace the ECU, release the car and have the old part damage the new ECU, and have to do it all over again.

i suppose i could just put the new relay in..then when they replace it, they will take it as a warranty part, despite it being a "good" one.

so i decided to replace the relay on my obxt today. I have an '06 built in 02/06 so i was within the range. i wasn't having the fan issues (well other than the climate control system just sucking) so i just picked up the relay at my dealer for about $17+tax. pulling the old relay out was kinda a PITA, but i got it. here is a pic of where the relay is:

http://homepage.mac.com/rserven/images/obxt/obxtrelay2.jpg

sorry for the bad pic, its off my cellphone, i didnt have my digi cam on me.

yeah, i also replaced mine, with no results becuase the ECU is already fried, but that gets fixed Monday :)

my relay was a pain to remove too, it actually seperated, the outer case came off first, then i had to pull it by the one "bracket" inside it, which popped off that part, then the main bracket inside became easily accessible, so then it finally pulled out of the relay box.

Archived