LegacyGT.com

Cooling Fan Relay TSB Now Available

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone had success getting the realy replaced at a dealer without the cooling fan being stuck?

I left my car at a dealer today for other issues, mention this problem as well, but they refused to do it, unless the fan is stuck.

How stupid, when it happens they would have to replace ECU as well.

Will replace it myself.

this must be the first time parts are actually cheaper up here :lol:

The part online is $11.something. My local dealer asks MSRP ($15.something). $22 is rip-off!

Anyone had success getting the realy replaced at a dealer without the cooling fan being stuck?

I left my car at a dealer today for other issues, mention this problem as well, but they refused to do it, unless the fan is stuck.

How stupid, when it happens they would have to replace ECU as well.

Will replace it myself.

I asked the service guy at Subaru of Schaumburg the same thing and got the same answer. I questioned him about why they were waiting for a cheap part to fail that also takes the big money ECU with it and he said don't worry because the ECU was waranteed for 8 yrs 80k miles by law. I still don't get it unless the number crunchers did their thing and came to the conclusion that just replacing failures when they arise makes the most economic sense for them. :icon_conf

They must have run the numbers and concluded that lots of cars will fail after 80k miles, so then they will make money on selling ECUs!

You probably hit the nail on the head.

If my relay hasn't failed by 80k, I'll replace it myself I guess.

You probably hit the nail on the head.

If my relay hasn't failed by 80k, I'll replace it myself I guess.

C'mon, it's only $15 and 5 minutes of work.

I'd be hell annoyed if the fan was stuck in the middle of a long road trip.

I just got done reading all 158 posts. My 06 vin isnt listed on the TSB but I'm having the symptoms. My fan is constantly running so I am taking the day off to see the dealer tmw. I already called the parts department and they didn’t have the order number for the new relay in stock. I thought I was the only one with this issue after realizing that my car was starting to sound like an European car with the fan always on. Legacygt.com is the best. Thanks ya'll

• 2 weeks later...
My new ECU has been on order for three weeks and the dealerships has been telling me of a back-order problem. Has anyone else been given this story?

I dropped mine off on Friday 10/13 , and it was ready by Tuesday 10/17 morning.

Where are you?

They may be feeding you BS.

X

---

^^^ If the fan is on, then you will need a new ECU as well. It measn the ECU is toast.

I really love my service department. They take care of me, and they have always delivered really fast. They are usually not extremely busy either.

When I went to pick up my car, there were two tech standing around waiting for work.

If your ECU is repalced, you will need to bring your extra keys with you when you pick it up so they can program the extra keys.

X

---

I ordered mine about 3 weeks ago and they don't bother to call me when they have it. I called yesterday and they told me they have it so I went in and got it fixed. Now my fan is happy ;-)

Don't forget to bring all your keys/remote and a small metal tag on the keychain when you purchase the car, they need those to reprogram the ECU.

Wow....just read all of the posts to catch up. I thought I had the problem back in the summer but after reading about the symptoms I figured my "issue" was just do to the warm weather. Now I think I do have the "early" to "mid" stages. My fan or fans do not come on immediately upon start up or with my key in the on position (without engine on). But it comes on when my engine temp is at about 1/4 to 1/3. Seems kinda early. It came on today again....car was only on for about 3-4 minutes...42 degrees outside and never reached higher then 20mph or above 3K rpm in that 4 minutes. Pulled into work 15 minutes later and of course it was blasting away....but I was sitting in some traffic...so it probably should be on.

Guess I should head off to the dealer?:confused:

Oh, anyone have any issues reflashing a newly installed ECM with your AP? I remember reading that older AP's for the '05 may not recognize a new ECM.

Mine turned on as soon as the car was one and never went off until I turned the car back off, that is how I knew.

It was never off, never.

X

Thanks....Hmm...its hard to tell upon start up cause the car idles for a few minutes at like 1500 RPM and drowns out any fan noise. I'll start her up at work and get out of the car to take a listen. Even so, isn't 1/4 temp a little soon to kick on?

I honestly think my car knows when I get the pen and paper out to record what its doing. It immediately is on its best behavior. Anyway....test...

Car was sitting for 3 1/2 hours. Cold startup...let it idle for 10 minutes, gets up to normal temp, no heater or anything on....no fan. Short 3 minute drive to Target with a couple of quick bursts to 5000RPM. Park...no fan. WTF! This morning it ran after 3 minutes. Anyway....start up after Target...turn AC/Defroster on....passenger fan comes on...that's normal. Shut off AC/Defroster....passenger fan shuts off....normal.

I'm happy and pissed all at the same time. Seems I don't have the problem to the degree the ECM needs replaced. I'll get the relay ordered and hope that solves any oddities. Unless somebody thinks the ECM may be effected already?

Archived