LegacyGT.com

Cooling Fan Relay TSB Now Available

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the part is in the canadian system, I've had my replaced a while ago

post #62 here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/warranty-issues-problems/36321-cooling-fan-stuck-again-5.html

just so everyone knows, the TSB is not in the Canadian system yet. I just faxed a copy to my dealer.

as for the relay, PN 82501AG120 doesn't exist in the dealer system yet. it is available if they call Subaru Canada and special order it. The part is ~$15CND.

I'm hoping the old relay hasn't damaged my new ecu.... for $15 I'm not taking a chance.

did some more "testing" let the fan kick on (cause it never kicks on right away, even if I turn the car off and then immediately turn the car back on) ran it on the highway for about 4 or 5 miles and then checked it.. Fan on driver's side still running.. fan on passenger side not running.. turn A/C on and left car in driveway driver side running passenger side NOT running????

basically when the electric fan kicks on.. it doesn't shut off till I turn the power to the car off... that is one differance from most people on here

the other differance is that it doesn't kick on right away the car has to be running for about 10 minutes before it kicks on...??

so is this there a worsening effect that will happen?

what is the jazz I am hearing about subaru not replacing ECU? is this if the car isn't stock? if my ECU is screwed up on a completely stock car after one year I will definately be putting up my dooks...

.....basically when the electric fan kicks on.. it doesn't shut off till I turn the power to the car off... that is one differance from most people on here

the other differance is that it doesn't kick on right away the car has to be running for about 10 minutes before it kicks on...??...

That's what mine does. But I can get the fan to turn on early, even before the engine is warmed up, by turning on the AC.

I'll have to remember that - I'm building a DIY RPM triggered circuit that drives a relay, and only have it set up with a diode across the coil. I have a 16 volt zener set up to protect the circuit, but should probably add a resistor as well.

For $15 for the updated relay, perhaps I can convince my dealer to just give me one. Who knows, they may just do it...

-Ryan

A safer way to clamp it would be to get rid of the zener to ground and install a diode with the anode to the line to be protected, the cathode to a cap, the other end of the cap to ground and a bleeder resistor in parallel with the cap. just make sure the cap is of the poly film variety so it is fast enough to clamp the transient.

the part is in the canadian system, I've had my replaced a while ago

post #62 here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/warranty-issues-problems/36321-cooling-fan-stuck-again-5.html

there's a difference between being in the canadian system and the dealer system.... the dealers periodically get a download from subaru canada which updates their local database. the point I was trying to make is that a dealer may come up dry when given the part number. they need to be told that it is new and to contact subaru canada to order the part if it isn't in their computer. when my dealer did a search there was no such part number. the part manager had to log on to the subaru canada site to find it.

did some more "testing" let the fan kick on (cause it never kicks on right away, even if I turn the car off and then immediately turn the car back on) ran it on the highway for about 4 or 5 miles and then checked it.. Fan on driver's side still running.. fan on passenger side not running.. turn A/C on and left car in driveway driver side running passenger side NOT running????

basically when the electric fan kicks on.. it doesn't shut off till I turn the power to the car off... that is one differance from most people on here

the other differance is that it doesn't kick on right away the car has to be running for about 10 minutes before it kicks on...??

so is this there a worsening effect that will happen?

what is the jazz I am hearing about subaru not replacing ECU? is this if the car isn't stock? if my ECU is screwed up on a completely stock car after one year I will definately be putting up my dooks...

give it a month it will get worse :icon_wink

give it a month it will get worse :icon_wink

okay so it is the same problem.. just wierd that it "gets worse" given it is screwing up the "ECU" usually electronics just take a dump.. and that is it..

anyway, I don't have differant behavior if the A/C is on or off.. to reply to 'outahere'

either way I think it is unanimous that I have something wrong with my car.. BUT there is a fix right? or does the fix just start the process over again?

I just ordered the new relay through the dealer....

Price quoted was $22.50

is this the same number as the one listed earlier (canadian) also do install instructions come with relay if not were is relay located?

bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

is this the same number as the one listed earlier (canadian) also do install instructions come with relay if not were is relay located?

bosco

It was the part # right off the TSB... same one.

I picked up a relay today... $15.62 cnd.

My initial guess as to what they did internally was wrong. They didn't simply add some resistance in series with the clamp diode. They actually replaced it entirely with a varistor (tranzorb) style clamp. The part is a Mitsuba RC-5101. I couldn't find the datasheet (didn't look too hard) so I took some x-rays to see inside the package :icon_mrgr .

side.jpg.678ae2fe4b76e4790f1f8ba170630d80.jpg

side_rotated.jpg.6b4742c2091c7dacd3b327087ecaa39a.jpg

bosco

I'll try to snap some photos on the weekend. The instructions in the TSB are not exactly complete. There are two main fan relays and a sub fan relay. The tsb instructions imply that there is only one main fan relay. I think the correct one is main fan relay 2 in the underhood fuse box (It is the only one with 5 pins). Opie can probably verify this.

Dealer look at my relay today, told me it's shot and the ECU had to be replaced as well. I had no problems with the dealer and everything was covered under warranty.

:whore:

ECM (what "they" call it) ordered yesterday, should be in tomorrow. I even brought the TSB with me just in case I had problems convincing them it was a real problem, didn't even need it.

I talked to the service counter at Dwyer and Sons (Commerce Township, MI) today when I was checking to see if a part was in, and they said they haven't seen a single car come through that has had the always on fan problem. They were aware of the TSB. Just a data point...

-Ryan

Also - If you take your car in, don't forget to bring all your keys. They all have to be reset with the new ECU. FYI for those DIY guys.

Recieved my car back yesturday with new relay and ECU. The car feels a little smoother now, maybe the old one was damaged from the relay or maybe it's just in my head.

Has anyone else notice anything different with the new ECU?

My wife's balls are delicious.

Archived