LegacyGT.com

Cooling Fan Relay TSB Now Available

I'm happy and pissed all at the same time. Seems I don't have the problem to the degree the ECM needs replaced. I'll get the relay ordered and hope that solves any oddities. Unless somebody thinks the ECM may be effected already?

From what I understand when the fan relay fails, it takes the ECU with it. If your fan is acting up then the ECU has been damaged.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I understand, once the ECU is damaged, your fan will neer turn off.

Happened to me.

If you want to be happy, just bring it to the dealership, but I am not sure if they will replace the relays.

Happiest? Just buy the relay and replace it, but keep the old one in case your ECU does go bad and you need to bring it in. Swap it before you bring it in so that you don;t make them all confused.

X

---

Ok laz and others.....get this....

So I leave work yesterday...start up the car which had been sitting for 5 hours. The G#%DAMN drivers side fan comes on immediatly after the engine kicks on and is blowing full blast! So I shut the car off, turn on again....still blasting away. Turn car off and on again....still blowing....WTF! I say f it and drive off. About 3 miles down the road stop at a stop light....fan blowing. Shut off the car and back on again....no fan....WHHHAAAT? Get home...no fan. Go out to pick up dinner....no fan. This morning...fan on again.

Verdict?

1. Replace relay only

2. Need relay and new ECM

3. Poltergeist

Just take it ot the dealership where unclemat took his! :icon_bigg

Scratch that, just take it to the delaership and get your ECU goodness fix under warranty.

Did mine and it was painless, and I am a happy camper, execept for my car feeling slower until the ECU re-learns.

X

---

Just take it ot the dealership where unclemat took his! :icon_bigg

Scratch that, just take it to the delaership and get your ECU goodness fix under warranty.

Did mine and it was painless, and I am a happy camper, execept for my car feeling slower until the ECU re-learns.

X

i need to do it soon....dealership that is. i have a tdc stage 2 map, invidia up and crucial shorty standing by.

I honestly think my car knows when I get the pen and paper out to record what its doing. It immediately is on its best behavior. Anyway....test...

Car was sitting for 3 1/2 hours. Cold startup...let it idle for 10 minutes, gets up to normal temp, no heater or anything on....no fan. Short 3 minute drive to Target with a couple of quick bursts to 5000RPM. Park...no fan. WTF! This morning it ran after 3 minutes. Anyway....start up after Target...turn AC/Defroster on....passenger fan comes on...that's normal. Shut off AC/Defroster....passenger fan shuts off....normal.

I'm happy and pissed all at the same time. Seems I don't have the problem to the degree the ECM needs replaced. I'll get the relay ordered and hope that solves any oddities. Unless somebody thinks the ECM may be effected already?

These are the early signs :(

"early signs"...ECM is already damaged? or just the relay swap should do the trick?

That I have no idea. Mine did that come on after a short drive then never turn off then it was just on all the time. This was all long before they knew what was wrong.

That I have no idea. Mine did that come on after a short drive then never turn off then it was just on all the time. This was all long before they knew what was wrong.

sorry for not going through the prior 180+ post but what did you do to solve yours?

I have a major dilemma... I know that my ecu is fried, but I can't take it in to the dealer because I can't unmarry my AP. I have too many things done to the car, including a turbo/injector swap that if I unmarry my AP, my car will not run :( ... What do I do?

I just hope that this is just a fan issue and will not cause other problems down the road.

The service tech told me that the ECU was fried, and hence the whole cooling system was not working properly. It may overheat, or not work at proper temperatures.

I rather have a new ECU in working order, than take teh chance that something else may happen.

Unmod the car until it runs stock? Just leave it at the dealership? Just be honest with them? Not sure what to tell you there, big dilemma!

X

---

"early signs"...ECM is already damaged? or just the relay swap should do the trick?

That's the question I need answered, too!! I think I'm seeing the very first signs (cooling fan on after just a very short cold-weather drive, but not on all the time) and I'd like to know if I can quickly swap the relay to avoid any ECU damage? These two earlier comments mean different things:

Vimy101: " From what I understand when the fan relay fails, it takes the ECU with it. If your fan is acting up then the ECU has been damaged."

Laz: "From what I understand, once the ECU is damaged, your fan will neer turn off."

Laz: "Yes, so if fan is not constantly on, then ECU is not broken, and relay is not broken, but may break."

So does 'acting up' but not always on mean ECU damage already or not? And how can we be sure?

(Off to order relay!)

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Geesh... you guys can really overcomplicate a simple thing...

If your radiator fans are running all the time... your ECU is hosed. Time for a new ECU.

If it isn't... then replace the relay and move on....

I just got my car back today from the dealership after having the ECU replaced under warranty. When I go back to re-flash the car I got an error message from the my AccessPort saying "The ECU is the incorrect version". What happened? Do I need to get a newer version AP?

Geesh... you guys can really overcomplicate a simple thing...

If your radiator fans are running all the time... your ECU is hosed. Time for a new ECU.

If it isn't... then replace the relay and move on....

Not necessarily. My fans would not run all the time and my ECU was still hosed. Basically, my fans would not run after just starting the car up but during a drive if the fans were ever tripped to turn on, my drivers side fan would run full blast and not turn back off. I could come to a complete stop, turn off the car, and then immediatly turn the car back on and the fans would not come back on. At that point I think it was safe to say temperature no longer had any relation to whether the fans should be on or not.

After getting just the relay replaced at first it did not fix the problem. The new ECU completely got rid of the problem and my radiator fans barely ever come on now.

Archived