LegacyGT.com

Cooling Fan Relay TSB Now Available

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is really most amusing to me. Our relay failed sometime in late 2005 or early 2006, probably Dec. or Jan. or so (i remember it being brutally cold, so we were like, WTF is the cooling fan on full blast). Getting the ECU replaced was a pain b/c they had to reprogram our keys and it took forever to get it in. Glad to see that nearly a year later, they finally got a TSB out for it. :icon_roll Remember to bring all your keys... our tech didn't tell us that, necessitating another trip and drop-off that could have been avoided.

Sorry for the delayed response but there was nothing to report. My car was running the cooling fan only after I had turn on my AC, and would stay on until I turned the car off initially. I took my car to subaru, the day I took my car of course I couldn't get the cooling fan to malfunction for some rediculous reason. They didn't fix anything because the cooling fan wasn't malfunctioning. The second start up after I get my car back the cooling fan turns on from the time I turn on my key and runs till I turn it off, it does this everytime I turn it on now, even without using the AC. So I'm going to have to schedule another appointment to try and get this fixed again, little irrititating at this point. But as long as subaru does the right thing I'm not going to lose sleep over this.

I've had this issue since 9k miles... (my car has 32k now) had the pleasure of speaking to an idiot at Subaru of Riverside today who tried to tell me the TSB has been out for a year and that it calls for a re-flash of the ECU... :rolleyes: Wonder why I haven't done mine yet?
"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

I called today about my fan being constantly on and they called me back and told me that they are ordering a relay. I see a lot of posts referring to also replacing the ECM (ECU). Can anyone explain why the relay and ECU were replaced and whether I should insist that the ECU be replaced? Is there some sort of diagnostic to be performed on the ECU to warrant replacement?

The TSB says to replace the ECM (ECU) because once the relay is damaged, it can eventually cause damage to the ECM.

As for me, I took my car down to the dealership this morning to get the problem diagnosed. We did the inspection, and I'm obviously lowered and with a cat-back exhaust on, but no engine or electrical mods on the car. When I left he said "Well, I'll look into it, and hopefully your springs and/or exhaust aren't affecting your electrical system". :lol:

Got a call a few hours later saying they were replacing the relay and the ECM under warranty.

As of today the 23rd, there is a SECOND radiator cooling fan relay service program (WVB-12) effecting 11,700 Legacy GT's with manual transmissions from 2005 and 2006 model years...

What's the deal with this one? I just ordered a replacement relay so I can avoid going to the dealer for warranty work based on the initial TSB. :icon_conf:icon_mad:

As of today the 23rd, there is a SECOND radiator cooling fan relay service program (WVB-12) effecting 11,700 Legacy GT's with manual transmissions from 2005 and 2006 model years...

production dates? mine was build in 04.

copy of new issue?

Archived