LegacyGT.com

New Hog-zawst System!!! The sound of power! *with patented washer technology*

mms - that sounds WICKED! :D

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

if by straight u mean no pipes then yep. i had straight pipes with all my cats, stock suspension and no tints. get it right. and that sucks some one has the same car as me??? time to get new wheels and make a custom exhaust

im stock ride height also...but with sways. no tint? sure looks like it in the vid.

Good! Cause if I remember right, I banned you from using my invention. You were mean to me earlier in the thread.

Remove my washers at once!!!

He did this a few months back before you (I remember because we were all :lol: at him).

maybe this can clear things up.... i did the washer thing a while back. iv but it back to stock and re washered a few times. now it was time to go nuts. i remove the entire cat back. ie that was an open downpipe

mdork. when i ahd striaght pipes i had no tints. i got rid of the pipes and got tints. again this video is with no pipes

I tried the stg 1 mod. It sounds great . Just enough sound, no droning , and it seem to make K & N typhoon sound louder. My K & N is louder then my exhaust. I wounder if there any power gains. If you think about all the cat back setups reduce back pressure. This mod does reduce back pressure.:icon_bigg Has anyone dyno this mod?
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I tried the stg 1 mod. It sounds great . Just enough sound, no droning , and it seem to make K & N typhoon sound louder. My K & N is louder then my exhaust. I wounder if there any power gains. If you think about all the cat back setups reduce back pressure. This mod does reduce back pressure.:icon_bigg Has anyone dyno this mod?

I doubt anyone on here that still has the stock cat-back has such free access to a dyno to test it - but yes, there is a overall reduction in backpressure - so technically there would be gains, as the overall restriction is reduced.

A standard $1000 cat-back system is said to net +5 HP. I'd figure this nets maybe 1-2HP.

But then, 1HP @ 50c is: 2HP/$. No other mod is that effective. Your $1000 cat-back would have to produce +2000HP to hit the same effectiveness!!

I can see it now, "I threw on some $1000 mufflers and I got +2000HP!! I love my 2250 HP LGT!!!" Thank You overpriced exhaust!!!!

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

I used 7/16th. Worked like a charm. Im all Stock, except silencer delete...not sure if thats really a mod though. anyways...it Sounds good. Not loud at all...but loud enough to be noticed. Like i said though...3 cats and a resanator before it :)

Taking out the washers later today though. 1.80 cents wasn't bad to hear that boxer rumble again. But i bought the Legacy for the classy/quet look. I will go stage 2 eventually, but with stock mufflers. Will i lose some HP? of course, but i don't care.

Man i just tried this mod and it is LOUDDDDD. And the car feels way slower for some reason. I don't know why but prior to trying it spool and throttle was right there, not with this it just doesn't seem right for some reason.

It was nice to hear what a cat back might sound like but I think it needs to come off for me :/

I can't imagine how loud it was outside the car. There were people like 100 - 200 yards away from me at a McDonalds that were staring at me. So it is probably way too "noticalble" for me.

Maybe I will take one side off and see if one side on reduces the noise by half.

After jumping into these muddy waters I've gone through several changes to my hogmeated exhaust.

First I just found four thick washers from my collection and after unbolting the mufflers and removing the gaskets I threw them on. Hmmmmmmm, loud. Wife actually slid down in the seat going past one of her clients and hissed 'do not stop! I don't want anyone to know I'm in this car!' Clear enough for me.

Second revision was the same thing but with some nice shiny new , thin, washers from Lowe's. Not bad. Later I remembered all that gasket stuff and rust I left there in my haste. So I took a hacksaw blade and ran it back and forth in the hogmeat slot. All kinds of stuff came out..... and the car was once again a little too loud for my honey. Sigh.

Third mod to the hogmeat exhaust was......... a wire. I got a piece of Romex 14/2 and took out one of the conductors, stripped it, and formed it to fit between the washers, in effect putting a copper 'O' ring seal across the upper half of the flange. A dab of copper silicone on each end convinced me it would stay. Concensus; boxer sound without redneck overtones somehow. Looking at it it was now apparent why I liked it. It was no longer a LEAK, but a rearward facing exhaust port that tuned the audio output of the engine.

I was now actually proud of the sound. Because there was no audio pulse out of the upper side of the flange reverberating off the cabin the sound inside was really different. It sounded like I had a new exhaust system that allowed me to hear the engine better, the boxer rumble modified by load. The connection between my foot and the engine now included my ears, thanks to ol' hogmeat.

Autoxing

HELP!

Keyboard stuck or something, Moderator remove this please, except for perhaps the last.

Anyway....

Last and final mod to the original hogmeat exhaust was to make a real exhaust piece that elevated the mod to a genuine 'installation.' I took a 3/8 washer and hacksawed a slot nearthy to the center and dremelled it about twice that width. A 3 and 13/16 inch of copper wire from a 12/2 Romex was soldered between two of the washers, the wire soldered into the slots of two washers. Cleaned up the rusty flanges, evenly bent the Wire so to fit the bolts in the flange making sure it covered the upper side of the flange, and bolted it down hard.

I can hear the boxer note at almost any speed up to near seventy. I'm happy, my wife is happy, and my ears are happy.

Thanks, hogmeat.

Here is the 'hogmeat exhaust-boxer audio tuner-Gasket' I made. This produces an exhaust note that seems little changed from stock, except for new components. Refined, yet edgy with more serious promises. The sound is in context with my polished, lowered just enough, Legacy 2.5GT. A heartbeat restored.

Notes:

The 12/2 Romex copper wire part is 3 and 13/16 inches long.

The washers are 3/8 inch and 'thin.'

The slots in washers were first cut with a hacksaw then opened with a Dremmel.

The parts were cleaned, swabbed with soldering paste, and soldered together, making sure the wires were seated into the bottom of the slots. This was done on a flat surface to align parts.

Holding the assembly with the two washers in the thumb and forefinger of both hands, kind of turn outward while bringing the washers closer together. You can see what you get, a perfect gasket.

Install these with the copper wire upward on both sides. This makes a kind of acoustic horn slot facing backwards along the side of the muffler.

The results will offend no one, people will turn to see you approach in low speed situations, and follow as you go by, wondering and appreciating.

My exhaust is catless with stock (modified internally) cans that are always too quiet. Although early hogmeat mods provided the principle, this 'boxer audio tuner gasket' appeals not only to my ear's need for motor sounds, it is also aesthetically acceptable as well. To me, of course.

How much do the gaskets cost? Why not buy 1 or 2 of them (per side) and cut off them basically in half (call it 3/5ths since we'd leave the two mount holes on one piece and toss the other bit). Wouldn't this give you the same effect as the wire as SeeeYa's wire mod above and give the option of effecting thickness to desired sound level?