LegacyGT.com

New Hog-zawst System!!! The sound of power! *with patented washer technology*

Tuned now to my personal aural taste, I want hogmeat to know that due to his initiative with his hogzaust mod I enjoy driving my LGT more than ever.

On a great ride yesterday on WV two-lanes I noted that I was smoother, kept my speed more even, but most importantly, I paid more attention to driving as opposed to regularly examiming the instruments. My ears now do that job, better, leaving me to keep ALL my attention on the road.

Mod by mod I've loved the increases in power, understandably. And l Iook forward to more, soon, knowing that urge is insatiable. But getting connected to this power, in fact more connected to the car as a whole, now, is somehow very satisfying. Unlike the power waiting to be evidenced by my right foot... whenever I want, having the motor continuously sing its report to my ears fulfills a basic car/driver interface long missing.

SeeeYa, where in WV are you located? Also, I had some washers laying around, so I did the mod earlier, and I absolutely love the sound. Not annoyingly loud, but just the right tone. A+ for this relatively free mod!

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b345/Undergr0undAssassins/show046.jpg

Have Camera...Will Travel

~2007 LegacyGT.com Calendar (October)~

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was even more confusing than that, as I went with the custom fit 12-gage copper wire method. I can imagine them going, "WTF???" Funniest part was that the dealer was thoughtful enough to actually provided me a written estimate for the replacement parts I'd need to 'fix' it:

QTY 2 - Gasket R/M(?) - 44011AE01A - $5.84ea

QTY 4 - Bolt - 901660014 - $2.84ea

QTY 4 - Nut - 902350001 - $4.05ea

Grand total in parts: $41.59. No labor was quoted. I'm just amused because in the time it took them to type up this quote that I didn't want, they could have actually torqued the suspension bolts like I'd asked them to. Oh well.

Anyway - there's the gasket part number if anyone wants to replace theirs or go with the Hogzaust Premier edition, by snipping away some of the OEM gasket. I checked Subaruparts.com, and they've got them listed at $2.22ea + $1.99 shipping.

LOL...

^ I see this as a possibility as well (especially in northern climes, once the road-salt comes into play), but I think that "only time will tell" on this one.

Potential damage?

I can really only see collection of water/moisture/road-debris in the up/down-turned portion of the Y-pipe - and since that's connected to the entire mid-section (resonator section), the potential to require replacement of said component may be a concern.

And, of course, if, for some reason, the mufflers should rust-out, well, that's something to worry about, too.

But honestly, this is a huge unknown. Only time will tell.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

A good friend of mine was worried about the water and moisture may enter the pipe and rust the inside. possible ? how big the damage would that be?

^^^^

Water is generated as a byproduct of combustion, so, even WITHOUT the hogmeat modification... you would still have water on the inside of the pipe.

When you first start your car up in the morning... before the pipes get hot... you will see condensation run out the exhaust....

^ Very good point my good bruddah.....

But to the degree that a puddle-run or slush-covered streets would introduce into the opening?

Then again, that opening is pretty darned small....and the pipe's will be hot.....

I'm still thinking that this one needs some long-time testing to tell. Could go either way.

I guess I'm just worrying too much! :D

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

A. When you have combustion, you have waste by-products. In the case of engine combustion you get waste products such as carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, sulphur dioxide, sulfuric acid and water, among others. What you see dripping from your exhaust system is basically sulphuric acid and water that has condensed inside the pipe. That is why it has a similar taste to battery acid which also contains sulphuric acid. (I don't recommend tasting unknown fluids.) This is what causes exhaust systems to rot out. Some exhaust systems put small drain holes in the exhaust to allow this fluid to drain out.

From Google. Worrying about rain water and road salt is pointless. Anyone who has some miles on their car and has done the Hogzaust mod has noted that the pipe has lots of rust INSIDE the pipe, for the above reasons.

Worrying about whether your TMIC will blow apart, or if your vacuum hoses will pop off are another matter. Some concerns have merit, some are hypocondria. A '92 Legacy I gave my daughter is still on its original exhaust, fourteen years later. Know what I mean?

^ :lol: Nah, I don't see it as a smackdown at all - just another set of opinions, another viewpoint. :)

I'm still not completely convinced. After pulling my factory exhaust, there was noticeable difference between the inside and outside in terms of rust-penetration (i.e. not just surface rust). This is through just two winters up here in heavily street-treated NE-Ohio. Heck, my wife's WRX's pipes look even worse, and she's only had her car through one winter......

Yes, there's some corrosion that occurs on the inside of the pipes, no denying that - but to the extent that would happen with ingress of road-salt/treatments and extra water? It's just a big unknown.

Definitely, though, stock systems are lasting longer and longer (my '92 DSMs system lasted well over 10 years, too)....and like y'all are saying, "so what if it rusts-out some 5 + years down-the-line." ;)

And to-note, I'm not bashing the Hogazawst mod. Backtrack through the thread, and you'll see that I've been a vocal proponent from the get-go. I've "defended" this mod on more than one occasion against "mod-snobs." I might have a high-dollar system myself, but I'm completely taken with the ease (and low $$$ cost) as well as "customizability" of Hog's invention here, as well as how aggressive it sounds. :D

I'm just saying that this is an unknown, that's all. There's just not enough time logged on this mod for this datapoint to be known, be it favorably or less-so.

I agree that only time will tell if anythign bad is going to happen due to the additional opening. I think that if a rust out occurs it will be way down the road. Besides nothing helps the mod / upgrade process and decisions more than a broken part.

:dm: 2007 DGM LGT :dm:

:icon_twis 2003 Suzuki SV650S :icon_twis

A good friend of mine was worried about the water and moisture may enter the pipe and rust the inside. possible ? how big the damage would that be?

I do water crossings all the time with the Hog-Zawst system install in my wife's Mazda MPV. Never had an issue with moisture. In fact, a few of us are petitioning to have this modification approved by SCORE International for use in the Baja 1000.

http://www.lesjones.com/www/images/posts/Smoky-Mtn-Car-Crash-River-0005-large.jpg

Steven

Besides nothing helps the mod / upgrade process and decisions more than a broken part.

No debate on that one! :lol:

I'm just waiting for my turbo to blow....20G, here I come! :icon_mrgr

No debate on that one! :lol:

I'm just waiting for my turbo to blow....20G, here I come! :icon_mrgr

+1 Yeah i would love to do that but as i am a poor college guy i will have to wait utill i get out and start to make some real money.

^ You think you're poor now? Wait 'till you have kid(s). :lol:

;)

Just messin' with ya, bro. :) But I know how you feel, believe me. I'm not so old that I've forgotten my starving college-student days - and even now, I'm still very limited by my "family budget" and my self-admitted liking to sticking to cold, hard "cash" to fund any mods to the LGT.

^ ROFL! Great point! I had to rely on my Flintstones transport method, or the bus...or, God forbid, the campus Free Shuttle! :eek:

Go back and starve some more, brother Sully! :lol:

Hey i work all summer so i can make my payment during school. I started at the engineering firm i am at before my senior year of high school. I am paid well and use that money towards my car and bills. And just in case you were wondering my parents dont pay for anything but rent. I pay tution, bills, car, gas, food and everything else. I am just very lucky to have such a good job and can afford my toys. Or it could be that i am just really really good. Who knows

i call BS on a poor college guy with a 2005 LGT!

Yeah well look at my Camaro in my sig. That was a whole project car that i am done with and its time to sell and start on this car. That is if i ever sell it. I love the car but i definatly cant have two while i am in school.

Well its not a matter of wanting the money for Mods. I mean yes i will use some of my profits on the car to do stuff to the scobby but i still owe on the car. I cant have two payments while i am in school. I have been toying with trying to keep the car but then all my mod money goes away untill i can build some more up from on the side design jobs and such. The camaro is a beast and its faster than this scooby will ever be. It handles very well and is a great car. On the other side it makes cops pull you over because of how loud it is. It also cant go anywhere in the winter and in decent rain storm. Because its so fast it temps me to go fast. It has no room for any of my stuff or other people besides one. Its a super car for the weekend or someone that wants a sports car and has a daily driver / family car. Its a hard decision and i have been back and forth all summer. Anyone wanna buy the car for a coupld of years and sell it back to me? LOL

well i took the plunge....sound is great :)

i am hogzawst stg 2 SS (stainless steel). nice rumble when you start it up and not bad otherwise. i actually hear my intake (avo panel filter and removed resonator) more than the exhaust at hard throttles.

i'm sure i'll keep it for a while, only issue is being embarassed if i ever have to take it in for service and they point out my 'exhaust leak' :lol: