LegacyGT.com

June 16-18, '23 - Carlisle, PA: LegacyGT.com East Coast Meetup

Enlight

Weekend Availability for East Coast Meet  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which weekends are you available?

This poll is closed to new votes

Super excited! May switch from chicken to Cute Boy’s (David) amazing homemade burgers. And I’ll get some brats. We need to talk menu soon - anyone want to add some sides/desserts to bring? I’m also happy to just do it all. My penance for no longer owning an LGT.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We can all reimburse you for costs if you decide to purchase it all, or if you come up with a list I'm sure people will sign up to bring the items. I will make myself useful come grilling time, I'm sure others will too.

I eat any and everything, not picky at all.

• Like 4

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

9 hours ago, JJBerk said:

Super excited! May switch from chicken to Cute Boy’s (David) amazing homemade burgers. And I’ll get some brats. We need to talk menu soon - anyone want to add some sides/desserts to bring? I’m also happy to just do it all. My penance for no longer owning an LGT.

Not picky either, I eat anything except bacon. If you put a list of needed supplies up, we can pick off items to bring.

• Like 2

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

9 hours ago, JJBerk said:

there's alot of lgt for sale currently. No excuse for not having another in your life.  I'm thinking someone needs to make a lgt-henge or lgt-row on a lonesome highway. Or you could just have the one.

I can bring raw materials for desert or sides. I have way too much drama in my life to attempt edible food. Burgers & bacon seems pretty good. Bacon is good too. Maybe salad fixings. Pancakes. After 2 weeks of yogurt w/cereal and chicken ceasar salad; I'll be amenable to pretty much anything else. 

menu:

friday night:

cheese & crackers. or brats on buns. 

saturday morning:

bacon. side of eggs. side of pancakes 

saturday lunch:

bar food. @Enlight found a couple nice places?

saturday supper:

burgers. brats. salad fixings. @m sprank 's beer collection. ice cream and/or cake

sunday breakfast:

eggs. toast. leftovers.

• Like 2

I am happy to help out in any way possible on the food front as well. I think Tyrone and I have one of the longer drives down to make it, and I do not own any reasonable sized coolers to keep food (meat and perishables anyway) cold and safe on the way down, but something like a pre-made coleslaw would be in a pH range that is safe for me to make a giant batch and bring down, for example.

In my little world, burgers are the king of food, so I am 100% behind that swap, if it might happen. I also don't eat chicken, lol! So, it means I could partake in the group feast.

I usually just eat freeze dried meals when I go camping, so anything that is a communal cook-up will be a treat. I'd be happy with hot dogs.

• Like 3

Happy to "chip in" for the food.  Just please dont ask me to cook it.  No liver, please.  I will eat just about anything, but intestines just dont sit well. 

1 hour ago, SubOperator said:

Not picky either, I eat anything except bacon.

In the words of my 10 yr old, "what the, what the"?  Bacon is MEAT CANDY.  Cancer is probably worth MEAT CANDY.  If anything is going to kill me, I might be alright with Bacon being the end.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, boxkita said:

@KZJonny how are you going to carry weekend stuff, a 6 mt and coleslaw for 40 people? If you put the 6mt on the roof rack, you'll win the day. :)

6MT in the passengers seat silly. Gotta keep the weight balance about right. 🤪

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KZJonny said:

I am happy to help out in any way possible on the food front as well. I think Tyrone and I have one of the longer drives down to make it, and I do not own any reasonable sized coolers to keep food (meat and perishables anyway) cold and safe on the way down, but something like a pre-made coleslaw would be in a pH range that is safe for me to make a giant batch and bring down, for example.

In my little world, burgers are the king of food, so I am 100% behind that swap, if it might happen. I also don't eat chicken, lol! So, it means I could partake in the group feast.

I usually just eat freeze dried meals when I go camping, so anything that is a communal cook-up will be a treat. I'd be happy with hot dogs.

I can help with bring food down since I do have a cooler, maybe stop somewhere on the way down if need to grab things, or bring the plates, cups, cutlery or anything else that could be stored on a shelf.   

Only dietary restriction would be that our family does not eat pork.  But good with everything else.  Just let me know what I can help with/contribute.

• Like 1

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

2 hours ago, KZJonny said:

6MT in the passengers seat silly. Gotta keep the weight balance about right. 🤪

Hmmm.... 6MT will be a mission for another day at this point anyway. Other priorities and saving a little money on my highway cruising in the summer months doesn't make the cut right now.

However, after 6-7 hours of driving to this things each way, and the sedan Borla on my wagon, I may sing a different tune. Of course a quieter resonator might be cheaper than the 6mt as well...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Couple of notes:

1. You can not bring food from outside of US, that includes Canada. US Customs will ask you to throw it all away.

2. When I had sedan Q300 on my wagon it was extremely loud; what saved my ears (and sanity) on longer rides were full ear headphones with active noise cancellation. Even inexpensive ones from Amazon (US$40 range) will make a uge difference.

37 minutes ago, SubOperator said:

Couple of notes:

1. You can not bring food from outside of US, that includes Canada. US Customs will ask you to throw it all away.

2. When I had sedan Q300 on my wagon it was extremely loud; what saved my ears (and sanity) on longer rides were full ear headphones with active noise cancellation. Even inexpensive ones from Amazon (US$40 range) will make a uge difference.

You're not entirely wrong, and I appreciate the concern but I'm not worried about a bucket of coleslaw. Worst thing that happens is I catch a border guard having a bad day who makes me throw it out. Not a great loss. Fresh fruit is more likely to get you in trouble. You are absolutely allowed to bring food from Canada into the US, including packaged commercial meats and cheeses etc, as long as it has the correct food inspection agency stamps on it. (Just no sheep, lamb or goat!!! But those are disgusting anyway, so who would want to eat them?)

From the US Customs and Border Agency Website:

Canadian Agricultural Products:
For fruits and vegetables from Canada, consult the FAVIR database.
Fruits and vegetables grown in Canada are generally admissible, if they have labels identifying them as products of Canada. 

I cross the border all the time, and have often gone down to concerts and camping with food, beer, even pellet rifles and stuff like that. Never a problem, but there is always a first time.

As for the noise, it really isn't that bad while cruising, but I might just throw in some foam earplugs or wear my shooting muffs. I think the Borla S-type is quieter than the Q300 to begin with, but I haven't been in a wagon with a sedan Q300 to compare it to.

Edited by KZJonny
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, KZJonny said:

You're not entirely wrong, and I appreciate the concern but I'm not worried about a bucket of coleslaw. Worst thing that happens is I catch a border guard having a bad day who makes me throw it out. Not a great loss. Fresh fruit is more likely to get you in trouble. You are absolutely allowed to bring food from Canada into the US, including packaged commercial meats and cheeses etc, as long as it has the correct food inspection agency stamps on it. (Just no sheep, lamb or goat!!! But those are disgusting anyway, so who would want to eat them?)

From the US Customs and Border Agency Website:

Canadian Agricultural Products:
For fruits and vegetables from Canada, consult the FAVIR database.
Fruits and vegetables grown in Canada are generally admissible, if they have labels identifying them as products of Canada. 

I cross the border all the time, and have often gone down to concerts and camping with food, beer, even pellet rifles and stuff like that. Never a problem, but there is always a first time.

As for the noise, it really isn't that bad while cruising, but I might just throw in some foam earplugs or wear my shooting muffs. I think the Borla S-type is quieter than the Q300 to begin with, but I haven't been in a wagon with a sedan Q300 to compare it to.

Oh cool; we have had couple of accidents when home-made food from our friends was a no go at the border coming back to US from Toronto. Beer was not an issue usually but bananas were thrown away (makes sense now, unlikely to be grown in Canada).

There was a funny crossing one time when my wife and I were coming back from our first trip to Quebec. My MIL was staying at home with kids, and she asked us to bring her some cigarettes from Canada. So we had couple of cartons in the back seat, in the clear view. We bought them on the first day of the trip so we wouldn't forget. The guard on the US side asked us whether we were bringing any alcohol or tobacco products into the country. We didn't have any alcohol with us and none of us smokes so we automatically said No. He gave us a weird look and waved is through ;) Only when we got to first stop pass border we realized what the deal was :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SubOperator said:

Oh cool; we have had couple of accidents when home-made food from our friends was a no go at the border coming back to US from Toronto. Beer was not an issue usually but bananas were thrown away (makes sense now, unlikely to be grown in Canada).

There was a funny crossing one time when my wife and I were coming back from our first trip to Quebec. My MIL was staying at home with kids, and she asked us to bring her some cigarettes from Canada. So we had couple of cartons in the back seat, in the clear view. We bought them on the first day of the trip so we wouldn't forget. The guard on the US side asked us whether we were bringing any alcohol or tobacco products into the country. We didn't have any alcohol with us and none of us smokes so we automatically said No. He gave us a weird look and waved is through ;) Only when we got to first stop pass border we realized what the deal was :D

You are totally correct that the slaw will be a liability, but I can also print up a label from my businesses’ restaurant maybe and then it becomes a commercial product? 😄

But yeah, the rest should be good. I just wouldn’t want you or anyone to not buy some delicious Canadian made stuff and take it back with you. Airports are a different story as well. Coz you know, there is for sure some way to use that leftover lasagna and package of hot dogs to take down a plane…. Hah!

The carton of smokes story is a good one!! Don’t try that going to NZ these days. They’ve essentially made the country go smoke free moving forward, and the duty on incoming tobacco is *enormous*. Trying to dodge that will get you in some serious trouble.

• Like 1

Not big on goat, it edible. Sheep, can't recall having any.  Lamb, bring it.  Love lamb.

I understand dietary restrictions and have respect for people's personal choices/beliefs. So if you dont eat pork, more for me. Mmmmm little piggy, mmmmm.  Im the weirdo who goes to the fair/aquarium/petting zoo, etc and sees all the animals as tasty morsels.  Can't take me anywhere. 

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, m sprank said:

Not big on goat, it edible. Sheep, can't recall having any.  Lamb, bring it.  Love lamb.

I understand dietary restrictions and have respect for people's personal choices/beliefs. So if you dont eat pork, more for me. Mmmmm little piggy, mmmmm.  Im the weirdo who goes to the fair/aquarium/petting zoo, etc and sees all the animals as tasty morsels.  Can't take me anywhere. 

If you’ve ever eaten ‘lamb’ and it didn’t cost you a fortune for the cut, or the dinner (if it was at a restaurant)… it was probably mutton/sheep.

Once a lamb is older that exactly one year, it is no longer legally saleable as ‘lamb’, and loses the premium associated with it, tho plenty of less reputable places will bend those rules. (Seriously, what the hell difference does a couple of weeks mean…) hah!

Random fact for the day. I lived in New Zealand for quite a while, and learned about (and ate) a great deal more than I would have ever cared to, given a choice. But when you fed a lunch on shift for free, usually you just eat what you’re given. 🙄

• Like 2

Funny.  I buy my lamb from Australia. I import a half lamb at a time.  US farmers DO NOT know how to raise lamb, especially  grass fed. So, I buy direct. I also buy a 1/2 cow and a 1/2 pig at a time. But those I get from a small family owned and run ranch in Texas that specializes in grass fed meat.  They offer goat, but I cant seem to cook it properly. My mother in law can.  Chicken and eggs I buy from a local family farm. They only supply about 10 familes. 

Been doing this since 2013. My wife was unkowingly used as a pharmaceutical experiment during labor. It F'D her kidneys. We had to change diet and remove processed foods.  But this year her blood work showed an improvement in function and the doctors swore that would never happen, it was just a matter of time before failure. 

Diet be thy medicine. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, m sprank said:

Funny.  I buy my lamb from Australia. I import a half lamb at a time.  US farmers DO NOT know how to raise lamb, especially  grass fed. So, I buy direct. I also buy a 1/2 cow and a 1/2 pig at a time. But those I get from a small family owned and run ranch in Texas that specializes in grass fed meat.  They offer goat, but I cant seem to cook it properly. My mother in law can.  Chicken and eggs I buy from a local family farm. They only supply about 10 familes. 

Been doing this since 2013. My wife was unkowingly used as a pharmaceutical experiment during labor. It F'D her kidneys. We had to change diet and remove processed foods.  But this year her blood work showed an improvement in function and the doctors swore that would never happen, it was just a matter of time before failure. 

Diet be thy medicine. 

Very interesting. I love lamb, would be great to import it direct. It is VERY expensive in US compared to where I grew up, ate a lot of it during my youth.

I will ask you for the info on how that works.

46 minutes ago, boxkita said:

@KZJonny so how hard is it to bring down a jug of "real" Canadian maple syrup? Or have I bought into the hype and should go back to Aunt Jemima?

I get grass-fed beed & elk already butchered. Pretty much addicted to it

Not hard at all. Quebec really does make a great product and the cold temps are important for quality. 

That said, there is also plenty made in Vermont and New England that is pretty good as well, probably the better producers are on par.

I still have to send you money for the campsite, so let me se about getting my hands on some good, dark grade syrup. (I've got a maple syrup guy.... hah! No, seriously.)

And no. Table syrup is for chumps. Please don't go there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jamison Farm lamb is for sale now, but for the last three decades they were one of the best in the country and right down the road from me. They shipped lamb regularly to the White House, conservation farmers of the year in 2017.. I was there about two years ago for a huge collaborative dinner, unreal how good everything was.

And I get raw maple syrup or honey at my local Nature’s Way. Bring my own containers in once a month and they fill it up, $5.50/lb. Doesn’t everyone have this?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Booze, check out Fat Butcher in Lawrencville if you’re interested.  I’m lifelong friends with the owner. Fantastic quality. 

• Like 2
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

On 5/26/2023 at 6:13 PM, m sprank said:

US farmers DO NOT know how to raise lamb, especially  grass fed.

I don't know how we segued into a discussion about lamb, but there it is.... Interesting thing is that while I would generally rather throw lamb directly into the trash to save the time cooking it, I agree with you about the Aussie stuff.

I worked in Aus for a little while, and have a number of friends there I met while travelling and working abroad in other places. Folks who know a thing or two about lamb. Anyway, they swear by Aussie lamb, or course but they give much of the credit to it being raised in drier more arid parts of the country. Places that don't grow huge feilds of lush green grass, rather more sparse low lying vegitation. Plants that are hardier and struggle a little, like saltbrush and the like....

They tell me it is the fatty, rich lamb that grows on grass feilds and doesn't have to move around as much to eat is the inferior product. Some people prefer it, hence the enormous popularity of NZ lamb which is more typically raised this way. (Although to be fair, NZ is also leading the world on the sustainable 'grass farming' model of livestock management, which is a good thing.)

Maybe you can find domestic lamb from places that are drier/harsher climates in the US, if you were interested in trying to source something you like without having to import from overseas. Just a thought.

Gotta get butt in gear and grab tees.  King of procrastination. 

The lamb I procure has very little fat and ZERO game flavor. I have fed others who did not realize it was lamb.  I grew up with the game taste, so it surprised me at first too.  I admit it is not cheap.  But it is soooo good. Roast leg of lamb, braised chops, stew,  smoked shanks and those roast racks.... had a rack for Easter with the ham.