LegacyGT.com

Seatbelt Idiot Bell Disconnect

brad21

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='GTSpeed']Orthopaedic Surgeons - 4 years of college, 4 years of med school, 5-6 years of residency, and usually 1 year of fellowship (in a subspeciality)[/QUOTE] F*** that...I could barely handle a couple of semesters of junior college before I quit.

GTSpeed - I agree w/ you regarding the back-seat no-seatbelt rant. But for that, only in newer automobiles. An old thing called "submarining." A phenomenon known but not deeply pursued until the late 80s/early 90s by which the seat cushion of the rear bench is improperly designed and thus allows a passenger to literally sink lower due to collision forces, and thus slip under their belts, causing severe injury. Supposedly, the odds of escaping without various serious injuries were *_slightly_* better without belts in such cases, but I don't believe anything was proven conclusively. With the low number of such older vehicles that are still out on the roads, like you, I'd be much more willing to make the blanket-statement of "just wear your seatbelt," rather than have someone bet wrong. ;) As an interesting side-note, "submarining" is also used to describe the improper use of modern lap/shoulder seatbelts by using only the shoulder belt portion. This obviously will cause the passenger to submarine under the shoulder belt during collision. ---- Another of my pet-peeves is those automatic belts that were so popular in the mid 90s. These track-mounted "mice" were often mated to the door mechanism, and would release upon their corresponding door opening - of course, this is a big problem in an accident should the door latch fail...... This is also combined with the tendency of some to believe, in error, that just that auto-belt is enough, and thus either choose to not buckle their lap belt or are ignorant as to that need. -A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Thanks! the below worked first time! :D Quote: Originally Posted by [b]Throttlejockey[/b] [i]Quote:[/i] [i]Originally Posted by [b]Deer Killer[/b][/i] [i][i]Couldn't get it to work..[/i] [i]Let's clarify a little.[/i] [i]turn on car = start car?[/i] [i]beeping starts = first set of beeps when you start, or when it starts chiming after you've been sitting there?[/i] [i]Turn off car = remove key?[/i] [i]Oh, and we'll have to do this if the battery is ever disconnected huh? frckin a. Really need a 3rd party computer interface so we can play with all these variables...[/i] 1) Turn key to on position-don't start. 2) After first set of chimes click seat belt in and out 20 times within 30 seconds. 3) Turn off key. 4) Repeat 1, 2, 3 again 5) Turn key off and re-start[/i] I DID IT! I think... It took me a number of tries but here's what I did: Follow the instructions above, start clicking the seatbelt in as soon as the FIRST chimes start, not the seatbelt chimes. This will interrupt the chiming process to the point they stop. Turn off key and REMOVE KEY FROM IGNITION. Repeat process, remove key from ignition again. Start car and see if it worked. My little light is gone off the dash too. I wonder what'll happen with the passenger dinger now... hmm... 8)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
[quote name='mkalbarc']Thanks! the below worked first time! :D Quote: Originally Posted by [b]Throttlejockey[/b] [i]Quote:[/i] [i]Originally Posted by [b]Deer Killer[/b][/i] [i][i]Couldn't get it to work..[/i] [i]Let's clarify a little.[/i] [i]turn on car = start car?[/i] [i]beeping starts = first set of beeps when you start, or when it starts chiming after you've been sitting there?[/i] [i]Turn off car = remove key?[/i] [i]Oh, and we'll have to do this if the battery is ever disconnected huh? frckin a. Really need a 3rd party computer interface so we can play with all these variables...[/i] 1) Turn key to on position-don't start. 2) After first set of chimes click seat belt in and out 20 times within 30 seconds. 3) Turn off key. 4) Repeat 1, 2, 3 again 5) Turn key off and re-start[/i] I DID IT! I think... It took me a number of tries but here's what I did: Follow the instructions above, start clicking the seatbelt in as soon as the FIRST chimes start, not the seatbelt chimes. This will interrupt the chiming process to the point they stop. Turn off key and REMOVE KEY FROM IGNITION. Repeat process, remove key from ignition again. Start car and see if it worked. My little light is gone off the dash too. I wonder what'll happen with the passenger dinger now... hmm... 8)[/QUOTE] How did this thread get so out of hand? OK, the official Subaru instructions for this are simpler - key in on position within 30secs of key in "on" position (NOT the chimes), clip/unclip 20x THAT'S IT! Will last until computer reset or battery disconnect. You can also just do it 3x (I think, maybe 6x?) and it will disable the chimes until the car is cycled on/off again - helpful for when you have a box in the front seat or something.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Throttlejockey']1) Turn key to on position-don't start. 2) After first set of chimes click seat belt in and out 20 times within 30 seconds. 3) Turn off key. 4) Repeat 1, 2, 3 again 5) Turn key off and re-start[/QUOTE] i don't know why this doesn't work for me. i've been trying this several times and for some reason it won't work now. it worked just fine before.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

like I said thousands of times just go to the junk yard I think I got mine out of a I think it was a repo 03 wrx that was at my buddies house he just cut the seatbelt then you slide the seatbelt buckel out and put it where the other seatbelt buckel would go.

i have an AP on mine. i wonder if that messes up the usual way to disconnect the seatbelt chime? anyone else with AP or TDC tuned maps have the same issue? perhaps there's something that is changed. before i did this, it wasn't a problem.. now i just cannot get it to work.

[quote name='Drift Monkey']I don't get what the big deal is. The seat belt chime doesn't bother me at all?[/quote] Same here. To turn it off, put your belt on. Wow, that was hard.

i am in outside sales. i often have to sit in the car with the laptop or pc, trying to do pwk or otherwise. wearing the belt while the car is running is something that i do on a daily basis. i live in alaska where it gets pretty FREAKING cold. there is no question about safety in a NON-MOVING vehicle. i should not have to wear my seat belt just to get the GDF beep to go off. just like others here, i'm almost ready to rip out the wiring or disconnect it if i could find which one it is. when the car is in motion, i wear my seat belt. having had to go to a good friends funeral 10 yrs ago on my 18th birthday, i've ALWAYS worn it and continue to do so. however, when the car is not in motion and i need to get some things done, i do not want to listen to the constant annoying beep beep beep! i had this work before just fine but now i cannot get it to stop. the only thing that has changed is that i've added a cobb AP. i'm wondering (without the smart ass comments) if anyone else has had this problem after installing an AP or am i the only one? actual constructive comments would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Wow, people are getting a little testy over a seatbelt chime. I guess I've just learned to live with it since I got the car in Jan. My "put your seatbelt on" comment was obviously a joke. Seriously, let's not take the fun away from the forums. I've read a lot worse.

hey, not trying to bite your head off. but you need to understand that every freaking day, i sit in my car, the damn beeping is non-stop... and i work anywhere from 10-14 hrs/day, 6-7 days/week. now, just imagine having to listen to that beeping for a good 1-2 hours every day! ya, you'd be getting a little edgy over it too. i've had mine for over a year now. i did this when i first got the car, but then this past January, had an accident. they had to remove the battery, therefore it came back on. since then, it's been just beep beep beep! it's enough to make me get rid of the car for another one that doesn't have it. seriously, so when you have to read through 15 pages of idiot comments to get to anything of substance.. well, it's annoying. i asked a legit question, as have others. seems there's always someone with the dumb responses just to throw something in there. like i said before, has anyone else with an AP had the same problems to not get the instructions to work? or, if anyone knows WHICH wire it is, so i can cut it. Please! i'm going to go insane!!!! beep beep beep!!!! aagh! :P

Archived