LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

We are making 348whp on 91 octane right now on the dyno. Still got a few more dyno sessions to dial in with full E85 but they were impressed with the numbers so far and are genuinely scared if the transmission can handle the 450 ballpark I suggested. I told them as long as the car runs happy, I’m happy… With the Cobb updates it might take them a bit longer to finish the Flex fuel capabilities. I might give another update later today if we get it dialed in.

We are making 348whp on 91 octane right now on the dyno. Still got a few more dyno sessions to dial in with full E85 but they were impressed with the numbers so far and are genuinely scared if the transmission can handle the 450 ballpark I suggested. I told them as long as the car runs happy, I’m happy… With the Cobb updates it might take them a bit longer to finish the Flex fuel capabilities. I might give another update later today if we get it dialed in.

348 on 91? that's a great number. 5th gear will be a problem as the torque will strip 5th gear pretty quickly. Mine lasted about 10k miles before catastrophic failure.

I'd look for a 6mt with ppg gear upgrades

Does it not just go down the line? IE for any number of cars involved, #2 co pays #1, #3 pays #2 etc., with only the first vehicle truly benefiting and the last vehicle involved truly left holding the bag, and only for the car they hit?

What does their policy limit have to do with anything? Don't you guys have minimums that would surely cover the cost of the car? I think our minimum in this instance is $250,000, but most people have $1MM.

These companies need to be talking to each other to sort this out, not leaving it to you as the affected insured. Hope everything works out and you get everything fully covered with no hit to your rates.

talked to lawyer this morning. moving forward with them for personal liability.

talking to our insurance at the moment. pretty much having to use our insurance for everything. unsure what this does to our rates.

We still have our policy set for working at high-paying jobs. So income continuation, under & un-insured coverage, high pip & coverage options, etc. probably need to re-evaluate now that we are retired.

insurance gave us an economy car for a week or two. picking up the wrx this week and should have a valuation by Monday. Going to pay for the new car tomorrow. No eta on new car yet so maybe paying for a rental car for awhile. out here a economy rental is ~$400/week.

Wife is showing back & shoulder pain, so damage is still showing up. Bruises on her legs & face are getting better.

Looks like my garage ornament, er, wagon, is going to a daily driver again. That 96 octane tune is really going to suck @ $15/gallon for race gas. :)

Edited by boxkita

What setup?

Built motor with forged pistons, crank, bearings, ARP head studs, ported and polished heads, KillerB pickup, STI oil pump, etc. with custom JmP 20G, Cobb Flex fuel kit, 1050x injectors, Grimmspeed CAI, RacerX FMIC, CNT catless down pipe, and Tomei ELH/up pipe.

5MT fluids were replaced 10k miles ago and I have an ACT Xtreme Stage 2 clutch as well.

Couple of other things I'm probably forgetting but those are probably the most important ones lol

348 on 91? that's a great number. 5th gear will be a problem as the torque will strip 5th gear pretty quickly. Mine lasted about 10k miles before catastrophic failure.

I'd look for a 6mt with ppg gear upgrades

I do plan on getting a 6-speed in the future as the last possible upgrade on the car left... But, I only drive this car maybe 700 miles annually as it is just a fun weekend car (I daily drive a Honda Accord). So I told them to treat is as if it were their weekend car. I am asking for a conservative and an aggressive map that I can switch between but there really is no point.

Edited by Notorious

Built motor with forged pistons, crank, bearings, ARP head studs, ported and polished heads, KillerB pickup, STI oil pump, etc. with custom JmP 20G, Cobb Flex fuel kit, 1050x injectors, Grimmspeed CAI, RacerX FMIC.

5MT fluids were replaced 10k miles ago and I have an ACT Xtreme Stage 2 clutch as well.

Couple of other things I'm probably forgetting but those are probably the most important ones lol

I do plan on getting a 6-speed in the future as the last possible upgrade on the car left... But, I only drive this car maybe 700 miles annually as it is just a fun weekend car (I daily drive a Honda Accord). So I told them to treat is as if it were their weekend car. I am asking for a conservative and an aggressive map that I can switch between but there really is no point.

as owner of a similar setup, the smiles/mile tends to drive mileage fairly quickly. Id get the 6mt sooner than later or least bulletproof the 5mt

Built motor with forged pistons, crank, bearings, ARP head studs, ported and polished heads, KillerB pickup, STI oil pump, etc. with custom JmP 20G, Cobb Flex fuel kit, 1050x injectors, Grimmspeed CAI, RacerX FMIC, CNT catless down pipe, and Tomei ELH/up pipe.

Your setup is pretty close to mine, I should be at 350 plus after i get my parts install and retuned. I will not be on E85, just 93. The car will handle the power, even a STI short block as long as you drive it like a normal person and as long as you roll into it. It will die if you beat it to death. :lol:

I still plan on going STI 6MT in a few years, or if this one dies.

Your setup is pretty close to mine, I should be at 350 plus after i get my parts install and retuned. I will not be on E85, just 93. The car will handle the power, even a STI short block as long as you drive it like a normal person and as long as you roll into it. It will die if you beat it to death. :lol:

I still plan on going STI 6MT in a few years, or if this one dies.

idk, I beat the crap out of mine for 29k miles. Only failure was the 5mt. if you can't flog that build, what's the point?

My wife's 2018 wrx got totaled this evening. other than the 6mt, what other parts will work on a 4th gen?

still at er. she walked in. so optimistic she'll walk out :)

pretty banged up from air bag & lower dashboard & pedals.

got hit by a newer model honda accord while sitting at a stoplight. pushed her 2 car lengths forward and pushed the kia suv in front of into the intersection. Hut hard enough to destroy rear suspension. Cabin seems intact. passenger side doors work and driver door opened with a little tugging.

we've been subaru for 24 years. she's shopping for another red wrx...

I bought the sti wheel conversion wagon back from gex (not my best idea). swapping wrx drivetrain in would solve missing engine and transmission issue.

talked to lawyer this morning. moving forward with them for personal liability.

talking to our insurance at the moment. pretty much having to use our insurance for everything. unsure what this does to our rates.

We still have our policy set for working at high-paying jobs. So income continuation, under & un-insured coverage, high pip & coverage options, etc. probably need to re-evaluate now that we are retired.

insurance gave us an economy car for a week or two. picking up the wrx this week and should have a valuation by Monday. Going to pay for the new car tomorrow. No eta on new car yet so maybe paying for a rental car for awhile. out here a economy rental is ~$400/week.

Wife is showing back & shoulder pain, so damage is still showing up. Bruises on her legs & face are getting better.

Looks like my garage ornament, er, wagon, is going to a daily driver again. That 96 octane tune is really going to suck @ $15/gallon for race gas. :)

Yikes, hope she's okay. Take care of your family, the claim can wait. The statute of limitations runs 3 years from the date of loss in Mass.

From the noises the at fault party's insurance company is making it sounds like the other party simply doesn't have adequate insurance. This makes getting an attorney just a matter of handing them 1/3 of the money you'd get from them anyway. Not a good plan. Hopefully you have UIM coverage.

PM me if you wanna discuss the nuances of the case, always happy to help. Auto Insurance is my bread and butter.

Edited by Dishwasher

Brought to you by Pfizer

Does it not just go down the line? IE for any number of cars involved, #2 co pays #1, #3 pays #2 etc., with only the first vehicle truly benefiting and the last vehicle involved truly left holding the bag, and only for the car they hit?

What does their policy limit have to do with anything? Don't you guys have minimums that would surely cover the cost of the car? I think our minimum in this instance is $250,000, but most people have $1MM.

These companies need to be talking to each other to sort this out, not leaving it to you as the affected insured. Hope everything works out and you get everything fully covered with no hit to your rates.

No. Only the liable party's insurance pays out. Some states have joint and several, but the other parties have to at least have some liability for that to factor in. A chain reaction rear end accident only has 1 at fault party.

The minimum policy limit in Mass is $20k per person/$40k per accident on BI. $250k isn't the minimum limit anywhere as far as I know. That would be absolutely insane. Commercial trucks have a minimum limit of $750k, but that's a different animal.

If the tortfeasor (at fault party) has minimum limits than their insurer is going to cut a check for their limits and close their file. Getting an attorney will not change this fact, it will only entitle the attorney to a check for 1/3rd of $20k. I'm hopeful that Box has UIM as that's really the only way he's going to get a decent recovery on the claim.

Brought to you by Pfizer

No. Only the liable party's insurance pays out. Some states have joint and several, but the other parties have to at least have some liability for that to factor in. A chain reaction rear end accident only has 1 at fault party.

The minimum policy limit in Mass is $20k per person/$40k per accident on BI. $250k isn't the minimum limit anywhere as far as I know. That would be absolutely insane. Commercial trucks have a minimum limit of $750k, but that's a different animal.

If the tortfeasor (at fault party) has minimum limits than their insurer is going to cut a check for their limits and close their file. Getting an attorney will not change this fact, it will only entitle the attorney to a check for 1/3rd of $20k. I'm hopeful that Box has UIM as that's really the only way he's going to get a decent recovery on the claim.

I am in Alberta (Canada), I just rechecked and the minimum is $200k, so I was wrong on that. The insurance board says over 98% of people here have at least $1MM.

Here, everybody but the first car in a chain reaction would be found at fault for the car they rear-ended (possibly additional damages to any car/person in front of them), and not at fault for their car being rear-ended.

I am in Alberta (Canada), I just rechecked and the minimum is $200k, so I was wrong on that. The insurance board says over 98% of people here have at least $1MM.

Here, everybody but the first car in a chain reaction would be found at fault for the car they rear-ended (possibly additional damages to any car/person in front of them), and not at fault for their car being rear-ended.

washington is 25/50 minimum. with the at-fault driver leaving in ambulance for a 2nd tier hospital (major trauma not requiring a helicopter) (idk what's that called), i'm guessing there's not much money available.

every state is different. I learned to drive in a no-fault state. My yearly premium for an under 25 driver with a 2 year old turbo sportscar was $80/year. Today I pay $1200/year for the wrx and two drivers.

Our attorney only collects on the liability part not property damage, so he said. He also said likelihood of us getting enough to cover our costs and replacement of our car is zero.

We do have uim because washington is a 25/50 state. The minimum doesn't even cover a used car let alone a new one.

This happened stateside. Glad to hear Canada has such reasonable limits, unfortunately in the US that's just not the case.

Here adjusters will ask how many impacts the car in front felt. If the person in front says they felt one impact, then it was a chain reaction accident and the rear most vehicle is at fault. If the person felt 2 impacts then that means he/she was rear ended by the middle vehicle first, then rear ended again once the rear most vehicle hit the middle vehicle and forced it into the third vehicle. We will then see if the damage to the vehicle gives us any clues to impact severity, and also ask the front vehicle driver to describe the nature of the impacts and determine which was more severe. ;).

Edited by Dishwasher

Brought to you by Pfizer

washington is 25/50 minimum. with the at-fault driver leaving in ambulance for a 2nd tier hospital (major trauma not requiring a helicopter) (idk what's that called), i'm guessing there's not much money available.

every state is different. I learned to drive in a no-fault state. My yearly premium for an under 25 driver with a 2 year old turbo sportscar was $80/year. Today I pay $1200/year for the wrx and two drivers.

Our attorney only collects on the liability part not property damage, so he said. He also said likelihood of us getting enough to cover our costs and replacement of our car is zero.

We do have uim because washington is a 25/50 state. The minimum doesn't even cover a used car let alone a new one.

The at fault driver can't collect under his own liability policy. (Imagine a world where you could do that, I would get a $2 million policy and go crash my car tomorrow).

Yeah man I hate to say it, but your attorney isn't really explaining this process very well to you. I'll explain why, but it's going to take an essay. The abbreviated version is, the most she can get is $25k, and in Washington the ability to build your injury claim to $25k is extremely easy, and doesn't require legal expertise.

The long version is here.

Washington does have a 25/50 state limit. Insurers in Washington are required by law to provide you their insurance policy limits information, and a copy of the insurance policy. Get it, and confirm their policy limits.

With regard to the property damage claim, go through your own insurance company. Otherwise you're going to get a pro-rated amount from the at fault insurance company that's not going to come close to covering the value of your vehicle. Let your insurance company take the hit, and deal with the bullshit of pro-rata settlements on minimum limits policies.

With regard to the injury, your attorney is at the very least going to recover 1/3rd of what your wife is entitled to for the injury claim. The percentage goes up from 33% if a lawsuit is filed. The maximum your wife can recover is $25k for her injuries. If your wife has $15,000 in medical bills, the other party's insurance company will cut you a check for $25,000. The attorney will take their third first ($8,250), so then you will have $16,750. $15,000 will then go to your medical providers (or PIP subrogation), now you get to keep $1,750. Wooohooo. You just paid an attorney $8,250 to get you $1,750. This why attorneys make shit loads of money, and you see their billboards everywhere.

If you're dealing with a minimum limits policy, do not under any circumstances retain counsel. If liability isn't in dispute, you can always just get an attorney later if you're getting screwed. Just be a little smart, do a little research, call your buddy Dishwasher, and get your self the $10k you were supposed to get.

Other factors that are important, an attorney isn't going to spend more than about 30 minutes to an hour on your case prior to litigation. The odds of them filing suit are low especially on a min limits policy. An attorney will take at least 6 months after you're done treating to get your claim done and a settlement done. They are rarely motivated to help you, especially on a min-limits case. Good luck man.

Edited by Dishwasher

Brought to you by Pfizer

The at fault driver can't collect under his own liability policy. (Imagine a world where you could do that, I would get a $2 million policy and go crash my car tomorrow).

Wait, what? You can’t collect on your own policy (ignore insurance fraud for a second)? How do you get your car fixed if you are at fault? What happens in a single vehicle accident? You’re just SOL?

I am all kinds of confused, and feel sad for you guys.

Wait, what? You can’t collect on your own policy (ignore insurance fraud for a second)? How do you get your car fixed if you are at fault? What happens in a single vehicle accident? You’re just SOL?

I am all kinds of confused, and feel sad for you guys.

You can collect under your collision coverage for property damage.

Liability coverage is specifically for people you hurt or property you damage. You can’t hurt yourself or damage your own property and then collect for it. It’s strictly for your liability to others. The 25/50 policy limit is only for liability coverage. Collision coverage is limited to the actual cash value of the vehicle.

There’s a sticky here called “Insurance and You!” I wrote a while back if you’re interested in how US insurance law works.

Edited by Dishwasher

Brought to you by Pfizer

Updates on the 4th (and 2nd Gens)...

6mt is running nice, learning that the Subaru HPGO doesn't really like cold. Hard to get into 1st when it's down in the 30's (WTH April...), but after 5-10 min it's all smooth again.

Got a used 4eat for my son's '99 outback.

IMG_9348.thumb.jpg.2dcb3cbbeaa796db3f1ca202613ede1b.jpg

It was much cleaner than I expected for a 120k tranny.

So took a closer look and found that it was a Subaru reman tranny with an official plate.

IMG_9347.thumb.jpg.8618aceda7b2bab9da49671e8375395f.jpg

Rebuilt in 2006.

The car it came out of had ~60k in 2006, so it's likely a tranny with ~60k or fewer miles on it.

Time to get some seals and filter and get her installed.

Picked up a couple of Trakmotive front axles as they are a little longer which should work better with the lift from the previous owner.

IMG_9330.thumb.jpg.c3ecc9615406df8ab8bc3011bd1c8bea.jpg

They have an interesting theory as to why some aftermarket axles vibrate in Subaru automatics...

I've been buttoning up the wrx 6MT swap and should be done tonight. All the little things add time and when you can only work for an hour a night it takes forever!

On a side note, the PNW facebook page has a 2016 Forester 6MT and diff for sale for really cheap! ($500 I think) I haven't dug in to see if this is different than a WRX 6MT though.

I've been buttoning up the wrx 6MT swap and should be done tonight. All the little things add time and when you can only work for an hour a night it takes forever!

On a side note, the PNW facebook page has a 2016 Forester 6MT and diff for sale for really cheap! ($500 I think) I haven't dug in to see if this is different than a WRX 6MT though.

I'm pretty sure the Forester 6mts have a 4.44 rear diff

https://www.subaru.ca/Print/Specifications.aspx?WebSiteID=282&Range=Forester&ModelYear=2016&CarIds=861,863,864,865,867,868,869,870,871,872&GroupID=5&t=1505520170002

cars101 lists the same spec for the 2018 Forester 6mt which is likely the same as 2016.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/forester/forester2018.html#specs

manual 2.5i, Premium 1st 3.454, 2nd 1.888, 3rd 1.296, 4th 0.972, 5th 0.780, 6th 0.695. R 3.686, Final 4.444:1

Edited by Infosecdad

I finished the 6MT swap last night. It's SOOOOO much nicer than the 5MT. It's crazy how much quieter the cabin is with a cable shifter.

I may have to adjust the horizontal alignment a tad and I'm getting a weird noise from the starter (like it's not fully engaging). Flywheel and clutch setup are new so I'm curious if the noise subsides as the new flywheel wears a tad.

I finished the 6MT swap last night. It's SOOOOO much nicer than the 5MT. It's crazy how much quieter the cabin is with a cable shifter.

I may have to adjust the horizontal alignment a tad and I'm getting a weird noise from the starter (like it's not fully engaging). Flywheel and clutch setup are new so I'm curious if the noise subsides as the new flywheel wears a tad.

Doable on jack stands?