LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

I believe I had similar issue with my OpenPort. It wouldn't be found after some Windows update.

Out of the pages and pages I waded through of saying that the cable or the USB Mini B port was the culprit, I came across one person who said the same as you. I decided it was worth a shot.

My car is also running smooth again. After checking over the new grounding points the engine magically ran smooth again. I don't understand how this could happen since I was only adding new grounds, not replacing the factory grounds with which the car was running smooth. Now it runs so smooth I thought it had died on me.

A few weeks back I tried Cataclean. I don't know whether it's actually the placebo effect but that made a significant difference as well.

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

Still miss my 06 spec b, still one of my favorite cars I've ever owned and longest as well at 5 years.

Dave

Just put the winter set on #410. 12 years owned, 67k. 2nd year as dd. Handles so well. Lookin forward to snowz…

Looks like one of my headlight projectors has hazed out. Not sure how else to describe it.

Light output is definitely cut, and no longer clear.

Projector looks foggy compared to the other.

Options:

- Go JDM black headlight from buyee.jp or eBay

- Go Depo (US)

- Tear them apart and replace the projectors and such

Thoughts on which route?

Part of me wants to go JDM with the levelers (I have the switch) and pick up the adapter harness as well.

Part of me wants to just go Depo and be done quick

Part of me wants a project and tear them apart, matte black paint, new projectors, etc.

I have a full Morimoto HID system that's pretty new, so I plan to stick with that for the lighting.

Looks like one of my headlight projectors has hazed out. Not sure how else to describe it.

Options:

- Go Depo (US)

Thoughts on which route?

Part of me wants to go JDM with the levelers (I have the switch) and pick up the adapter harness as well.

Part of me wants a project and tear them apart, matte black paint, new projectors, etc.

I have a full Morimoto HID system that's pretty new, so I plan to stick with that for the lighting.

Retro-quick or stock projectors? If it’s stock, I have an oem set from my swap. Let me know if you need one.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

To clarify - they did ask for a couple photos but that's it. Here's how my original set looked after a couple years circa 2018. No bueno - PA potholes don't f&&k around

STI one's ST2032021000 are no so expensives... 220.000km without any trouble on my last car...

Options:

- Go Depo (US)

Thoughts on which route?

Be careful with JDM one's, they are made for driving on the left side of the road...

Blueprinted the latest motor yesterday, picked out all bearings and set clearances. Ready to build as soon as I get seals. It will either be a spare shortblock, or a quick drop-in if the one in the car needs anything other than bearings. Shouldn't given this is all about a flare in lead content in the UOA...

Interesting thing - the block was torque plate honed, and I decided to grid out the cylinders to see how they distort when the torque plate was removed. All 4 are barreled out in the middle (axially). Not at all what I would have expected...

Edited by awfulwaffle

Retro-quick or stock projectors? If it’s stock, I have an oem set from my swap. Let me know if you need one.

I'd probably grab these from you, and send them through a simple retrofit if you'd wanna help a buddy out with it. Mine aren't perfect matches and it bugs me.

Go for it, I'm leaning toward the Morimoto Mini H1 projectors...

The thing is my lens are pretty tired, so I'm considering doing B & C.

Buying a set of Depos and then opening them up and installing projectors.

The light pattern and cutoff seems so much better with a HID projector.

But that's why I'm still considering the JDM route, as those should be better than US for stock projectors (being HID from the factory), right? Then I could also go with the leveling with the adapter harness.

Ugh decisions...

I haven't had the time to watch it yet, but one of the youtuber's I enjoy, has joined the club! Too bad it's auto

Just watched the second part. He really dodged a bullet with the way that turbo didn't ruin the engine!

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

Ordered a Megan Racing aluminum radiator last night. $200 shipped through their website with 15% off sale.

Have a new coolant crossover pipe from rockauto that I can install also. Don't know how it's not leaking, looks like death

I have had awful results with Depo lamps and refused to use them when I offered lamp clearing services. Just my $0.02.

Same goes for anything Megan Racing. Its an eBay brand at best. I would bet that the OEM radiator is more efficient than the aluminum Megan. My best recommendation there is to visually inspect the inside of the radiator as best as possible. Slag has been found in them and ended up in the engines of cars.

I had nooo problems with my last set of depo headlights. They were surprisingly nice out of the box and no issues for many years of daily use. Megan Racing exhaust parts of fine quality too.

We shall see! I'll return it if it's a POS

Main bearing seal is my thinking as well. I actually reused that infamous orange o-ring on the OEM pump since I replaced it only 5k miles ago (I was also thinking that’s why the OEM one was having its new-at-the-time minor leak). Resealed OEM pump has 100 miles on it so far - smoke free and no fluid loss at all. We’ll see how well the Gates seals hold up!

Mine is in fact leaking. Do you know where to purchase a complete set of seals for the pump?

I'd probably grab these from you, and send them through a simple retrofit if you'd wanna help a buddy out with it. Mine aren't perfect matches and it bugs me.

They’re yours if you want them. Continuing the trend of what was once my car becoming your car.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

Mine is in fact leaking. Do you know where to purchase a complete set of seals for the pump?

I bought the following kit: Gates 348532

That kit covers 95% of the seals. It did not contain a snap-ring for the bearing but I just reused the old one since it wasn't deformed during removal. I bought the following as well:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XR6DHYS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XR9D14F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

These are the final two seals needed. One is 17mm OD x 13MM ID x 2mm width & the other is 16mm OD x 12mm ID x 2mm width. One is for the pressure sensor O-ring and the other is an O-ring for that outer bolt with the spring. (I forget which one goes where but it's fairly obvious to match up the old ones with the new ones)

I bought the following kit: Gates 348532

That kit covers 95% of the seals. It did not contain a snap-ring for the bearing but I just reused the old one since it wasn't deformed during removal. I bought the following as well:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XR6DHYS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XR9D14F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

These are the final two seals needed. One is 17mm OD x 13MM ID x 2mm width & the other is 16mm OD x 12mm ID x 2mm width. One is for the pressure sensor O-ring and the other is an O-ring for that outer bolt with the spring. (I forget which one goes where but it's fairly obvious to match up the old ones with the new ones)

Thanks man. So I am guessing Subaru does not sell a kit then.. Did you use some youtube diy video for the rebuild?

I had nooo problems with my last set of depo headlights. They were surprisingly nice out of the box and no issues for many years of daily use. Megan Racing exhaust parts of fine quality too.

We shall see! I'll return it if it's a POS

If you like their exhaust quality, you will probably be fine with their radiator quality. But the exhaust has little chance of adding metal contamination to your engine. I would check thoroughly and flush prior to install just to be safe. Not the best fab quality China has to offer.

Dont want a $200 radiator taking out a $6k engine.

Thanks man. So I am guessing Subaru does not sell a kit then.. Did you use some youtube diy video for the rebuild?

For some reason they do not. They do for other models - not sure why they skipped ours.

This is what I followed: