LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 5th gen today?? -V4

So it's been a while since I've posted but I'm still in the GT... for now... She's approaching 195k on stock everything and still holding her 12psi boost like a champ, although she rarely sees that because I only use it to commute during the week and drive the Titan on the weekends.

Anyhow last weekend I was trying to put on the serpentine belt that came with my timing belt kit.... it's been in the box with the extra STI WP I have which came in the Continental TB kit vs the LGT WP... When I did the TB the serpentine belt I had was ok so I reused it and saved the one from the kit for later. Well now comes time to replace the serpentine and for the life of me I could not get it to fit.

I have double checked the PN and according to Rockauto it's the right one (PN: 5060650) and it crosses over to 809221140 on all the manufacturers that list the 60650 which is what parts.subaru.com shows. I do see that the Gates & AC Delco PNs on RA have 651 at the end but they also cross to the 1140 subaru PN. So has anyone else ran into this or am I just being a wuss on the tensioner? I feel like I'm maxed out on the tensioner so I honestly feel like the belt is just too short. Obviously it's shorter than the one thats on the car because it's old and wore out but I can't seem to find anything that says the 5060650 is wrong.

If i remember correctly from the last time I did the serpentine belt(probably almost 30K ago) the tensioner moves a lot, I'd think the belt would have to be pretty undersized to not be able to get it in there at all. i put my breaker bar on it when i did it, you won't hurt the tensioner as long as you stop pulling when you hit a positive stop.

Do you have the serpentine belt routed the correct way? I have to look it up in the service manual when I do it.
Yes, also using FSM for reference
If i remember correctly from the last time I did the serpentine belt(probably almost 30K ago) the tensioner moves a lot, I'd think the belt would have to be pretty undersized to not be able to get it in there at all. i put my breaker bar on it when i did it, you won't hurt the tensioner as long as you stop pulling when you hit a positive stop.
Using same technique and definitely hitting the hard stopping point.

I did a little research on the Gates PN's and found a PDF that says the 60650 and 60651 are different at least for Gates but the lengths do not match what the subaru part states. On the subaru site is says the 809221140 is "V Belt-21X4X1654" and fits all 2010-2014 legacy and outback models. But on the pdf linked below it shows...1st numbers are imperial(in) 2nd are metric (mm)

K060650.............. 65 1/2 1665 13/16 20 40°

K060651.............. 65 3/4 1669 13/16 21 40°

https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/downloads/GATES%20Belt%20Size%20Listings.pdf

Even it being 1/4in or 4mm different between the 650 and 651 neither match the length that subarus site says unless its ID vs OD. Plus I shouldn't be maxing out the tensioner with that little difference.... I will see if I can leave the belt in the sun one day this week and get some of the factory "bend" out of it and get it to go on.

Worse comes to worse I get another belt and try to offload this one with the STI 3 port WP. Still curious as to why it was even part of the TB kit for our cars when it's clearly for the EJ257..... Of course I sometimes forget how Frankenstein our cars really are so it's not a big surprise.

buddy has a '14 outback, and we got 2 different gates belts, one that was too tight, and one that was just so barely too loose that it squeaked. got an OEM belt and all was fine...granted this was for an N/A engine, but...honestly from now on with subaru belts i'm just going OEM. same thing with thermostats, just haven't had good luck aftermarket

Installed a hitch and Invidia Q300 exhaust, needed extended exhaust hangers to keep exhaust from infrequent tapping on the hitch. If the new coil springs I ordered come in this week, I'll be replacing all of the coils and dampers this weekend. Then paint job!

@foxrider28 I've always had good luck with Continental Elite Poly-V belts (formerly Goodyear Gatorback). Been using them exclusively for around 15 years and never had to replace one. I do a little extra to make them last longer though. Before I install one I soak it in 303 Aerospace for a day. Then once a year or so I'll spray it down while the engine is running. The part number for 2010-12 Legacy is 4060650. No clue if you'll run in to the same fitment problem. It cross references to Subaru 809221140.

@foxrider28 I've always had good luck with Continental Elite Poly-V belts (formerly Goodyear Gatorback). Been using them exclusively for around 15 years and never had to replace one. I do a little extra to make them last longer though. Before I install one I soak it in 303 Aerospace for a day. Then once a year or so I'll spray it down while the engine is running. The part number for 2010-12 Legacy is 4060650. No clue if you'll run in to the same fitment problem. It cross references to Subaru 809221140.
That is the PN on the belt I have but it seems like it's just a tad too short. I haven't tried it again after last weekend but that was my 3rd attempt. The current belt is stretched of course but it's an inch longer if not more.... yeah i know "thats what she said".... I'm going to try it one more time and if it doesn't go then on to plan B.

:O Are...Are you...Are you gonna?

PPI as in pre purchase inspection :eek: Are you selling your GT?

Ruh roh

I was thinking the same thing.

Joe we need answers over here so we can start asking what you have on your parts shelf :hide:

Joe we need answers over here so we can start asking what you have on your parts shelf :hide:
You guys really need to get on the Facebook group. He's been selling his GT since like August 1st lmao.
She's going to @olympic1 on Saturday. His son also owns a 2012 GT.

I've been liquidating my uninstalled parts collection for the last year in the FB group. Whatever is left is going with the car.

I think I've committed blashemy.aae429d92ede4bb58e7786383eda71c9.jpg

Edited by GTEASER

I would have liked to have a shot at your car. I have been staying off of FB car groups, so I have no idea.
My first requirement of the sale was that it would NOT go to a salt state, so that automatically disqualified you anyway. The second requirement was that she have a dedicated garage space, and I flat out refused interest from those without a garage. The third was that the buyer have the means to care for her properly and I am confident my buyer does.

I'm sorry I didn't advertise it here. This platform has just been getting more and more difficult to use, specifically uploading photos. I just don't have the time and patience anymore for the forum.

She's going to @olympic1 on Saturday. His son also owns a 2012 GT.

I've been liquidating my uninstalled parts collection for the last year in the FB group. Whatever is left is going with the car.

I think I've committed blashemy.aae429d92ede4bb58e7786383eda71c9.jpg

I'm not saying it's right...but I understand.

My first requirement of the sale was that it would NOT go to a salt state, so that automatically disqualified you anyway. The second requirement was that she have a dedicated garage space, and I flat out refused interest from those without a garage. The third was that the buyer have the means to care for her properly and I am confident my buyer does.

My '12 GT is already really nice, it is SoCal car with just the one winter. It is probably in the top 10-15% of 2012 Legacy GT. Trust me, I was not going to search out for one of the nicest if not the nicest LGT in the country to drive it in the winter.

Despite my living in a salt state, I would have kept your car in a way that you would have been up to your standards. I drove my Legacy GT one winter after purchase the 1st year after my divorce. I buckled down and sucked it up that year to pay off divorce debts and help my financial future going forward. It killed me to drive it that winter and it hasn't seen winter since and it won't see another winter again under my ownership. I have had a 2nd collectible car since I was 21 and none of those vehicles ever saw a winter in 26 years since. As someone who works on their car, I understand what a NE winter does to car. Wrenching on my GMC Syclone engine compartment and undercarriage bolts is like turning a wrench on a 1 year old car. (its history is SoCal/Virginia collect never seen a winter truck) I have been talking about selling my Syclone the last couple years, its eventual replacement will be a rust free never driven in the salt as well. My LGT is going to its place, while I save up for my next one.

I don't know what to tell you man, as much as I hate FB sometimes, and as much as I shake my head sometimes at members in the group, I have felt that its important to remain active there. My asking price was $18k and I lowered that to $16k after no interest. The final sale price was very close to that.

My '12 GT is already really nice, it is SoCal car with just the one winter. It is probably in the top 10-15% of 2012 Legacy GT. Trust me, I was not going to search out for one of the nicest if not the nicest LGT in the country to drive it in the winter.

Despite my living in a salt state, I would have kept your car in a way that you would have been up to your standards. I drove my Legacy GT one winter after purchase the 1st year after my divorce. I buckled down and sucked it up that year to pay off divorce debts and help my financial future going forward. It killed me to drive it that winter and it hasn't seen winter since and it won't see another winter again under my ownership. I have had a 2nd collectible car since I was 21 and none of those vehicles ever saw a winter in 26 years since. As someone who works on their car, I understand what a NE winter does to car. Wrenching on my GMC Syclone engine compartment and undercarriage bolts is like turning a wrench on a 1 year old car. (its history is SoCal/Virginia collect never seen a winter truck) I have been talking about selling my Syclone the last couple years, its eventual replacement will be a rust free never driven in the salt as well. My LGT is going to its place, while I save up for my next one.

I don't know what to tell you man, as much as I hate FB sometimes, and as much as I shake my head sometimes at members in the group, I have felt that its important to remain active there. My asking price was $18k and I lowered that to $16k after no interest. The final sale price was very close to that.

mines only seen 7 winters, the top of every mountain rd in VT, and has been taken out every time it snows since the beginning of its life. it may be rusty as all get out but a better snow slayer there is not. hopefully it'll fail an inspection before its too far gone to become an actual racecar but i don't see it slowing down anytime soon. a clutch, timing belt, head gaskets, ARP studs, koni shocks and some more goodies are to come this spring before i start chasing some actual power, we'll see just how stuck those engine mount bolts are soon enough...

Yeah, mine won't see the salt around here anymore either. Kinda like being in a salt free state. I don't even take it out in the rain as much anymore either... kinda ridiculous.

Fortunately, I live in an effectively salt free region (they use road salt, but it's very infrequent) - after growing up in the northeast and dealing with that, I'll have to say it makes working on cars pretty easy - on my wifes old van, after 13 years and 284k miles, when you'd pull bolts out things would be dirty but otherwise corrosion free...

We tend to drive cars until they die, so it's either lots of time and miles until things start failing, or they get hit by a fellow New Mexico driver and taken out...

Sorry to see the car leave your garage. I had a feeling once the Lexus and especially the BMW came that it was only a matter of time.

I also do not have Facebook and was unaware you were selling the GT. I think the biggest thing we will miss here is all your knowledge and willingness to try out new things with your car. Also you being part of the core group here.

I love being part of this niche group that figures these cars out ourselves, though it has been dwindling lately.

Hope you pop back in from time to time, the forum is not the same without you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk