LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 5th gen today?? -V4

...I picked it up after a drive belt service, oil change, and swap onto my winter wheel/tire set. I also checked my coolant overflow and it looks like there's still sludge in there. The boost issue has been resolved and it still pulls hard, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm going to need head gaskets some time soon-ish down the road.

• 2 weeks later...

Shop vacced and baby seat install.. Oil change and fumoto install. Been 1yr- 4k miles since last one. Havent done it myself in a couple years. Forgot how far it arcs out.. always put cardboard down! Saved my garage floor lol also looks like some pitting at 12 o'clock on the filter cup. Any idea on that?d55d2273a727126167c368202db8f77e.jpg141135eeb7d7369a634e7cb08b6bd254.jpg0c537f5c756e042dbcd9a9b38ebe9207.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

It's aluminum and you live somewhere they use road salt - it's normal (just look at the other aluminum in the area!)

yeah lol the entire engine bay has me sad clowning as I look around. Surprisingly underneath the body wasn't awful though, tbh. Aside from the exhaust system everything looked decent. I have always made it a point to either hose off or do the touchless car wash under spray after snow/salt weeks. I imagine that makes a huge difference over the life of the vehicle.

But the pitting in question is within the filter's seal ring. so idk if the oil had burned too hot in the past? Or perhaps the 6ish months a few years back when it experienced higher than normal oil consumption it ran low for too long a couple of times before I was able to pick up a quart. Even before this oil change, the light came on and i had to top off for a couple of weeks til i had the time to change. makes me sad, man.

To keep with the thread, made the garage tidy and pulled both vehicles in, avoiding the 3-4 inches of snow and layer of sleet/ice that followed. YAY! Made this too expensive of a house worth it for the winter :lol: The cold drafts... not so much.

I just installed a Kenwood DMX9707S touchscreen receiver with the iDatalink Maestro RR2. So far everything works, including steering wheel controls, but I did spend quite a bit of time dealing with a configuration issue with the RR2 unit

I got everything from Crutchfield as a kit and it was pretty easy to install, just spendy $$$ :)

Now I need a back-up camera, I found out that the car has the wiring for a stock one, but I am likely going to get one that fits in the license plate light.

Finally got finished installing and wiring my dash cam. It's a Thinkware X700 with front and rear cameras (And GPS if you want to use it...I don't)

It was easy enough to mount but a bit of a PITA getting all wire hidden so it looks really tidy.

I ran the front camera wire across the top left of the windshield, in the little groove between the glass and the trim....very nice of Subaru to leave that for us. Then down the same groove along the front of the "A" pillar and then into the side of the dash.....all hidden under the trim and into the power plug in the center console.

The rear camera wire takes the same route but on the passenger side and down to the floor where it goes all the way to the trunk via the door sills and under the side of the back seat cushion ....Just enough wire in the kit :)

Works very well and gives a nice clear video of the front and rear.

IXwGw9p.jpg

Just a little follow up/random thought on Dash Cams..... A friend with a 2018 Volvo SUV was looking at one similar to mine and the Volvo service folks told him that he could sync his OEM back-up camera to work with a dash cam to provide the rear view recording. Has anyone tried this with our cars or even heard if it's possible?

Be a little money saver if it works....no idea what the resolution on OEM rear view cameras would be but if it is compatible with what the dash cam is, it would be okay....maybe?

Made the final payment on my Legacy. Paid off my 6 year loan 30 months early. Pretty pleased with myself. :)

Good for you paying it off and paying it off early. Keep it going with other debts and if you are debt free put the extra towards savings/investments. It is a good financial habit to be constantly saving and spending less money than you make.

• 2 weeks later...

Steering rack bushes are worn out. So there are 2 bushings in the mounting ears and 1 more in the clamp around the rack body. Should be no problem!

A few hours later...:rolleyes:

Gag63dT.jpg

At least the parts were cheap, $35 for everything from the dealer.

Fu*ck that noise lol

Indeed! I'm paying a buddy to do it at his shop lol!

Damn, all that effort I would have put a poly steering rack bushing kit in.

I hadnt thought of that, it would have been a good upgrade! I just discovered it on the alignment rack, thought I had an alignment problem because of a bit of wandering on the highway. Turns out the rack was moving in its mounting. I've never had a car have rack bushings go bad and wasnt expecting it here, so upgrading wasnt really on my radar.

How many is a few hours, 10? That is a lot of work for 3 bushings.

We have 2 techs working on the car. They started at 2pm and that pic was at around 5:30pm, so 3-1/2 hours or so.

If you listen closely, you can hear that front swaybar whispering "upgrade me!" :lol:

Oof... I already pointed out the fact he should have installed a poly bushing kit for th rack, now this. It even pains me to see the subframe sitting there and the bar not get upgraded after the struggle I went through to get mine swapped.

"Enablers" :lol:

Yeah lol, this would have been a perfect time to do the sways!

I never really took that seriously too because I had read it was such a pain to do, and I never really thought I'd be pulling that subframe anytime in my ownership.

started getting some burning coolant smell a couple weeks ago. i couldn't figure out where it was coming from, so had to take it in to the shop...finally got a slot today. looks like it's a pinhole in one of the coolant lines coming off the turbo. getting all of the lines in that area replaced and new hardware. just gonna take a week to get all the parts in since nobody really stocks them of course

I changed my original break bulbs for flashing:

Just an FYI, it sounds like these bulbs don't have an internal resistor. You will likely run into issues of dashboard lights because ours cars dont play well with LED brake bulbs that aren't run with a resistor

taken from this link: https://www.walmart.com/ip/3157-Flashing-BRK-LGT-2pc/759557591

sdfgsfdgsdgd.png.ca0becf2c66e8cd59b90a50cc5c6d49b.png