LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 5th gen today?? -V4

One more reason why I'm glad to be running a 20g soon with my build. Powerband is shifting to keep more stress off out trans. Most of my miles are highway so it'll make the higher gears more fun.

To agree with Mr.Teaser, I like the quick spool don't get me wrong but the stress is something I've always been concerned about.

A good tuner can make your progressively linear. Not so much of a 'HIT' if that makes sense

To play devil's advocate, and because I don't think I fully understand all this:

Why not just set target boost much lower in the low rpm range - such as 12psi at 2500, 15psi at 3000, and full boost after 3000? Would that address the concern?

On the other hand, to combat the added spool of a slightly larger turbo, you could just shift 500 rpm higher all the time, right? (once it's appropriately warmed up of course) I'm thinking that if you used to shift at 3500rpm getting on the freeway, bump it up to 4000rpm and the 18G should seem to spool similarly to your stock turbo. Does that make sense?

Please don't hesitate to school me here if I have it all wrong. I'm trying to learn and be able to make informed choices about what I want for my car.

I would think you don't want to start bleeding pressure off the turbine until you have reached peak turbo efficiency. I mean technically you could bleed off intake pressure at low rpm and let the turbo do its thing but then you are wasting all that work done.

Well I got my car back today. New clutch fork, clutch, STI exhaust cams, TGV deletes, and some other miscellaneous stuff like a new serpentine belt.

I wish I could say that I feel a difference, but all I'm feeling right now is the clutch damper delete. I stalled twice on the way home. So I need to get used to that I guess.

I'll get a WOT log when I get the chance to see if I can see any difference.

Well I got my car back today. New clutch fork, clutch, STI exhaust cams, TGV deletes, and some other miscellaneous stuff like a new serpentine belt.

I wish I could say that I feel a difference, but all I'm feeling right now is the clutch damper delete. I stalled twice on the way home. So I need to get used to that I guess.

I'll get a WOT log when I get the chance to see if I can see any difference.

With the addition of the STi cams I would think that you wouldn't feel much at all without a new tune to optimize the advantages of the new cam profiles. Part of the tuning process is using the AVCS to an advantage and timing the cams in concert with boost and ignition timing.

What did I do? Broke 3rd gear. With 180k miles... it was expected - I was just praying a bunch lately and must have run out of subi god love.
That sucks! Well, at least you were already doing homework for a replacement.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

So I was driving along the interstate today, and it was very windy, and of course some of the roads are pretty worn in along I4 in the Tampa area. I have noticed something odd though. When I brake while at speed my car acts like it wants to pull one way or the other, I am really considering an front brake upgrade with some Brembos.

I also nearly rear-ended some A-hat who decided 500 ft from a toll booth they really had to be about 4 lanes to the right, and instead stopped right where they were.

Edited by FLlegacy

Pulled it out of the garage and drove it to work.

While dropping my son off for school I heard the throw-out bearing chirping at idle, and when I use the wipers to clear the dust off the windshield so I could see better with the sun blaring at me I discovered one of the blades took a poop and the rubber edge separated from the rest of the wiper. And then when I stopped at the gas station I discovered that its been so long since I put gas in it that I forgot where the gas door release was and also forgot how to hang the cap on the gas door. All of this was very sad.

I drove my Legacy for the 1st time since mid January. I looked at my gas logs and my last fill up was December 20th. I ended driving my GT 21.5 miles this winter on nice days. My GT is going back to daily driver status this week.

Washed it, vacuumed it and did a minor detail job....then put it back in the garage where it will sit for a quite a while. I am going in for hip replacement surgery tomorrow so won't be driving for sometime to come. :(

This getting old is not all the fun it is supposed to be.....I think the gold in my "Golden years" turned out to be RUST!!

Washed it, vacuumed it and did a minor detail job....then put it back in the garage where it will sit for a quite a while. I am going in for hip replacement surgery tomorrow so won't be driving for sometime to come. :(

This getting old is not all the fun it is supposed to be.....I think the gold in my "Golden years" turned out to be RUST!!

Good luck with your surgery.

If your Legacy is going to be sitting more than 3 weeks. I would recommend disconnecting one of the battery terminals or connecting it to battery charger that will maintain the charge.

It will be parked for about 2 weeks....maybe a little more and I do have a trickle charger.

This is my second "New" hip joint and I was only out of commission for 2 weeks last time and apparently the recovery is a lot quicker now with the newer better procedure. Fingers crossed :)

Installed the WRX short throw shifter tonight. You can tell the biggest difference from 2-3, and 3-4. Also, side to side is much tighter.
I think you and I are the only ones with the WRX shifter and all the Perrin goodies.

I think you and I are the only ones with the WRX shifter and all the Perrin goodies.

i have a factory STI STS and all the perrin goodies... does that count? it's gotta 10X more predictable now, almost as good as my friends wrx w/ a STS & a mechanical linkage

It will be parked for about 2 weeks....maybe a little more and I do have a trickle charger.

This is my second "New" hip joint and I was only out of commission for 2 weeks last time and apparently the recovery is a lot quicker now with the newer better procedure. Fingers crossed :)

My father-in-law had his replaced about 2-3 months ago. I was really surprised that his recovery was so quick. It's nice to see him not in pain anymore. He did show me the x-ray.....looks like they drove a rail spike into his femur. 😬

Close, all I have left is the short shift plate on the transmission. I was leaning toward Boomba because of the stock-ish weighted design. Then COBB had to go and release their new plate.

Close, all I have left is the short shift plate on the transmission. I was leaning toward Boomba because of the stock-ish weighted design. Then COBB had to go and release their new plate.
If I had to do it over again, I would have chosen the Boomba.

i have a factory STI STS and all the perrin goodies... does that count? it's gotta 10X more predictable now, almost as good as my friends wrx w/ a STS & a mechanical linkage
No, because the mechanism on the STS shifter are completely different, well not completely, but very.

Back to summer mode. :) This winter has been rough on the car, but I just feel better driving it with my summer wheels on. Looks so much better than winters.

I am going to wait until May to swap my summer wheels back on. I bent a rim a couple years ago on a pot hole in April on the day I put my summer tires on. In New England, this time of the years is the worst in terms of pot holes. The road has had a full winter to accumulate the potholes. The road repair crew only address the most significant holes during the winter and many of those fixes are only temporary.

On a side note, I used to travel to Chicago every 3 months for work. One of my trips was every March, the pot holes around Midway airport were monsters and some of the worst I have ever seen. Some of the holes weren't just going to bend a rim.