LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 5th gen today?? -V4

Got a bug up my butt the other day after installing my radiator and decided to finally slap on the Kakimoto Intake Chamber. Planning on dyno testing next week to get a baseline before finally installing my headers and am going to test with both the stock intake and this intake and see if there's any number different or if its just some fun bay bling.

ginbsl4.jpg

OuRPHOa.jpg

Mjd4cfP.jpg

qOllgwj.jpg

IOjXFzF.jpg

Tvb2oaf.jpg

07VPteN.jpg

RNk6zFa.jpg

Kn5TZ3b.jpg

Very interested in the results Humble. My redone headers come today from inferno (other ones lost a fight w a pothole) and I can't wait to get back on the road after 3 months....

The headers will be going on very shortly after the dyno days, and then a re-dyno session to see the difference and get the tune sorted out (also doing the same intake swapping with the headers to see which combo performs best of the bunch). Trying to get all this stuff sorted out in the next 5 weeks to make SubieFest Midwest for Autox.

Small project from over the weekend: Laile Beatrush Alternator cover fitted to my 3.6R. Bought this item used on YAJ, and the previous owner was a 2.5i Legacy (and fitted the STI plate, which I actually quite like), so the top holes were already perfectly drilled for the 2.5i alternator bracket. I fabbed up a very simple mending plate solution for affixing the 2.5i alternator bracket to the 3.6R. The right side of the bracket mounts essentially the same, the left side just lands slightly to the left and up. It’s similar enough that I was even able to re-attach the cable bracket that normally sits there (shown in the last two pictures) but that forced the cover to sit at a weird angle, so I just forewent it. I might add a washer or two on the left side, but overall very happy with the outcome. Love how this looks with the Kakimoto intake as well. Finally turning the engine bay into a very nice place to be, and somewhere that I’m not shy to show off at local meets and shows. 😊

LTUAwuf.jpg

yUf1pWW.jpg

0Va5e1x.jpg

nHQSkyB.jpg

1vaycML.jpg

TW5jMoI.jpg

QJkPy9C.jpg

tZNypbb.jpg

TDYUxTj.jpg

9YsPIip.jpg

9vMuCfc.jpg

kMW0FWv.jpg

P664Aqq.jpg

OXeWMSa.jpg

Wireless Android Auto adapter! Switched back to my S21U and it was having issues with dropping connection, realized it was the USB port, so I found an adapter which honestly makes the whole process so much better. I don't even have to take my phone out.

Wireless Android Auto adapter! Switched back to my S21U and it was having issues with dropping connection, realized it was the USB port, so I found an adapter which honestly makes the whole process so much better. I don't even have to take my phone out.

What radio do you have?

Have not done yet, but I am thinking of adding some Halos. I remember seeing a thread on how to open and black out the headlights, but I can't seem to find it, I tried searching the forum through google, but not luck. Does any one have the link to the thread? thank you

Have not done yet, but I am thinking of adding some Halos. I remember seeing a thread on how to open and black out the headlights, but I can't seem to find it, I tried searching the forum through google, but not luck. Does any one have the link to the thread? thank you

Here is the thread on my headlight project:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/jdm-clone-headlight-project-280778.html

Thank you very helpful! Would you be able to tell me where did you get the smoked corner lenses from?

i have '14 legacy so some of the headlight is already black out and was planning on painting the rest of the chrome black as well, is it as simple as just spraying it with black paint? or does the chrome have to be sand?

I got them from klearz.com. Looks like it may be hard to get them now, but you could contact them and see what they can do. I don't remember if I sanded them or not. There was a LOT of taping off to get the look I was going for. Also, you will need a good sized oven to fit these long headlamps into. I ended up using a box, heat gun, and a blanket for insulation to heat it up.

Klearz makes them to order, so you should still be able to get them. I have them on my lights as well, went with the clear version. (old pic)

Fair warning: the tiny tabs that hold them in are substantially more fragile than the OEM reflectors.

N2EoAcL.png

• 3 weeks later...

Installed the 180mm rear threaded bodies on my Fortune 500s, got the ride height finally where I want it and even with the front. Then spent the day at Ultima Race Works for alignment & corner balancing. Found out my cars curb weight is a pretty dang good and a fair bit lighter than I was expecting: 3674 lbs with a 240 lb ballast in the driver's seat to account for my weight, which puts the dry weight at 3434 lbs. I was honestly expecting more around 3800 with me in the car. Considering my car is not at all stripped and there's still tons of weight I can realistically shed, that's a really exciting figure. I'm officially lighter than a modern STI lmao. Advantages of being a base model. :lol: Super happy with the ride height, and still totally drivable/livable even at this height. After the alignment and corner-balancing, I've even noticed that the few large bumps on the highway that I would get a slight rub on no longer even give me trouble. The car feels absolutely *INCREDIBLE* to drive after this. The whole thing just feels like it moves more cohesively as a single unit. Definitely recommend for anyone on coils.

PkXQpL1.jpg

B41GR8M.jpg

hdH6K4O.jpg

lGb7u2M.jpg

f0y6oQP.jpg

fixkb7i.jpg

0qDGHJv.jpg

Corner balancing isn't all I did at Ultima: also did some dyno time! Just power pulls, no tuning, but to get a baseline before installing my headers and to compare the Kakimoto intake to the stock intake. And disappointing news: stock made more across the entire power band.

tb7XM0Q.jpg

Hgufej6.jpg

JkMAlJX.jpg

Exciting news however, my car apparently makes freak power?? 251hp/261tq at the wheels on a Mustang dyno! On stock headers, AEM panel filter, HKS intake funnel, stock intake, Nameless 5" Axlebacks, and XRT 93 oct tune. This is massively more than I was expecting. I last dyno'd my car in 2018 and put down 228.49 to wheels on a Dynojet, which I was pretty happy with (translates to about 286hp at the crank). Mustang dynos however usually read LOWER than Dynojets, and too see this number is astonishing to me. I found formula online to estimate Dynojet numbers from Mustang numbers, as well as a calculator to estimate crank hp from wheel hp, and got the following results:

(Mustang Dyno HP x 0.9)/2615 + 1 x Mustang Dyno HP = Dynojet HP

(251HP x 0.9)/2615 + 1 x 251 = 273HP on a Dynojet

OrUQx4D.png

Obviously this numbers are purely speculative, but considering that stock 3.6R's typically put down 180-190 on Mustang dynos and tuned typically run 210-220, I'm *extremely* happy with this power figure. This is even higher than some cars I've seen with Raptor headers. Needless to say, I'm starting from an excellent jumping off point to install my headers, which I should hopefully be doing tomorrow or over the weekend. :D

Almost 30 years ago, I bought a mid 80's Corvette. One of the mods everyone said to do online was to remove the screen and heat sink from the MAF sensor to reduce the airflow restriction. I actually went to the track 2 weeks apart and gained .1 and 1mph from the mod. Sure enough it work as everyone claimed. Around 2000 I got into tuning, one of the highly respect tuners said the mod was worthless and recommended not doing it as it changed the calibration of the sensor. He explain that the gains were from leaning out the sensor. I tried it, with a stock sensor and tuning the ECM for both. When they both were tuned, the car ran the same and seemed smoother with the stock sensor. It was eye opening in that best way to measure a change in a performance parts effectiveness is to tune the ecm from each change (including the stock engine)

If your car was tuned and optimized for the stock intake with the intake funnel, it may explain the loss for the aftermarket part. It would not surprise if they made similar power and I would guess the loss was mostly from the tune.

Ironically, the tune revision the car was running on for all runs was made with the Kakimoto intake installed on the car, so the stock intake ran the Kakimoto's tune better than the Kakimoto did. Tbh, Ed with XRT was surprised too, but he said that the Intake may show more benefit after installing headers, so I'm going to retest stock and Kakimoto post-header install as well, and possibly have Ed do a live dyno-tuning session.

After more than 19 months since purchase and more than a half decade of anticipation, my car finally has headers! Took the time over the weekend to finally install my Inferno Fab headers, and MAN I should have done this years ago. Not only are the headers, welds, materials, and fitment absolutely top notch, but the way that Inferno set everything up, in 5 pieces with v-bands between the headers and cats and slip sleeves on the rear y-junction, made installation super simple and smooth. Additionally, since my engine was replaced only about 8 months ago, and I replaced my midpipe less than 1.5 years ago, all the factory hardware was relatively easy to remove.

They sound *fantastic*. They took the sound characteristics from the previous setup with just the Nameless Axlebacks, and basically just remixed and expanded them. Much, much louder at rev and full throttle, but no extra drone, and still just a near-silent at warm idle and traveling speed. It kept everything I loved about the Nameless without making it obnoxious or intrusive. I suspect that it would do the same for any other muffler setup as well. Could not be more pleased with the quality of these, huge shoutout to Inferno Fabrications for this fantastic product.

Sound clips comparing the previous stock setup with only axlebacks to the new setup can be found in this post on my instagram, on the 5th-9th images of the post (press the little right arrow on the image, or swipe right on mobile): https://www.instagram.com/p/CfvIokbMGJD/

Also, I learned that the specific high-flow cats Inferno used are by Canammex, part #435, called the "Thunderbolt 6000". So I definitely have the exhaust setup with the sickest name: Inferno Headers and Thunderbolt 600 Cats. :lol:

5NpXlK4.jpg

ucr0Jnj.jpg

svgoetF.jpg

c7OFKOB.jpg

LDHsay7.jpg

Nice. Wish they had them for an '09 OB 3.0R. I only see 05-07 on their site. The price is a steal compared to OEM replacements.

Reach out to him. He'll make them for sure. Is there actually a difference between 05-07 and 08-09 3.0R?

Edited by Humble Rumble

Did another thing recently: new street wheels for the car. Enkei RS05RR 18x9.5 +43 in Sparkle Silver. Really missed having silver wheels, and love how these look on my color. Making my Konigs my track wheels until my track tires are used up, then probably selling them, making the Enkei's my track wheels, and getting back into a 19 setup for street.

0x2ZEVz.jpg

hpv0n60.jpg

CjzBtxt.jpg

b7aYkkM.jpg

5lO63n3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is there actually a difference between 05-07 and 08-09 3.0R?

I don't know, maybe not. The OEM parts are listed for either 05-07 or 08-09, but aftermarket parts on RockAuto list them for 05-09.