LegacyGT.com

Nameless Downpipe: Official 5th Gen GT Install Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Who is your tuner? Cryo and Tuning Alliance have done 5th Gens.

Innovative. They've done a few 5th gens but none with this DP. Tune has been ruled out as the issue though so I don't think going to another tuner will get me anywhere. WGDC is set to 0% in my temp tune and the logs confirm that.

Some good information here:

https://static.cobbtuning.com/support/accessport/docs/Subaru_Boost_Control_System.html

The factory boost control system bleeds pressure away from the wastegate actuator to the intake or turbo inlet pipe. With this device set at 0% wastegate duty cycle through the ECM calibration, all of the air pressure generated at the compressor housing will be applied to the wastegate actuator forcing the wastegate valve to fully open. When the wastegate actuator is fully open, the vehicle will run mechanical boost pressure which can be anything from 7-11psi on original equipment manufacturer (OEM) turbochargers.

So you are running mechanical boost pressure and still overboosting? Our wastegate actuator spring can't be more than 15 lbs.

Were any of the vac lines for the EBCS replaced, should there be a restrictor pill or was the restrictor pill accidentally removed?

So you are running mechanical boost pressure and still overboosting? Our wastegate actuator spring can't be more than 15 lbs.

Were any of the vac lines for the EBCS replaced, should there be a restrictor pill or was the restrictor pill accidentally removed?

Correct, still overboosting despite being on mechanical boost pressure. Again, this is what the ECU thinks, so perhaps there is still something mechanically wrong.

Innovative tested the EBCS and found no issues. I'm sure some vac lines were removed then reinstalled in the process. I don't know if we have restrictor pills and I wouldn't expect one to fall out or anything accidentally. I'm a noob with some of these parts but I'll take a peek and see if anything looks odd.

Swannee did the heat shield mod but not with the stock turbo, only after he went 18G. jackal had to do it too, but also with bigger turbo. jackal has an Invidia catless DP.

Does anyone have a pic of which heat shield needs be modified?

Correct, still overboosting despite being on mechanical boost pressure. Again, this is what the ECU thinks, so perhaps there is still something mechanically wrong.

Innovative tested the EBCS and found no issues. I'm sure some vac lines were removed then reinstalled in the process. I don't know if we have restrictor pills and I wouldn't expect one to fall out or anything accidentally. I'm a noob with some of these parts but I'll take a peek and see if anything looks odd.

Yes, the stock spring is 7-8psi, typically they will creep to around 10 psi or so. How much boost are you hitting?

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You can test the system by running a line directly from the boost source port to the wastegate (completely bypassing the ebcs). Not sure if this is what you have done or not.

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, the stock spring is 7-8psi, typically they will creep to around 10 psi or so. How much boost are you hitting?

~21

You can test the system by running a line directly from the boost source port to the wastegate (completely bypassing the ebcs). Not sure if this is what you have done or not.

Going to try that this weekend hopefully.

Does anyone have a pic of which heat shield needs be modified?

Anyone? I'm hoping on ordering replacement turbo heat shields since mine are rusted and just wanted to see if the one modified are any of these circled in red.

807945446_turboshield.thumb.jpg.1b017f89a2e77b7682bdf6c4a8ba04f2.jpg

heatshield.thumb.jpg.a077d5ae844faed8618de3f6fe14d68a.jpg

Well the harbor freight mityvac pump ended up being for vacuum only so I couldn't verify that the flapper can open properly. I'll have to order a better one and retest later. I did get to inspect the lines between the turbo, wastegate, and bcs. It all looks good and and the restrictor pill is in place.

With the 65F temp today, I was only able to get about 16.5 psi. Compare that to ~21 psi a couple days ago when it was 30F. We all know temp has an impact on boost, nothing unusual there. I just find it surprising that even with these warm temps I'm still exceeding the wastegate spring pressure by a fair amount.

Yeah a 5 psi jump due to temperature would be nuts. Unfortunately that still sounds like a mechanical issue.

I wish I could get mine on to install so I could help trouble shoot but I'm not equipped or close to having the support right now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Well the harbor freight mityvac pump ended up being for vacuum only so I couldn't verify that the flapper can open properly. I'll have to order a better one and retest later. I did get to inspect the lines between the turbo, wastegate, and bcs. It all looks good and and the restrictor pill is in place.

With the 65F temp today, I was only able to get about 16.5 psi. Compare that to ~21 psi a couple days ago when it was 30F. We all know temp has an impact on boost, nothing unusual there. I just find it surprising that even with these warm temps I'm still exceeding the wastegate spring pressure by a fair amount.

On my 4th gen I was able to connect a a bike pump to one of the lines and use it to force the flapper open (I was checking for clearance to the downpipe). You can probably do something similar. Especially if you only need 10-21 psi to see what's happening.

Eckseleven how far are you from CT? You should come visit me and I'll get it straightened out for you and do a street tune. Need to play with more 5th gens!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Does anyone have a video of the exhaust yet? I am stuck overseas and haven't even seen mine in person yet.

Do mean a video of the parts out of the box or a video of it installed. I've got a video of mine on the dyno if thats what you mean, I've been slacking on uploading it but I know everyone else was asking for it so I'll try to do it tonight.

I'll take you up on that. Do you have a waiting list for tunes or pretty open?

Weekends are good. Shoot me an email to schedule something.

tuningalliance@gmail.com

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]