LegacyGT.com

Nameless Downpipe: Official 5th Gen GT Install Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A couple images showing where we suspect the contact point is. First is a random google image. The other is the actual DP.

vf54.jpg.6843171b450964ec4b29cf8576fb819b.jpg

78f4b325-bec0-4c23-9111-6e8f84b995ed_resized.jpg.e7d108f32caec7147dc2e34e072b272a.jpg

And the actual exhaust housing.

474561b7-a78c-4f08-8063-5e9bf8fac7dd_resized.jpg.f09e2df3b2dc13c73b0aee7cc656857b.jpg

Still working out what the exact course of action will be. A coworker is going to lend me his inspection camera so I'll try to look in there at some point this week.

Out of curiosity, what is the diameter (inside / outside) of the turbine dump pipe?

Sent from a device using some software.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Yeap, my fears were validated when I mated up the downpipe to the turbo, it won't fit :(

(Real reason I don't want two money pits)

Wait, what am I lookin' at??

I feel ya. I've got a list of other parts going on, and a tune is not in my future until post-winter, so the DP is staying in the box until warmer weather (and better tires). Will be interesting to see if this is a design flaw that needs addressed by Nameless. Is this the third one that's been installed?

Wait, what am I lookin' at??

I feel ya. I've got a list of other parts going on, and a tune is not in my future until post-winter, so the DP is staying in the box until warmer weather (and better tires). Will be interesting to see if this is a design flaw that needs addressed by Nameless. Is this the third one that's been installed?

That was my other car's turbo (I was trying to make a funny) To be clear: I did not install it just took it out of the box to admire craftsmanship

Are you using the Totally Stainless hardware or the OEM turbo studs?

Totally Stainless hardware.

I think you are the first to try this DP with the Totally Stainless hardware, and I believe this may be the issue.

Okay, here is my idea. It seems like the tolerance on the Nameless DP is very finicky because the design of the turbine dump pipe is so different from all other downpipes and the clearance to the wastegate flapper is very small. Since the Totally Stainless hardware is a bolt, and not a stud, they dont have the locating shoulder (or dowel area) like a standard stud does to mechanically locate the DP flange on the turbo housing. The diameter of the threads is slightly smaller than the stud "dowel". This may allow the DP to move back and forth a little and even though your shop tried to move it toward the front of the car, it is possible that it shifted while the bolts were being tightened down. Just a few thousandths of an inch, coupled with a few hundred degrees of material expansion, and that could be the difference between a stuck flapper and a free flapper. This would never be an issue with a bellmouth style downpipe.

Therefore, I would suggest trying the OEM studs and nuts to see if that corrects the problem.

If you choose to correct this with a slight modification of the turbine dump tube, I would recommend flattening the side closest to the flapper ever so slightly versus grinding the pipe to create clearance. Making the tubing wall thinner on one side in a high heat area like immediately post turbo may cause the material to crack or break from differentials in expansion and contraction, and the ladt thing you want is chunks breaking off in the vicinity of the turbine.

Edited by GTEASER

I too wondered if the switch to bolts is causing a problem but I don't see how that is possible. The dowel area is enlarged and as far as I can tell matches the diameter of the stud where the threads are.

IMG_20151117_070226.thumb.jpg.125086731d342eb542ed67929e4aae5f.jpg

Nameless is telling me to just drill out the holes and try again.

Out of curiosity, what is the diameter (inside / outside) of the turbine dump pipe?

Can anyone get an answer to this? I'm told that the dump pipe diameter matches the wheel opening and is supposed to be centered exactly over the wheel. But it seems that if it is the inside diameter that matches the wheel, then it wouldn't be possible to center the pipe over the wheel no matter what since you'll hit that far wall. I guess it doesn't matter at this point, just curious.

What I find strange is that the gap between the wheel opening and flapper looks like a good 1/4 of an inch. Right?

Can anyone get an answer to this? I'm told that the dump pipe diameter matches the wheel opening and is supposed to be centered exactly over the wheel. But it seems that if it is the inside diameter that matches the wheel, then it wouldn't be possible to center the pipe over the wheel no matter what since you'll hit that far wall. I guess it doesn't matter at this point, just curious.

What I find strange is that the gap between the wheel opening and flapper looks like a good 1/4 of an inch. Right?

That's what I would think. I haven't seen the stainless hardware at all but like Teaser said a combination of the hardware and the pipe expanding could potentially bridge that gap. I would also take into consideration that since these are handmade it's very possible that there could be slight imperfections across the board the dump pipe itself may slightly offset in a perfect way that could cause issues but cant be seen with a naked eye. Just an idea but maybe you could somehow use something to mark where the dump tube is touching, like put some material or fluid that would be safe inside the turbo on the ring of the dump tube, mock it up, and see where it leaves the ring. That probably wont do anything if it only gets blocked under load but if its always hitting that might tell you something.

I too wondered if the switch to bolts is causing a problem but I don't see how that is possible. The dowel area is enlarged and as far as I can tell matches the diameter of the stud where the threads are.

[ATTACH]219876[/ATTACH]

Nameless is telling me to just drill out the holes and try again.

It may look like it matches but in these cases a few thousands will make all the difference if you put calipers to it i bet the threads are at least .010" narrower not to mention the tolerance that is applied to bolts is always in the negative so for a 1/2" bolt it has to be less than 1/2" at the thread and depending on the bolt quality and size can be as much as .020 lower than that, then there is the tolerance on the holes them selves probably around 5 thou for a nice company like nameless, then the hole positions tolerance. if all of those tolerances are working against you cleaning up the connection between the hole and bolt can be the deciding factor. you can effectively remove 2 sets of tolerances by using a nice tight clearance shoulder bolt or stud. Get some measurements on the holes in the DP when you can and compare them to bolts.