LegacyGT.com

Nameless Downpipe: Official 5th Gen GT Install Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

fahr_side always coming through with the knowledge. How did you get to be such a wizard?

I was right? Yay!

;)

Sent from a device using some software.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Getting tuned now. May have an issue that we're hoping is something simple. Car is hitting boost cut very easily. Boost controller isn't doing its job OR the waste gate can't open. I've been told that they've seen that with some divorced waste gate downpipes. Since no one else has reported this I'd be surprised if it was the dp.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

I have 2010 Legacy FT currently @ 117k. Have maintained well and never did any mods. All stock. Went catless last week with new Invidia downpipe for first mod. Seems to be a little quicker from the start, but opens up significantly stronger. Any advice for next mods?

Also looking at replacing all struts in the near future.

I have 2010 Legacy FT currently @ 117k. Have maintained well and never did any mods. All stock. Went catless last week with new Invidia downpipe for first mod. Seems to be a little quicker from the start, but opens up significantly stronger. Any advice for next mods?

Also looking at replacing all struts in the near future.

Congrats on going Stage2!! I hope you got a proper tune. :eek:

This thread really isn't the place to discuss suspensions or your Invidia. Please see some of the other threads and stickies here regarding suspension and "what you did to your 5th Gen today". ;)

So it's not the boost controller or anything related to tunning. It's either the WG actuator or the flapper can't physically open due to a blockage. Car is going on the lift for further analysis. Grr things started out smooth...

So it's not the boost controller or anything related to tunning. It's either the WG actuator or the flapper can't physically open due to a blockage. Car is going on the lift for further analysis. Grr things started out smooth...

Is it throwing a code at you? If i step on mine in 4th gear no matter what rpm I'm at boost creeps all the way up to 24psi then I get a fuel cut and p0108 Manifold Absolute Pressure High Input. My tuner recommended a 3-port, so that and TMIC+charge pipe are going in on Tuesday. If it still creeps after all that then I'm thinking porting the turbo will be the next course of action.

you definitely want to chop a hole in the heat shield around the whole waste gate rod where it connects to the hot side. And swannee also chopped off the last few threads on the rod itself because it can be an issue.

I'm definitely interested in this dp so I'm watching you guy's progress really closely.

If you could, please note potential issues you guys are seeing with the install and tuning. I'd like to know what I'm getting into.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Alright, confirmed it's not the rod. Waste gate is functioning properly. It looks like the flapper is hitting the main exhaust exit of the DP. I've asked them to see if there is any wiggle room to shift the whole assembly a bit to try to get it to clear. Not many options if that won't work. Could possibly drill out the mounting holes on the flange to make room [emoji53] I'm surprised no one else had this problem.

Well it was a rough day and I wish I had some good news to share after it all but I don't.

After they removed the DP, inspected it, and reinstalled with it pushed as far over as possible (there was basically no wiggle room) things appeared good. The flapper could open like normal. So they got it back on the dyno to finally begin tunning. Then after a few pulls, something goes wrong again. This time it appears the flapper is stuck open. Car won't build boost beyond waste gate spring pressure.

So the theory is, is that when things warmed up enough, the tubing that extends in to the housing expands just enough to catch the flapper. I'm going to contact Nameless to see how we can proceed. I ended up leaving with a temporary map so the car is at least drive-able. Big bummer though. :(

Sorry, haven't had a chance to upload pics. I know you all are eager to get more details. I drove the car yesterday and after getting back home and turning it off, I heard a loud "PING" a short time later which I can only assume was the flapper freeing and snapping closed as everything cooled. I'm expecting there to be a mark on the DP where the contact point is but obviously I'll have to get everything apart to take a look. Maybe I can snake a camera up there...

So for some good news, even with the temporary tune, holy balls does it have some low end punch. I thought the stage 1 protune was good. Can't wait to see what it will be like when the issues are resolved. My clutch is holding so far ;)