Nameless Downpipe: Official 5th Gen GT Install Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I'm back in over boost land....

Got around to installing my Cobb intake box this past week and went out tonight to see if my IATs are back down to where they were with the stock intake. Things were looking great. Decided to do a 3rd gear pull starting at 3k RPM. Glad I was logging because she gave up before 5k RPM.

It was much hotter when I first started the etune process with TA so that could explain why things looked good then. I sent out my log to see if anything can be done with the tune.

WTF

Just need a refund n go with a invidia or avo dp

Having to mod it is redicilous

I don't disagree that modding on a part that claims to work isn't right, but all aftermarket downpipes so far have caused some over boosting except the original nameless one.

On another note, my porting bits and grimmspeed adapter are coming tomorrow, got some explaining to do when the dude shows up with the packages...exhaust leak sounds like a good reasonable one, lol. So I can probably get it put in Wednesday, I am concerned about running the cobb map though.

Good parameters to have on my V3 for monitoring?

I have now: boost, target boost, fkc, dam, IAT, coolant temp

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

If anyone has first hand knowledge of this turbo housing removal please chime in. I am assuming after looking at all the pictures I could find that I need to remove the whole turbo assembly. I was hoping the housing would just unbolt and then unclamp from the turbo assembly, but I fear not.

As unfortunate as this is going to sound, your easiest way to do it will be to remove the whole manifold assembly with the turbo. It really is easy to remove. Then you will have a real clear view of everything you are doing.

That is what I have been thinking, I know the manifold is easy enough to get off, so then the intake, charge pipe, coolant, and oil line connections. I think I can get it done fairly easily maybe two hours for removal and another two for install. Maybe two or three for exhaust housing disassembly and porting then reassembly.

Piece of cake! :spin:

It is real easy to just disconnect the oil lines at the head. A bit tricky to get the manifold out with them on there, but it is a whole lot easier that way. I have done both methods. Just be sure to get new crush washers. You can get them from Subie, but most auto parts places will have them too.

It is real easy to just disconnect the oil lines at the head. A bit tricky to get the manifold out with them on there, but it is a whole lot easier that way. I have done both methods. Just be sure to get new crush washers. You can get them from Subie, but most auto parts places will have them too.

Do you have a part number? And did you drain the coolant like the FSM says or just plug off the lines?

When I was doing it I was always pulling the motor, turbo gets in the way of removing engine, so I had the coolant drained anyway. You could easily plug the two coolant lines going to the turbo though. Should not be an issue. Sorry no part number for the crush washers. I just went to the dealer and looked at them on a diagram and got them that way.

Got my downpipe installed, no porting today. If I am wrong here I would love to know, but I don't see a lot of room for porting the wastegate. There is probably a few mm max.

For this thread I will add my advice for the what did you do thread.

Drop the whole turbo and manifold, it is way easier than trying to work under the car.

I took a vid of the wastegate so you all could see how much material there is to port, I will have to upload it to youtube and put a link here. My plan if I get over boost is to purchase a stock turbo have it ported and then swap them out. I can't afford the down time on the car now.

I will post some logs tomorrow hopefully.

Wastegate video: https://youtu.be/Bzc21IqopH0

Edited by FLlegacy

Got my downpipe installed, no porting today. If I am wrong here I would love to know, but I don't see a lot of room for porting the wastegate. There is probably a few mm max.

Drop the whole turbo and manifold, it is way easier than trying to work under the car.

I took a vid of the wastegate so you all could see how much material there is to port, I will have to upload it to youtube and put a link here. My plan if I get over boost is to purchase a stock turbo have it ported and then swap them out. I can afford the down time on the car now.

I will post some logs tomorrow hopefully.

Just go outside and boost =)

I took a vid of the wastegate so you all could see how much material there is to port, I will have to upload it to youtube and put a link here. My plan if I get over boost is to purchase a stock turbo have it ported and then swap them out. I can't afford the down time on the car now.

Since porting has been very successful by others (fahr_side is a great resource) I'd say there is good reason to do it despite how it looks. Also, from what I recall a big portion of the porting actually occurs on the other side, not the opening...smoothing out that whole "tunnel" for lack of the technical term, that leads to the opening.

A couple mm can make a big difference. On my truck, I put an aftermarket turbo. At 2/3 throttle is was hitting 18psi even though it had a 12psi actuator. I call the manufacturer think they sent me a 18psi actuator (the other option) and they asked me if i ported the wastegate. Somewhere it got lost between them and the turbo shop that I was suppose port the wastegate. I opened it up from ~27mm to 31mm and it made all the difference in the world.