LegacyGT.com

Nameless Downpipe: Official 5th Gen GT Install Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The car will not be worked on til late October due to everyone being busy. The tuner from English racing was out of town the same time I was and they couldn't get the software to work correctly. Jason gave me a cable to be able to log when they find the correct whatever they needed to do logs. So technically I can do it by myself while we wait, I would just need one of our tuners.....McDowell tuning I am looking at you! So we as a small community could get this figured out! Let m know what I need to download and what steps need to be done. Also they said they downpipe needs to be centered while installing, basically you have to take off a boot or something so that while installing you can see and feel where the wastegate is and if it's not centered or hitting that you need to clock it to a certain degree until it doesn't hit. So don't quote me as they said a bunch of other things that I will get Jason or John to send me and I will post that here ASAP! Any questions just ask and I will try to get a good response because what they were saying made a shitload of sense, I just wish I would have recorded what they said lol. If this message seems all over the place is because I have 2 hangry(hungry/angry) children yelling at me sorry....

Another edit, this would only show what my set up is doing and we would test the other one later, also I talked to the tuner, and he said boost creep was never an issue when dyno tuning the car.

I am trying my best to get this done and I just wish I was smarter at this type of problem so I could relay what they said more clear for you guys

Edited by Fischbach31

Welp, my install has been put on hold, yet again. Turns out the motor's gonna be coming out. Confirmed with a good buddy of mine what constant random P0301 code, and other idle issues point to :( Guess I'm lined up to get some headwork done. With only 112k on the car, you could say I'm pretty irritated, especially since I haven't ever even driven it hard.

Welp, my install has been put on hold, yet again. Turns out the motor's gonna be coming out. Confirmed with a good buddy of mine what constant random P0301 code, and other idle issues point to :( Guess I'm lined up to get some headwork done. With only 112k on the car, you could say I'm pretty irritated, especially since I haven't ever even driven it hard.

Maybe port your wastegate while you have the turbo off

Are you the original owner?

No, 3rd owner. I've had it for almost two years now. Guy that had it before me had an AP and a OTS Stage 1 tune on it but then put it back to stock before I bought it. Car has always had a random hard miss when I got on it in 3-5th. I'm assuming this is probably related.

Maybe port your wastegate while you have the turbo off

That's the plan. :)

Very sorry to hear about that Zakster. I can honestly say that I feel your pain. What is your plan for the engine? Are you having a shop remove it or doing the work yourself? Very curious to see what went wrong in there?

I'll be pulling it myself, I've done/helped on a few rebuilds, now but this will be the first 5th Gen. Anyone know if there's a good walkthrough on the pull out there? Will be going to get a compression test done soon though to confirm without a doubt.

If you have done other ej25 this will be pretty similar, just the power train mounts and header are different. I would drop the turbo from underneath before pulling the motor, that will give more wiggle room in the front.

Yep, done a ej251, 252, and 255(twice) and now this. Thanks for the tip!

If you're pulling the motor try and scrounge up some used GRB / GVF exhaust cams and valve springs. Don't miss this chance to upgrade those.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Definitely drop the exhaust manifold first. If you do not the turbo will hit the front crossmember when you are trying to pull it.

Appreciate the info!

If you're pulling the motor try and scrounge up some used GRB / GVF exhaust cams and valve springs. Don't miss this chance to upgrade those.

What are those? And of course, what's the benefit?