LegacyGT.com

Nameless Downpipe: Official 5th Gen GT Install Thread

The worst spot is the sharp edge between the throat transition and the wastegate 'hole'. Stick your finger through past the flapper and into the hole, feel in the direction of the flange. Note how sharp that edge is. Remember the gas is moving at high speed and is then supposed to make this roughly 90* turn around this knife edge and pass out the wastegate. Horrible.

Opening out the passage that feeds the flapper port is nice but it's more important to round that corner off as much as you can. I was able to remove much more meat approaching from the throat side than from the outside. Basically you can hack away as much as you can from that edge before the chuck of the die grinder gets in the way. Don't be shy.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I definitely saw the throat of the port and how much it stuck out. So basically just smooth the throat and make the port as straight as possible? I was worried about thinning the flapper seat to much, so if I just round it out that should suffice? Gonna load the 93 map and go for a drive shortly. Do a couple logs and then again when it warms up later today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Logged some short pulls, and I think I have some boost leak somewhere, probably the charge pipe as soon as it cools down I will check it out. Here are a few logs, personally my limited amateur experience tells me nothing is amiss besides the low boost...datalog 5 was from the lwg map 6 is from the normal wg map. Thanks to all of you for your comments and help!

datalog6.csv

datalog5.csv

I think the cracking had more to do with the metal casting being used on the housings, afaik it hasn't been an issue recently...yet, lol.

And thanks to perscitus posting the boost leak test I found my charge pipe intlet is leaking, so waiting on the car to cool then gonna take that off and reseal it. Anyone had any luck going without a gasket on that?

Edited by FLlegacy

Waiting to hear back from Tuning Aliance on a etune. So far I am having an underboost issue running the ots map, my thought is the ots tune is set for a turbo-back and my stock y pipe and axlebacks are really restrictive or I got a turbo with a relatively good flowing wastegate.

I checked for leaks again, found nothing worth noting, so I removed the racerX cp and resintalled the stocker with stock bpv. Same result with seemingly smoother boost control. While working on it I checked for shaft play in the turbo and it was all tight and smooth just need more boooost!

I definitely saw the throat of the port and how much it stuck out. So basically just smooth the throat and make the port as straight as possible? I was worried about thinning the flapper seat to much, so if I just round it out that should suffice?

You can remove as much metal from the throat as you can get to. The limit will be in what you can hit with a die grinder before the chuck crashes the housing.

Do not narrow the seat for the flapper. It makes no difference and because the flapper itself can float a little in position you just encourage leaks.

So by porting, does it make our wastegate more prone to cracking that people see with the other turbos?

No, not at all. We have turbos I ported in hard use for 3~4 years now with no issues. Cracking was an issue with VF-39 and VF-43 units in particular, not with IHI turbos in general.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Well I did a 3rd gear pull on my way to class and was nicely surprised to hit a steady rising boost to 15.55 psi then tapering off. I am gonna go through the log and see what I see. On the way home I did a short 4th gear pull and wholly moly felt like the old 3rd gear pulls, I am consistently getting to around 14 psi.

Changes I made today: put stock charge pipe and bpv back on, checked for leaks again, and replaced the hoses coming off the bcs to the wastegate actuator.

I am really tempted to say the hose may have been bad, but I am not keen on putting the turbosmart bpv back on just yet. Is it possible the fluctuation I was seeing in boost was caused by the Turbosmart valve being cycled by the tune and it just flows so much better than stock? Idk...

Here is the log of the 3rd gear pull if anyone cares to check it out.

datalog4cutdown.csv

Well I did a 3rd gear pull on my way to class and was nicely surprised to hit a steady rising boost to 15.55 psi then tapering off. I am gonna go through the log and see what I see. On the way home I did a short 4th gear pull and wholly moly felt like the old 3rd gear pulls, I am consistently getting to around 14 psi.

Changes I made today: put stock charge pipe and bpv back on, checked for leaks again, and replaced the hoses coming off the bcs to the wastegate actuator.

I am really tempted to say the hose may have been bad, but I am not keen on putting the turbosmart bpv back on just yet. Is it possible the fluctuation I was seeing in boost was caused by the Turbosmart valve being cycled by the tune and it just flows so much better than stock? Idk...

Here is the log of the 3rd gear pull if anyone cares to check it out.

And those pulls are on the stage 2 OTS map? Because the stage 1 91 octane maps have a target boost of 16 psi.

Damn, there really just aren't any good photos out there and the few videos on the topic are so awful they made me scream.

Here's a shot of the inside of an Evo 16G housing some kind Evo person chopped up in the name of science.

TMG3-3.jpg.a45c8af1717bbc1b7166291f8957468f.jpg

You can probably guess that the wastegate port is made by sticking a core through the wall of the housing to form a hole there when it's cast. It's basically a straight hole at roughly 90* to the flow of gas through the throat on it's way to the turbine.

Here's a really rough (sorry but no time to break out better tools) sketch of how that looks in cross-section.

wg_porting_2.jpg.b17c1bb473f8bab0148936e93d8384f1.jpg

Note the very sharp edge the gas must crab around. Remember that gas has inertia and although nature abhors a vacuum the gas cannot possibly stick to the wall while making that turn at the speed it's going. Instead, it detaches, like the air across the top of a wing in stall, and this causes turbulence and poor flow rate.

Here's an equally rough sketch of how this mess can be made better with porting.

wg_porting_3.jpg.501a5a235457a369f4b654bec49864e1.jpg

Remove as much metal as you can from the sharp up-stream edge before the chuck of the die grinder crashes into the port opening from the outside. Grind away at the housing up-stream of the port to blend that as well as you can. Here's the first photo again with a red line on it showing about how far back you want to blend that up-stream.

wg_porting_1.jpg.54b8bbd019f9f748d5a74d9037361a40.jpg

Nothing needs to be mirror polished and there are reasons doing so doesn't even help things. Do not do any more than barely clean up the remaining port window. Do not open up the port window as it narrows the area the wastegate flapper needs to seal properly.

The sharp edge on the downstream side of the port actually helps direct more gas into the port. Rounding this off would actually help gas bypass the wastegate and head into the turbine, which is not what we want, so leave it alone.

And those pulls are on the stage 2 OTS map? Because the stage 1 91 octane maps have a target boost of 16 psi.

Yes stage 2 ots normal wastegate. And the log shows where the wastegate dc changes as the boost starts tapering.

Edit-just got back with Tuning Alliance gonna see how this goes!

Edited by FLlegacy

No reply from Nameless..... I don't think it's gonna happen gents.....

So is that the end of the road? I've been holding off on contacting them hoping there was gonna be some resolution. We put so much money in their pockets and most of us just have expensive paperweights sitting in our garages, not to mention we're never gonna be able to resell them since anyone on the forums who has read this wouldn't touch this DP with a ten foot pole. Are we completely boned or is there anything else we could try to do to sort this out?

So no OB so far FLl?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

None whatsoever, from what I can tell from my logs the boost is being controlled pretty well. Definitely not creeping, I did a short 4th gear pull last night on I4 and the boost topped out around 14 psi and then tapered off.

Fwiw, I am on the stock intermediate pipe and axleback with about 70k miles on my car and the down pipe has made a big difference in the upper rpm range. It pulls harder than before in 3rd and 4th at lower boost levels. So when I get the tune going I am sure I will be suffering through frequent gas station stops, lol.

Edited by FLlegacy

So is that the end of the road? I've been holding off on contacting them hoping there was gonna be some resolution. We put so much money in their pockets and most of us just have expensive paperweights sitting in our garages, not to mention we're never gonna be able to resell them since anyone on the forums who has read this wouldn't touch this DP with a ten foot pole. Are we completely boned or is there anything else we could try to do to sort this out?

You can either add a restriction in the exhaust or induce more scavenging from the wastegate pipe. Which , again I agree isn't acceptable, but it's better than kicking rocks.

Gteaser not sure if you mean me, but yes stock bcs and the restrictor pill is in place. And yes there is one you can feel it in the line coming off the compressor housing.

You can either add a restriction in the exhaust or induce more scavenging from the wastegate pipe. Which , again I agree isn't acceptable, but it's better than kicking rocks.

Gteaser not sure if you mean me, but yes stock bcs and the restrictor pill is in place. And yes there is one you can feel it in the line coming off the compressor housing.

You still have the stock BPV too, right? Because the OEM is probably leaking boost anyway.