LegacyGT.com

KILLER deal on Lower control arms

• Moderators
Maybe I didn't clarify enough. I am looking for a good deal on lower control arms considering a bunch of individuals picked up some Mevotechs on Ebay and other sources for way the hell under retail. Many of you have extras. I would like to purchase a pair of those extras. I will just install the Whiteline bushings on my stock arms if I have to pay over $100 an arm. Thank you in advance. By the way, does anyone know of a cheap replacement axle for an 05 LGT that actually works and doesn't cause vibration? Can't seem to find a clear answer anywhere. Thanks again.

Good luck in your search for cheap, but well made, parts. :lol:

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Maybe I didn't clarify enough. I am looking for a killer deal on lower control arms considering a bunch of individuals picked up some Mevotechs on Ebay and other sources for way the hell under retail. Many of you have extras. I would like to purchase a pair of those extras. I will just install the Whiteline bushings on my stock arms if I have to pay over $100 an arm. Thank you in advance. By the way, does anyone know of a cheap replacement axle for an 05 LGT that actually works and doesn't cause vibration? Can't seem to find a clear answer anywhere. Thanks again.

there's a BIG thread on axles, so wrong place for that, but for the best chances, replace your axles with ~$300 OEM is your best bet. second best is to just reboot if you can, and if you can't, rebuild. worst case you get autozone cardone replacements, but make sure they're the right cup shape and other parts, and i've found there's a 60% chance you'll get the wrong parts.

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

Maybe I didn't clarify enough. I am looking for a killer deal on lower control arms considering a bunch of individuals picked up some Mevotechs on Ebay and other sources for way the hell under retail. Many of you have extras. I would like to purchase a pair of those extras. I will just install the Whiteline bushings on my stock arms if I have to pay over $100 an arm. Thank you in advance. By the way, does anyone know of a cheap replacement axle for an 05 LGT that actually works and doesn't cause vibration? Can't seem to find a clear answer anywhere. Thanks again.

It's one of those you snooze you loose deals unfortunately. I doubt we'll see a deal like that in a long time (price errors that get honored are very rare).

As for axles, FWIW I've been running an Empire axle on my passenger side for 25k miles without issues so far.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Most purchases were not honored. Those that did ether installed them, or are going to install them soon.

$100 an arm with new solid bushings and ball joints is still a killer deal. IIRC arms are $350+ each from a dealer.

I don't mean to sound like a cheap snob. I've just put quite a bit into this car already and am frankly frustrated with Subaru's quality. Aside from the transmission my 92 SVX is far and away more reliable. A friend just sold his 95 Imprezza wagon. It had 374,000 miles, No engine or tranny work ever performed on it and 3 of his axles were original and still perfect. Things like bushings splitting just shows a turn from "quality" to "lets make this crap for as cheap as we can." Pisses me off. Thank you for that part number CovertRussian. Found then on Amazon for $63! Toodles.

I don't mean to sound like a cheap snob. I've just put quite a bit into this car already and am frankly frustrated with Subaru's quality. Aside from the transmission my 92 SVX is far and away more reliable. A friend just sold his 95 Imprezza wagon. It had 374,000 miles, No engine or tranny work ever performed on it and 3 of his axles were original and still perfect. Things like bushings splitting just shows a turn from "quality" to "lets make this crap for as cheap as we can." Pisses me off. Thank you for that part number CovertRussian. Found then on Amazon for $63! Toodles.

Sorry all I can say is wow :spin: I'm satisfied with my 10 year old quality.

I'm with you, these cars are some of the more unreliable cars out of Japan, but it's so hard to find a fun AWD luxury sedan that I'm willing to put up with them for that reason (mind you that might change if I need a new engine)

Older Subaru's got a lot of reliability rep because they were built much better, for 2005+ they really started cutting costs (paper head gaskets on 2.5i's, come on it's not like your new to building cars Subaru...).

The design of these control arms suck, why else would you need a new LCA bushing only 30k miles in? My 2004 FXT had 165k miles and the rear LCA bushings were still in great shape.

I saw the same axle on RockAuto for $48 plus S&H and minus 5% discount. So if you haven't purchased yet, check them out.

22 Ascent STOCK

I'm with you, these cars are some of the more unreliable cars out of Japan, but it's so hard to find a fun AWD luxury sedan that I'm willing to put up with them for that reason (mind you that might change if I need a new engine)

I do agree but for the enjoyment out of them they are totally worth it. The only comparison in my book is the B5 S4 Audi as the AWD luxury sedan/wagon that has the aftermarket support and enthusiast following that these cars do.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

IMO the exchange rate (dollar to yen) at the time of design/manufacturing has a LOT to do with the quality of parts/materials/cars we get over here.

In terms of reliability, Subaru has been going down hill since the SOHC EJ22. They still make great cars, though.

The design of these control arms suck, why else would you need a new LCA bushing only 30k miles in? My 2004 FXT had 165k miles and the rear LCA bushings were still in great shape.

Going to the BMW-style tennis-ball LCA bushing had pros and cons. I never had to replace the LCA bushings in my old WRX's either, but this car handles much better/more consistently over bumps and on the brakes. The newer LCA design puts more stress on the bushes, but the result is a better camber curve and more grip in most situations. At least that's how I understand it. If they were easier bushings to replace, it wouldn't be such a tough pill to swallow...

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Older Subaru's got a lot of reliability rep because they were built much better, for 2005+ they really started cutting costs (paper head gaskets on 2.5i's, come on it's not like your new to building cars Subaru...).

I saw the same axle on RockAuto for $48 plus S&H and minus 5% discount. So if you haven't purchased yet, check them out.

Thanks, but $63 was with shipping. everyone else wanted $10-30 to ship. These suckers do weigh 16 pounds.

In the long run I love the power my Legacy makes, and that I can fit my kids in the back comfortably. But I always had a thing for Hondas and Subarus. Subarus for their power and all wheel drive. And Hondas for their gas mileage, reliability, and low cost parts. If Honda made an AWD, 300 horsepower, turbo sedan, I would turn from Subaru and never look back.

And please don't tell me you can't have power and reliability. My 72 Monte Carlo would argue otherwise.:icon_twis

I have avoided Mitsubishi for the very reason Subaru is putting a bad taste in my mouth. Such a shame!:mad:

Rubber bushings going bad....been happening since the beginning of time. Be thankful if that's your complaint. I've seen just about everything go wrong on new cars that had under 30k. I'm talking transmissions, engines, water pumps, power steering pumps, ac compressors, etc. Where you live could play a part too. Every car on the road with this same design will need them at some point in its life.

Going to the BMW-style tennis-ball LCA bushing had pros and cons. I never had to replace the LCA bushings in my old WRX's either, but this car handles much better/more consistently over bumps and on the brakes. The newer LCA design puts more stress on the bushes, but the result is a better camber curve and more grip in most situations. At least that's how I understand it. If they were easier bushings to replace, it wouldn't be such a tough pill to swallow...

I was wondering why they switched to this design, that might explain it. But this kind of design has no up/down travel though and wouldn't it bind up a good bit with solid bushings?

Rubber bushings going bad....been happening since the beginning of time. Be thankful if that's your complaint. I've seen just about everything go wrong on new cars that had under 30k. I'm talking transmissions, engines, water pumps, power steering pumps, ac compressors, etc. Where you live could play a part too. Every car on the road with this same design will need them at some point in its life.

That's true, even for brand new Subaru's. Oil consumption like crazy, WRX's needing new blocks, etc. etc.

22 Ascent STOCK

Yeah my DD is damn near as reliable as the dead LGT it replaced.

3 axles

3 water pumps

3 coil packs

3 sets of wheels

1 lca

1 thermostat

1 brake booster pump

1 6mt trans

1 exterior trunk button

1 negative battery cable

I'm sure I forgot 3 more items.

Isn't the Cruze a result of GM's unholy union with the Korean manufacturers? I remember an old neighbor and his Aveo. Motor needed replacement before his second oil change. Apparently the disposable car/Yugo concept is still in full bloom.

LOL yeah the DD not the Legacy. Some parts are marked Daewoo if you dig deep enough. Quickest part to identify w/o taking car apart is the rear struts. Some parts are also marked Republic of Germany and those usually run a hefty price. T20 screw to hold on airdam is $30 USD

Cruze was developed and released overseas while the Cobalts were still being made. Not gonna bore you with what Wiki can already describe. You got Chevy/Holden Cruze and Daewoo Lacetti.

One of these days I'll get around to installing the LCA's and springs. Not looking forward to it since everything is rusted on there real good.

Edited by Merc6

$30 for a screw? That would be too much for even the classier looking women around here. Back when I was a machinist I worked for a GM, Chrysler, and Ford supplier. The GM big wigs were very anal about consistencies and our ISO reporting procedures. They obviously don't treat all their suppliers the same way. Hell, Ford didn't care about anything and I'm pretty sure Chrysler had us making parts for concept cars that were never produced. I doubt they were even aware of what they paid us to do. Good luck with your "Domestic!" Hopefully it works itself out.

$30 for a screw? That would be too much for even the classier looking women around here. Back when I was a machinist I worked for a GM, Chrysler, and Ford supplier. The GM big wigs were very anal about consistencies and our ISO reporting procedures. They obviously don't treat all their suppliers the same way. Hell, Ford didn't care about anything and I'm pretty sure Chrysler had us making parts for concept cars that were never produced. I doubt they were even aware of what they paid us to do. Good luck with your "Domestic!" Hopefully it works itself out.

Those axles were american made and recalled a few times. The most common part to fail for us is the water pumps.

Those axles were american made and recalled a few times. The most common part to fail for us is the water pumps.

Something as simple as a water pump? Must be some kind of design flaw. Same with the axles. American made isn't always a promise of quality, unfortunately.

I've seen it a few times myself :lol: The t-stat housings are also prone to cracking. GM has had water pump issues dating back to the late 90s in the 3.1,3.4 and 3.8 engines. They also had major issues with manifold gaskets on those motors too. I could go on and on and on :rolleyes: I'd have to be paid really well before I'd consider driving an "American" car.