LegacyGT.com

Time for a new short block

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes I had the headers off for awhile my impact wrench is not taking it off it's rated at 500ft.lbs I'm going to have to get another 1/2" ratchet as the 3/8" snapped at the part that goes to the socket. If it won't come off using a 4ft breaker bar I'll just buy a new section from the dealer

If your going to buy a new section, take this one off and take it to a repair shop near you, any decent shop or a machine shop can remove it for a lot less then a new piece.

The machine shop I use can do just about anything. Pay them cash, its cheap.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I can't lift the car high enough to get a breaker bar to loosen it assuming it's left to loosen

There is another way to get to it, where you can get leverage. If you remove the passenger side front wheel, there is an access port for the 02 sensor, covered by a plastic shield. Remove that shield. Now, you can use a long 3/8 extension and a long breaker bar with one of the special 02 wrenches as shown below. You can stand beside the car and apply a lot of torque on the sensor this way.

o2-wrench-01.thumb.jpg.3b90338a7b98b6f4bfcf0d94bab65f21.jpg

I have a oxygen sensor socket just like that it's not a 22 mm bolt like I stated before it's 19mm
Are you going in through the wheel well? That gives much better leverage and more working room. You can stand beside the car and put your weight on a breaker bar instead of being underneath the car where you don't have a lot of leverage.

Are you going in through the wheel well? That gives much better leverage and more working room. You can stand beside the car and put your weight on a breaker bar instead of being underneath the car where you don't have a lot of leverage.

it's left to unloosen it right? so I've been pulling on the bar and yes I removed the front tire.. I just don't have time to devote to trying to get it removed

Got the car running and idle it's being forced in OL because of no front or rear o2 sensor the A/F ratio at idle ranges from 14.7 to 15.3 but I think the car still tries to go CL and it will lean out to 20 A/F enough it can stumble.. hoping I can get that bolt off Friday it looks like most ratchets can only take around 230 Ft.lbs before failing.

I wonder if the heat from the headers would help as well. I know in the other thread some concerns about my oil pressure..

1. I'm reading off the rear gallery plug so it's known pressures are lower in that area..

2. I'm on 5W-30 Oil normally I would be running 5-40W when that time comes.

3. Oil pressure raises up pretty rapid on the slightest of the throttle I'm running the oil pump that's on the dual AVCS STi

I feel good enough now I can start the tune I'd know more when I can get the front o2 sensor in and see what the A/F corrections and learning show up as

IMO, your going to have to hit the end/head of the breaker hit with a 3 or 5lbs hammer while pushing the bar in the off direction, that makes a home made impact wrench. It may take two people to get that bolt out.

A hot manifold may help.

Is the head of the bolt in good shape still ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

A really long cheater pipe on a breaker bar should get it out. Slow and steady, overwhelming torque. Heating the area right around the bung may help. The problem is usually the sensor threads have gotten galled and jammed up.

IMO, your going to have to hit the end/head of the breaker hit with a 3 or 5lbs hammer while pushing the bar in the off direction, that makes a home made impact wrench. It may take two people to get that bolt out.

A hot manifold may help.

Is the head of the bolt in good shape still ?

The other day when i posted I was trying to get it off I have a 3lb hammer it never moved.. and yes the head of the bolt is still good shockingly I was thinking about upgrading to a Milwaukee Fuel impact with 600 ft.lbs I really haven't been to home depot in awhile but the last time when I got my breaker bar from the store I think the largest I saw was 19" which is what I have I know I saw on Amazon a 30" breaker bar I wish I was able to put the bar so I would be able to push down and not have to pull up.

A really long cheater pipe on a breaker bar should get it out. Slow and steady, overwhelming torque. Heating the area right around the bung may help. The problem is usually the sensor threads have gotten galled and jammed up.

I do have a thread chaser for it if that's the case.. but this bolt has been a pain.. it's got to the point where I was looking up torque multipliers... Not sure if Home depot shows everything online what they have in the store I don't want to pay the extra to have prime on Saturday for the ratchet or breaker bar.

I was asking on the garage journal and they suggested a 3/4" ratchet

LOL I need something like this

http://www.knightool.com/store/p39/3%2F4%22_Drive_1000mm_Heavy_Duty_Extendable_Ratchet_.html

Not sure on your angles, but if you have it close to the ground and need to lift up, put a jack under it and start lifting. I've had to break a bolt loose that way before, just be careful with the tension and where you put fingers, hands, and face... Mine actually lifted the car a little bit before it gave way finally.

Dose a rental center near you have any power tools you can rent instead of buying something you'll only use once ?

May be a auto parts store has the tools you can rent...?

Just thinking out loud here, I assume the lower engine is still off. how difficult is it to unbolt that piece of header from the up pipe and crossover pipe on the front ? You may have to lift the engine to get the header off the head ?

Yea may be that's to much work...almost thinking of offering a hand if you need this weekend. You should be a little over an hour drive away.

Archived