LegacyGT.com

Time for a new short block

I’m trying to figure out how to remove the rear end links.. I think the nit is 14mm but it’s almost about to round off I think I have a tool for rounded nuts but I have to check for that size.

I could cut it but not sure if I can fit my 4 1/2 cut off wheel in that area.

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As the wheel wears down it will fit in there, I used old wheels to cut mine out.

Little right angle air tool.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I was thinking today my control arms with them being worn I wonder if that makes the ride harsh when hitting things on the road like a metal plate? It's just very bad at the moment..

Same goes for the rear but I was also thinking I don't think a end link is going to cure that and I was wondering if the trailing arm bushing is the reason for the swaying motion when hitting bumps in the road? I saw a post here about a person burned out the bushing and all?

Do the rear sway bar end links first, much cheaper.

I think it was "covertrussian" who showed that removal of the bushings.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Do the rear sway bar end links first, much cheaper.

I think it was "covertrussian" who showed that removal of the bushings.

I'm sure you know I already have the rear end links? I already installed the new bushings it's just the end links.. I still think it's the trailing arm bushings which would be the bulk of the swaying feeling on road depressions.

Now that I replaced my bushings in the front I get the clunking sound from the front left if the left side of the car hits a raised part of the road. Thinking about doing the front tomorrow.

Well I installed the front end links last night I still have the sway feeling when hitting a bump at speed.. it's not as bad as before but I still feel it.

What other things could it be with the side to side motion when hitting a pothole?

Have you looked at the bushings for the control arms ? are they visually in good or bad shape ?

When was the last time you had the car aligned ? A repair shop with a rack may tell you what's wrong so you can fix it or have them fix it.

Have you looked at the bushings for the control arms ? are they visually in good or bad shape ?

When was the last time you had the car aligned ? A repair shop with a rack may tell you what's wrong so you can fix it or have them fix it.

All that is worn I'm thinking next week doing the inner and outer tie rods new control arms and new lower ball joints for the front.

In stead of just throwing money at it, unless you plan to keep the car for a long time and want to refresh those parts anyway's ...

That's all bolt on but will need the alignment afterwards.

Do you have a cool place to work on the car ? Damn its hot and humid now...all week long.

In stead of just throwing money at it, unless you plan to keep the car for a long time and want to refresh those parts anyway's ...

That's all bolt on but will need the alignment afterwards.

Do you have a cool place to work on the car ? Damn its hot and humid now...all week long.

Yeah I had torn bushings and just went full aluminum lower control arms. The tie rods are also next on the list. I'm not as far along as you are in the build so I been taking it slow any buying parts slow.

Yeah I had torn bushings and just went full aluminum lower control arms. The tie rods are also next on the list. I'm not as far along as you are in the build so I been taking it slow any buying parts slow.

I'm slowing down a bit but still need to get this done before my wife has her baby in December lol

I'm slowing down a bit but still need to get this done before my wife has her baby in December lol

Yea I see the reason for the big push before...the big push. Kids is why my car is still where it is. Wasn't for them I could have been 4 blown engines by now.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in traffic going to the Lincoln tunnel and I noticed my oil pressure was up where it should normally be.. short back story I ran the first 13k miles on the rebuilt motor with 5w-30 and after that I switched to 10w-40 since I was unable to find any gallon 5w-40 rotella bottles first I noticed my idle and driving pressure was a bit better.. normally it would be right around 12-10 psi at idle..

Anyways I noticed while stopped in traffic it was showing me at 14 psi so I'm like wth.. I think my dash cam caught me saying that..at like 4k I'm just around 70 psi where before it was a bit lower.. I can still tell when the AVCS actives it seems to be a bit more active at a higher load at a lower rpm.

I'm not sure what's up with the more normal readings now.

• 1 month later...

About 3k away from hitting 20,000 :cool:

I have got to do these bushings for the rear trailing arms the amount of side movement when hitting potholes or on the road at highway speeds while taking a slight turn and hitting a pot hole *that* has to be the worst feeling those bushings are shot.. but what about the one bushing that I assume would adjust the camber for the rear wheel I don't see a whiteline bushing replacement for that?

Nevertheless the rear trailing arm bushing is that one for getting stuck? I would just cut it and replace the bolt if I have to.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here is from today I had to put on the spare

*^%# why did I take a close up... the outer part looks just like the inside (showing tire cords but not as bad as the inner.

the Springs are Tech S-tech.

IMG_4005.thumb.JPG.065ea148d1f120d8ff8bd159bf5acfa8.JPG

What tire pressures are you running? If both sides are like that you need to increase the pressure, but check it first.

Jack up the rear end (both wheels), get under the car. Take a giant screw driver, and start wedging it between all the arms and other body parts and see if you can easily move them out of place, this will see if your bushings have a lot of displacement (need replacement). Alternative is take all the arms off, but that's much harder to do :).

First I would like to hear the tire pressures though :).

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

What tire pressures are you running? If both sides are like that you need to increase the pressure, but check it first.

Jack up the rear end (both wheels), get under the car. Take a giant screw driver, and start wedging it between all the arms and other body parts and see if you can easily move them out of place, this will see if your bushings have a lot of displacement (need replacement). Alternative is take all the arms off, but that's much harder to do :).

First I would like to hear the tire pressures though :).

32 in both rears

That's not that low, though I think I did see low pressure wear on my 225/45/17 tires when I kept it in low 30's too.

Anyway, go check all your bushings with the method I described, if they look shot start replacing with poly (my build thread has steps for them all right now, eventually I'll post up how to threads). After that get an alignment & print out.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

I have the whiteline bushings sitting in my living room I was just wondering if something else is connected to that.

I think whiteline only shows adjustable camber bushings for the rear and I don't think anything else.

screw it I think I'm going to replace the trailing arm with new as well as the control arms in the rear.

I'm sure the rear toe bolt will be rusted so I might as well order those as well.

Archived