LegacyGT.com

Time for a new short block

I'm guessing there is enough space to slip some wire in that gap.

Let me know when its running may be I can meet you half way.

Ok I will let you know also since my refrigerant went out I'm going to replace the o-rings and the valve cores only thing is I need another vacuum pump since all that stuff was in storage. If it's like all my other Subaru's 2 cans should do around 24 oz.

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't wait to long to fill the AC. The AC may cycle on when you turn on the defroster. You don't want it running on empty...

Hey, isn't there a song with that name.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I wouldn't wait to long to fill the AC. The AC may cycle on when you turn on the defroster. You don't want it running on empty...

Hey, isn't there a song with that name.

It wont turn on the AC system has a pressure switch in the older models it was on the dyer assembly right now I'm trying to look in the FSM to see how much R134 it takes I'm going to assume 22-26 oz

Grabbed my spare O2 sensor from the shed. It's still in the box it came in. It is gray not yellow, its a rear because it doesn't have the big shield like the front one has.

ARBS960916 is the number on the box. Made in Taiwan.

4 wire, gray plug. Let me know if you want it. I see they are pretty cheap on the web now.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I'll probably use the sensor, I just noticed I need to do the resistor mod for the EGT sensor I'm shocked the car did not throw a code for it not being connected unless it needs a few drive cycles.

Looks like the AC system holds 430g which is 15 oz

Ran the car a bit longer so the temp started to go up I guess it's normal for the uppipe area to smoke?

Still trying to get the bolt off for the header to stick the oxygen sensor it broke one of my sockets so far

Lets talk more about which O2 sensor your having problems with.

"Still trying to get the bolt off for the header to stick the oxygen sensor"

what bolt ? which sensor ?

I'm talking about where the front (first) oxygen sensor goes.. don't you guys have the same headers? You can't miss it it's not far from where the header connectors to the uppipe.

It's 19mm and I used my impact wrench on it and it had no effect.

This guy had the same issue

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/oxygen-sensor-difficulty-removing-93000.html

I can't lift the car high enough to get a breaker bar to loosen it assuming it's left to loosen

Gotta heat the bung. If you know someone with an oxy/ acetylene setup, use the brazing tip.

That's the only way I've ever been successful at removing seized O2 sensors. Quick blast around the outer edge of the bung and it will back out.

So your are talking about the front O2 sensor. There was talk of a wide band earlier...

you can take it to a local repair shop and they'll heat it and get it out.

After they install your new one, when you get the car back, remove it, put anti-seize on the threads and reinstall it.

Have you got a base map for the new injectors ? I agree with rhino, you don't want to wash the oil off the cylinders.

So your are talking about the front O2 sensor. There was talk of a wide band earlier...

you can take it to a local repair shop and they'll heat it and get it out.

After they install your new one, when you get the car back, remove it, put anti-seize on the threads and reinstall it.

Have you got a base map for the new injectors ? I agree with rhino, you don't want to wash the oil off the cylinders.

I'm sure you remember a few pages back I was telling you the last owner installed the FRONT o2 sensor where the wideband should go now that I have the wideband in that spot I can't put the FRONT o2 sensor in because the bung bolt is stuck..

No I don't have a base map yet I'm trying to get out to the car within a hour or 2 to get the data off the ECU.

Propane will probably do it but the tip of the torch would be my concern in that, the idea of concentrating the heat on the bung itself will be a challenge. Keep a close watch on how the heat "sprays" onto the surrounding areas.

Ultimately the goal is to get the bung to expand. If you're comfortable with that then you should be just fine.

For anti seize, use copper based since it's for high temp. The graphite based will be fine as well but won't hold up to the EGT's for long.

Yeah I'm probably going to switch when this bottle runs out.. plus I need to get a new torch the one I have has a button to press to strike however it no longer works plus I can't use it for Mapp gas.

The best was kroil with propane when I had my '95 Legacy never ran into a stuck bolt I could not get off. PBlaster is not the same... I should order some Kroil this week.

Give Liquid Wrench Penetrating Oil a consideration.

I recently completed a rusty hardware removal job on an old 454 boat engine and, after giving up on PB Blaster, was surprised at how well the penetrating oil worked.

Give Liquid Wrench Penetrating Oil a consideration.

I recently completed a rusty hardware removal job on an old 454 boat engine and, after giving up on PB Blaster, was surprised at how well the penetrating oil worked.

I had some of that but I have no clue where the can went. I can't wait until my car is cleaned out I'd never had it look this messy trunk or back seat :spin:

^ another way it to use a larger box end and slide it over the other wrench instead of sticking the open end in there.

Oh I think I just figured this out.

You are trying to remove a bolt that has a 19mm hex head on it. This bolt was used to plug the bung where the front O2 Sensor goes.

Not to bust stones... but you had the manifold off the engine for how long....

A piece of 1" or 1 1/4" water pipe 3ft long works well too...at breaking things...LOL I keep a piece by my air compressor and in the back of the car, as well as hiding places here at work...

Archived