LegacyGT.com

Time for a new short block

I'm going to keep the header on the car going to do the AC this weekend Saturday or Sunday I changed the oil again I cut the filter open a few little sparkles definitely not like before. Motor still sounds happy vac is still around -20 to 23 InHg at idle.

One thing that concerns me is the steering of the car is off but the wheel is not locked yet and you turn it it makes a pop sound and you feel it in the wheel.. I don't know if that's something in the rack as it doesn't happen when the car is running.

Btw those no spill coolant funnels are the best!

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Backpack is 26 lbs I'm shocked I was able to fit the vacuum pump plus a 1000w inverter and the AC manifold gauges and two cans of r134a in my backpack lol I kept the 3/4" breaker bar in the box it's like a good 6lbs or so looks like a weapon

Well I got a leak in the AC system I'm sure it's from the hose as it was twisted over for months I could not pull full vacuum on the system. Also no luck with the oxygen sensor bolt.. so now it's just get stainless steel headers.. used headers or I don't know.. I'm sure as hell not paying $300 for that small section of pipe...

If your going to pull the exhaust manifold, just take it to a local machine shop or exhaust shop and have them get that bolt out. That can't cost $50 or so.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If that's the case I rather just drive the car over to have them remove it if they can remove it... I walked enough with the manifold and I'm not going that way again lol.

Looks like I need to order a new hose from the condenser to compressor looks like the refrigerant leaked out from the compressor twisted over for so many months

Yea, that hose is collateral damage...At least you know the problem.

Yeah not a huge huge deal at the moment.. will need it for winter however.. btw the heat works great.. car is driving me nuts how messy it is inside :spin:

Im going to have to have a bit of a learning period with this LWFW

Don't have horns right now but I think I knocked the plug when installing the intercooler piping on the passenger side hear the horns. i might just buy the subie mods wire harness instead of making my own, I have the horns on the bracket they just need to be mounted.

3D printed the bracket but I made it about 2x thicker just because I was thinking the air hitting the horns and flexing it.. pretty much at the limit of what the stock horn stud be mounted and still fit.

Got the new bolt kit for the AC tensioner and another new belt since I had to cut the old one.. hopefully my compressor is ok I don't have the bottom bracket on so the compressor tilted forward and caused the belt to jump off the groove and right on the clutch so it was turning the compressor.. I got a used high pressure AC hose.. the dealer was $100 the used one was $65.. not as good of a deal as I was hoping for... at this time of the year I would be using it more for defrost.

Got the new bolt kit for the AC tensioner and another new belt since I had to cut the old one.. hopefully my compressor is ok I don't have the bottom bracket on so the compressor tilted forward and caused the belt to jump off the groove and right on the clutch so it was turning the compressor.. I got a used high pressure AC hose.. the dealer was $100 the used one was $65.. not as good of a deal as I was hoping for... at this time of the year I would be using it more for defrost.
Glad to see her runnin!! Congrats on the build!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yeah so far it's good I haven't heard any piston slap at all i'm hoping to see how it sounds in 40F weather but so far it good. Sat or Sun I will be installing the AC hose I will probably need to bring my warmer to warm the R134 can.

I was going to get full snows for this car but I don't know.. how does this car handle with full winter tires?

Yeah so far it's good I haven't heard any piston slap at all i'm hoping to see how it sounds in 40F weather but so far it good. Sat or Sun I will be installing the AC hose I will probably need to bring my warmer to warm the R134 can.

I was going to get full snows for this car but I don't know.. how does this car handle with full winter tires?

On kumho escta ast mine drove fine so long as you didn't center high the damn thing. I'm sure winter tires is great on these but a bald set may as well have been a hellcat on z rated tires. Any kind of turn in the road or freeway it was sideways.

Depends on the tire. performance snows are fine. I hate my Nokian WRG3's. They under steer and don't give me any confidence in the dry.

Blizzacks work great.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

See the thing is I have to leave for work most times before the snow plow comes so sometimes I could have between 1-5 inches of snow and I never used a all season tire on a subaru before so I don't know how it handles on braking and turning

If you have a good all season you should be fine. My 05 was the first car I put snows on since the early 1980's. The 92 civic, (avatar) with Michelin MXV4's took my son and I all over VT ski racing for years. Never got stuck.

In 98 the first GT wagon got out of Pico after a race when it snowed 12" while we there. Drove right past 4x4's that were getting stuck.

The Conti' DWS is a pretty great all season and cheap too.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=TrueContact

With only 200 miles, you'll be fine with those this winter. Save your money.

Man I want to say last week.. and it makes me wonder if the last owner hooked up the vac lines right..

was crazy.. anyways what I noticed now that I think about it I never heard the EBCS operating.. after now that I'm venting back into the intake the correct way I finally heard the EBCS for the first time last weekend.. makes me wonder.

In Dec I will get the HKS silent Hi-power.. anyone know what the size of the Y-pipe? I hope it's smaller than what the ebay pipe this guy put on.

Ah crap the motor must of hit the condenser too hard I can't pull vacuum in the system I mean it will but not total full so it's another part to order.. looks like I should be able to get it out between my fmic and radiator

Archived