LegacyGT.com

Gas tank release doesn't work. New 2015

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mine can't open if it's above 5oF (but close easily) I need to prop the lever with my garage door remote then use my credit card to pry open the fuel door.

can't close without a bang below 4oF (but opens easily, pushing the fuel door towards its hinge when closing HELP A LOT!! no banging needed.

Got my appointment next tues for the fuel door replacement under warranty. tok the dealer a month to get the parts. Hopefully this is the end of it. this had been a really annoying fuel door.

any yes, completely agree with first year model getting bugs that needs to be ironed out.

my in-laws brand new mercedes E and M goes back to dealership for fixing almost every month for the first 6 months of ownership. Acura had the vent fin dislocated (i fixed that myself), Had an accord and it was perfect for 12 year. And then we have a 2015 forester, which showed no problems for a year, and still problem free til this day.

so an update to my situation; my gas door was fixed, although it now has 2 small dents in it. I also had my car in to fix a malfunctioning blind spot detection sensor, which this was the 3rd time my car was there for the same issue. I was told they had the necessary parts....which was true, however apparently they need a "special tool" to actually install the part(s), so I have to go back AGAIN. I think that will make my 7th trip to the dealer in roughly 7 months.

Went to Heuberger today while I was getting my 6k service done, and they checked it out. They were able to reproduce it first try, and knew about the TSB for it. They didn't have any in stock, but said the new one should be in by Monday. The service manager said it's only the second one he has seen it happen with, but wouldn't be surprised if more come in over time.

Got mine fixed yesterday. Sure enough two protruding dings on the door. It seems there is a right way and a wrong way to re attach the painted door to the assembly. Another member posted the same complaint.

The tech also managed to scratch the edges of the painted door in 3 separate places. Needless to say, I was furious and they are replacing the piece and getting it painted (assuming the new piece is unpainted?)

I hate having work done on my car. This is the second time (of three) this dealer's service center has scratched my car. First occasion was scratching my painted rims while doing wheel rotation. I have zero faith in any service center to accomplish work without damaging my vehicle. They simply do not have sufficient attention to detail.

^ cdc, I am with you. I believe it depends on the Dealer and Service Dept - you get good ones and bad ones. Then it also has to do with the fact that we drive Subarus and not MB, BMW, Rolls or any high end car. Those higher end shops take special care of the vehicles they are servicing because their owners expect/demand that. I think that's the reality unfortunately.

^ cdc, I am with you. I believe it depends on the Dealer and Service Dept - you get good ones and bad ones. Then it also has to do with the fact that we drive Subarus and not MB, BMW, Rolls or any high end car. Those higher end shops take special care of the vehicles they are servicing because their owners expect/demand that. I think that's the reality unfortunately.

Aye - at the same time though even with Subaru sales being way up - it's still not a we-don't-care-how-many-we-make-GM/Ford/Chrysler/Toyota etc vehicle. Granted..the downside being that the number of dealers/service centers is also much less so perhaps the work load isn't much different.

I did get a Subie expecting/hoping to get a bit more care than my wife's Chevy would get...perhaps that's being overly hopeful.

^ It's not fair, nor right and I am not saying it is nor to lay down and take it up the A**. I personally think that because it's an average car and an average manufacturer. I'd take it back to get replaced too!

Very impressed with the service at my dealer so far. This is my first Subaru and I've had it in for service twice so far. Once for its 6k oil change & tire rotation and once for the fuel door fix which was done perfectly. Both times I received a phone call and email the next day making sure I was happy with the work done. I think that's pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, we do not own BMW, MB, Audi etc.. As a result I understand why we do not get the same level of service. It is what it is. I will continue to push the service manager to get better. I will continue to ask for compensation for the inconvenience and of course insist they correct the problem. The more mistakes they make the more it will eat into their pocket.

I agree, we do not own BMW, MB, Audi etc.. As a result I understand why we do not get the same level of service. It is what it is. I will continue to push the service manager to get better. I will continue to ask for compensation for the inconvenience and of course insist they correct the problem. The more mistakes they make the more it will eat into their pocket.

Superb care by the premium luxury brands is often assumed - sometimes earned, sometimes not. From my experience, the worst Subaru dealer here in town is better than the only two Audi dealerships in the Twin Cities (same owner). I'll go to my grave remembering the lies and incompetence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nate, I agree it depends the Dealership on how they approach customer service. But I get the same quality of service I have received with my Germans. They always lay down plastic on my leather, paper mat the floor, wear plastic gloves and lay covers on the quarter panel when working around my engine. They have a very nice waiting area with Keurig coffee, etc., knowledgeable and polite employees always offer limousine service or a free loaner if needed. But the nicest customer service area is Fields Jeep you think you at a Starbucks except everything is complimentary... different coffees, bagel with cream cheese, danishes, snacks, ice cream, sandwiches, kids play with video game, music listening area etc.
Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Just to add my two cents on this, this issue isn't a small problem. You can't get gas to drive it!! The issue is Subaru trying to "fix" the issue as cheaply as possible. That's why it took me 4 times to get the whole assembly fixed. We tried the file down method, plunge replacement, and on and on...till finally replacing the whole gas door and fill assembly corrected the issue. Something as simple as getting gas shouldn't take multiple times to a dealer to get right, regardless of first year or 10th year. Just my opinion.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Thankfully my experience is the same as Rowlette when I have been in to Heuberger. They take extra care to make sure that our car is taken care of with every little detail, and of course they take great care of their customers as well with a lot of the comforts, including a free coffee bar (with a barista that will make anything that you may want!). You are even welcome to go into the work area and watch your car being worked on, have an excellent waiting area, and all the staff has been fantastic!

It's unfortunate that not every Subaru dealership is like this. There are going to be good and bad with any company out there. Thankfully I'm lucky to have one of the best that I can go to!

If Heuberger was close to me, then they'd be mine in a hot minute! Shortline is good, but I've heard Heuberger takes it to a whole other level. Also, a Forum Friend of mine was going to purchase his Limited 2.5 from my guy at Shortline for $2,025 off invoice, but they didn't have a black on black. He called Heuberger because they had the only one and they matched the price without question. That says something about Heuberger!

The Toronto dealer where I bought the 2015 is the same place where I bought the 1995 with the same owner and lots of the same service staff. In those 20 years they moved to a much bigger location and then expanded at that site, with upscale things added to the waiting and sales areas. I remember the original location was in a storefront on a local street and the service area was in the parking garage of a Mormon church far from the sales office. With the newer location and building, everything is more upscale and service is just as good but it is much more expensive relative to independents. They had been competitive in service charges but Subaru Canada expects the place to look like the BMW and Audi dealers nearby and someone has to pay for it. Of course, none of this applies to fixing the gas door - I detected some overconfidence when I brought it in the second time and real determination the fourth time.

Just to add my two cents on this, this issue isn't a small problem. You can't get gas to drive it!! The issue is Subaru trying to "fix" the issue as cheaply as possible. That's why it took me 4 times to get the whole assembly fixed. We tried the file down method, plunge replacement, and on and on...till finally replacing the whole gas door and fill assembly corrected the issue. Something as simple as getting gas shouldn't take multiple times to a dealer to get right, regardless of first year or 10th year. Just my opinion.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Actually ... I may disagree on this. Remember, this is a New Generation vehicle, and some problems cannot be anticipated. When I reported this to the service department in September 2014, when I first got my car they had no idea. As a matter of fact, I had one of the first 2015 Legacy's at the dealer and one of the first 3.6R's in the area which was ordered in July and delivered the last day of August.

Now, you need to go through troubleshooting and repairing ... a process that may or may not work over time, like adjusting, filing and replacing.

I believe that Subaru is doing an ok job with this, as it is a total annoyance, not a major safety factor. It's the educated consumer (us here) that sometimes knows more about things like this than the Service department. Sad, but true. If you have one vehicle that randomly comes in with a problem ... is it a real problem? ... or 'Operator Error'? You need to think this way.

Fortunately, if you ask NOW, there is a fix. If the Service Department is clueless, you can always point them to a TSB.

Archived