LegacyGT.com

Gas tank release doesn't work. New 2015

New 2015 Premium and the gas take release doesn't work.

Lithia dealership says its a factory problem and waiting on parts with no fix date. Sounds crazy to me and I'm suspicious it's this car only and they are not fixing it using parts from another car.

Anyone else seen this problem on a new 2015 Legacy?

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See Subaru TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) #09-60-15 - Fuel Filler Door Difficult to Open or Close:

Service Bulletin # 09-60-15

Bulletin Description: This bulletin provides a repair procedure to address a customer concern of the fuel filler door being difficult to open or close. The procedure involves removing approximately 1mm of material from the end of the plastic locking pin portion of the fuel filler door latch mechanism.

Information contained in any technical document found on the STIS web site should only be used as reference material for highly trained automotive technicians. Only automotive technicians have the training and the special tools/equipment to repair Subaru vehicles.

09-60-15

Find another dealer.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fixed-my-annoying-gas-cap-door-234766.html

for your general info....

I must be one of those..... Information contained in any technical document found on the STIS web site should only be used as reference material for highly trained automotive technicians. Only automotive technicians have the training and the special tools/equipment to repair Subaru vehicles.

LOL A 10 min fix.

The problem I think is that the filler door is mounted too far to the rear. It has always been hard to close; I solved it by giving it a firm tap with the heel of my hand. More recently I've learned to press on the back side (i.e. pushing it toward the front) which makes it much easier. It is after a plastic setup, so I don't want to break it.

But here's the thing: in zero F weather, the sucker won't open! That's really bad and could hazard someone's life. (You're out of gas and it's five below and you're at a self-serve convenience store.) I once freed it with my wife's hair dryer (and no, there was no water in there). More recently when the fuel is low, I release the filler door the day before I plan to gas up. I don't want to be standing there, running back & forth from the filler door to the driver door to keep releasing the thing. It's a major fault, though not sufficient for me to take it to the dealer on a special trip (he's twenty miles away).

I think filing the nubbin is a bad idea. What should happen is that the filler door gets shifted a millimeter forward.

Into the dealer today to get work done including warranty for the wind noise (parts ordered but no known delivery date) and fuel fill. They did not say anything about the parts for the fuel cap fix being back ordered so hopefully they'll fix it. Temporary fix is using a soft plastic packaging piece (1" square about 6" long) and folding it under the floor based filler lever to hold it open and then running around and pushing on the fuel door to get it to open.

Cracked the windshield and that is also back ordered to Feb 9th. Glass shop called it the electric windshield due to the EyeSight and deicer features on the Subaru.

The problem I think is that the filler door is mounted too far to the rear. It has always been hard to close; I solved it by giving it a firm tap with the heel of my hand. More recently I've learned to press on the back side (i.e. pushing it toward the front) which makes it much easier. It is after a plastic setup, so I don't want to break it.

But here's the thing: in zero F weather, the sucker won't open! That's really bad and could hazard someone's life. (You're out of gas and it's five below and you're at a self-serve convenience store.) I once freed it with my wife's hair dryer (and no, there was no water in there). More recently when the fuel is low, I release the filler door the day before I plan to gas up. I don't want to be standing there, running back & forth from the filler door to the driver door to keep releasing the thing. It's a major fault, though not sufficient for me to take it to the dealer on a special trip (he's twenty miles away).

I think filing the nubbin is a bad idea. What should happen is that the filler door gets shifted a millimeter forward.

"If" it shifts a millimeter forward nothing bad will happen as the nubbin is still long enough to engage.

Also lloks to me that if the door is moved forward it will hit in the front when its in the halfway open position.

I ve had no issues since I filed the nubbin. Closes smooth now and opens all the time . The ice thing is another issue.

As I said, there was no water in there.

I couldn't open it yesterday, bitter cold weather and low on fuel. (I was fortunate enough to have a passenger who could keep upward pressure on the release lever while I tried to move the fuel door forward, but no joy.) It popped open at noon today after soaking in the sun all morning. I put in 14.9 gallons.

I'm beginning to conclude that the Subaru Legacy 2015 is a POS. The gas mileage stinks, and it is full of dangerous quirks once the temps get below zero F.

As I said, there was no water in there. I couldn't open it yesterday, bitter cold weather and low on fuel. (I was fortunate enough to have a passenger who could keep upward pressure on the release lever while I tried to move the fuel door forward, but no joy.) It popped open at noon today after soaking in the sun all morning. I put in 14.9 gallons.

I'm beginning to conclude that the Subaru Legacy 2015 is a POS. The gas mileage stinks, and it is full of dangerous quirks once the temps get below zero F.

I'd guess there's water in the mechanism somewhere, in the tube the cable is in or at the spring loaded pin at the door.

Subaru has to fix it for you. Take it to the dealer on what will be a cold night, get a loaner and let them see the problem in the AM. You could even be there. Or go to the dealer when it freezes shut.

Once they see it, they'll fix it.

Home remedy, get the can of WD40 with the red nozzle extension or some water displacing silicon spray with similar attachment and spray every part of the mechanism you can.

They fixed my gas lid this week but I'm going to see if I can replicate your problem next time I'm skiing in the cold....if it ever gets cold on Mt. Hood again.

• 2 weeks later...
Dealer fixed mine this morning. Paperwork says 'performed update on fuel filler door'. Popped open on the first shot ... 5 degrees this morning and more effen snow on the way ... and the door closed smooth as silk. Hope this is it!

They took it off and reinstalled did realignment. They said they open and closed 20 times to make sure it worked well and it stayed in position and tight.
Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

I tried re-allignining it and shaved 1mm off the release pin.... It worked for 2 weeks or so and now it wont open again.

I am going to make an appointment to get its guts replaced.

I hope the wind noise and gas door are the only 1st years problems we will have.

Took delivery of a 2015 Legacy 2.5i Limited this past Wed ... after reading about this issue some are having, tried mine today. Worked it several times, open and closing ... fortunately works like silk, no problems.

Mine worked fine for the first couple months, then slowly started to get worse. I took it in to the dealer when I had my first oil change and supposedly fixed it. A week later, couldn't get it open again. Took it back and they said that it was working just fine but that they adjusted it just in case........ So far, it works fine now, but doesn't pop open as far as it used to.

Guest rayms69
I have been massaging mine since i got it. Aligned nicely now, no sticky unless ice was on it and in the cracks. Cold hasnt been the problem with mine ever, just was off its gaps

Archived