LegacyGT.com

Gas tank release doesn't work. New 2015

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Reviving this thread. I see there is a TSB out for the fuel door.

Does anyone know if there was a countermeasure applied for vin after xxxx? [yes, VINs starting with F3016878.]

Any new owners having the fuel door issues lately.

EDIT: found the answer on the other thread, didn't realize there were 2.

"The TSB is 09-58-14, issued at the end Sept of 2014.

The TSB also says that the problem was fixed in all Legacy VINs starting with F3016878.

The fix says to remove a 10mm hex cap from the door and push the gas cap into the car itself, while it's in the open position. Then put the hex cap back on, torque to 5.5 ft lbs and, with the car in park and the cap still open, push the inside hinge assembly in the forward direction of the car.

It says to then confirm that it fits, opens and clears now, if not, replace the whole assembly. "

Does anyone know if there was a countermeasure applied for vin after xxxx?

I picked up mine on Feb,27 and I too had problem getting the fuel tank door once. However it was not too hard to get it open with a credit card. I could see some ice that has built up betwen the door gap and I just scraped off some ice using credit card and it opened. I don't know if mine received countermeasure for this TSB but it doesnt bother me too much becuz it's a simple fix with credit card so I will live with it for now.

Does anyone know if there was a countermeasure applied for vin after xxxx?

I picked up mine on 2/11/15, and the plate on the door shows it was manufactured 12/14 ... to date, I have had no problems at all with opening the fuel filler door.

I picked up mine on Feb,27 and I too had problem getting the fuel tank door once. However it was not too hard to get it open with a credit card. I could see some ice that has built up betwen the door gap and I just scraped off some ice using credit card and it opened. I don't know if mine received countermeasure for this TSB but it doesnt bother me too much becuz it's a simple fix with credit card so I will live with it for now.

Thanks Woony. I thought these were different issues? I'm only referring to #1 below.

1. the fuel door release nub is mm's too long. shaving solves the release problem.

2. ice around door is a byproduct of winter..

I just found the answer on a different thread.

Thanks Woony. I thought these were different issues? I'm only referring to #1 below.

1. the fuel door release nub is mm's too long. shaving solves the release problem.

2. ice around door is a byproduct of winter..

I just found the answer on a different thread.

Oh sorry if I didn't have clear understanding of the issue, I thought they were related issue.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

O.K. my first post so here goes!

The fuel door on my '15 Legacy failed to open several times on a recent cross country trip. Managed to get it open by propping the release lever up with a pocket knife and pulling the door open from outside. Now that I'm home I had a good look at the door after once again popping it open from outside I notice the plastic on the inside of the door had a slight overhang at the 9-12 o'clock position (as viewed from the outside of the door) I took said pocket knife and whittled a bit of the plastic away and now the door opens and closes perfectly. :)

Oh, and just so no one asks: Pennzoil platinum 0w-20 :spin:

Upate: Mine recently went in for an oil change and I complained for the third time about the fuel door still not opening. Service Tech said there was a new TSB, and basically had the pin filed down. Guess what? Went to put gas in this week ... door partially unlatched but still didn't pop open. Boo!

Given the stellar track record of the 6 Subarus I have owned before this one, there are no complaints.

I am so confident in the product that I just bought a well-maintained 2002 Impreza with 122k for my son that is not used, but just nicely broken in. I expect years of relatively maintenance free ownership with this car.

Trust me, this is only a tiny minor annoyance until it gets corrected once and for all.

The gas-filler flaw is hardly a minor complaint. Where I live, it is a potential killer. In sub-zero weather, I cannot open my filler door, so I must plan my fillups like a military campaign. I stand out there with my wife's hair dryer and a 50-foot extension cord, heating up the dang thang so I can open it. Then I drive to the gas station WITH THE DOOR AJAR. How's that for civilized transportation?

I don't take many long trips these days, but I can well imagine someone running low on gasoline heading back from Vermont to New York after a ski trip and standing at a self-service station with a credit card, no attendant, and no way to fill that sucker. What then? Is he supposed to carry a wrecking bar so he can prise open the door? And good luck having Subaru repair the damage!

Go ahead and buy that 2002 Impreza. Just stay away from the 2015 Legacy.

Guys...come on. A forum is where you hear everyone that is an "enthusiast" have fun talking about their cars as well as the bitching a moaning. Have you ever read a thread on another car manufacturers forum or belonged to another forum? It is no different any where you go. There is good...there is bad and there is ugly. EVERY manufacturer has their issues and annoyances. A gas filler cap is just one of those. Do you now tell all your friends not to buy a 2015 Legacy because of it? I don't think so. I have had my car since Feb. 28 and we got a lot of snow for VA this winter. I have never once had an issue opening my fuel door so its not prevalent across all Legacy's. May have been a batch that were "out of spec". If it was a larger issue they would either recall the part or TSB it. We LOVE our cars and care enough to share our thoughts with on-line friends that feel the same way so every issue WE all find is not the end of the world and can be fixed. Finished with my early morning rant...have to start working for a dollar now.

Check out the J D Power Initial Quality Survey. The 2015 Legacy gets two stars, which is the lowest rating they give, right down there with the Chrysler 200.

Really? You cannot compare the Legacy to the Crappystar 200.:rolleyes:

Look at crash test ratings.

Look at overall price.

Look at lifetime expense.

Look at History of two companies.

Should I keep on going?

The 2015 Legacy does skimp out on interior quality but it compensates by having AWD, a better engine, a better transmission,, etc.

Take the Fusion for example. Crash tests are not near as good and the car is $3,000 more for similarly equip'd components and AWD.

I can understand the furstration regarding the filler door not opening. I had to shave the DOOR SIDE in order to finally eliminate the sticking because shaving the plunger down 1-2mm per TSB did NOT work.

Here is where I shaved to solve my fuel door problem:

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc86/rfoker/Subaru/20150430_120945_zpssfsr4fsj.jpg~original

• 6 months later...

Many thanks to those who have posted here. I have a 2015 Legacy and have noticed lately that the door is hard to CLOSE.

Today I stopped to pump gas and could not get the door OPEN, despite repeatedly pulling the release. I checked the owner's manual for troubleshooting (ie, some weird requirement like you have to open it within x seconds of pulling the release) but nothing. On maybe the 10th try I was able to insert the edge of a key carefully at the edge of the door and get it open. When I Google searched the issue and found this forum, I was relieved to see that it wasn't just me. AND importantly, I realized that today is probably the first day of the season that it has been truly cold in Atlanta (maybe 38 degrees when I was at the station). I had not associated the difficulties with weather at all.

I'm printing out this thread and will take to the dealer. Meanwhile, I'll fill up the first warm afternoon after dropping to half a tank.

Taken my car to dealer today for the two TSB gas tank and the two front small window replacement. The two triangle window was done and the two pcs gas tank parts is on back order. As per service manager they don't have a exact date when will Subaru warehouse will ship the following item. Did anyone get the same info from the dealership. I need to get this gas tank fix. Any temporary fix.

Archived