LegacyGT.com

Gas tank release doesn't work. New 2015

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The real problem is the national back order. I'm in Ohio and the two dealers nearest to me (and one hour away, at that) have both said they won't get the parts until some time in April. I've been waiting since January, 2016.

Did you get your car fixed yet? I live in Kansas, and Subaru of Wichita was able to get the new parts for me in two days.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Did you get your car fixed yet? I live in Kansas, and Subaru of Wichita was able to get the new parts for me in two days.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Yes, I did. I never received a call from either dealer that I was on the wait list with, so I called them. One of the dealers had the repair kit and I took it in that same week (mid April). It's worked fine since.

Buying and selling cars is - to me - a huge deal, requiring great research, and consideration.

But, as soon as I have the time, I'm on it!

Meanwhile my sister is dealing with the recall where Subaru told her **do not drive the car!!** She said, "But I live in the woods of deep dark Vermont". *OK, you can drive a little.*

Buying and selling cars is - to me - a huge deal, requiring great research, and consideration.

But, as soon as I have the time, I'm on it!

Meanwhile my sister is dealing with the recall where Subaru told her **do not drive the car!!** She said, "But I live in the woods of deep dark Vermont". *OK, you can drive a little.*

So what you're saying is that after great research and consideration you bought a Subaru, an action which you now think of as "falling for the hype"?

Maybe those words don't mean what you think they mean.

After over 3 months of not hearing anything back from the dealership, I finally stopped in yesterday to see if they had the replacement fuel door in... and sure enough they have had it for a couple of months, but never called me to let me know! Have my appointment on Wednesday morning to finally get this fixed, and taking care of the parking brake TSB while I'm there.

This is the only bad experience I've had with Heuberger... and I think I just slipped through the cracks. My friend who sold me the car is setting up a meeting with the service manager while I'm there so we can find out why I was never contacted about this. Guess we will see what happens from it!

Which words? "DO NOT drive the car"?

Or "hype" or "research"?

Actually living with the car, or trying to, makes me realize that all I had available to me was hype. Everything I read seemed good, but the car was not actually out there.

Hey! Did I tell you that the back up camera was on as I drove along the on ramp to the NYS Thruway?!

Which words? "DO NOT drive the car"?

Or "hype" or "research"?

Actually living with the car, or trying to, makes me realize that all I had available to me was hype. Everything I read seemed good, but the car was not actually out there.

"great research and consideration". You said it's your practice to engage in "great research and consideration" when you buy a car. Obviously, what you think of as "great research and consideration" was a process that failed you utterly when you bought your Subaru.

The rest of us DO engage in "great research and consideration" when we buy cars. That's how we see through the hype.

Your heart is in the right place, but your execution of the process needs considerable upgrading. Better luck with your next car purchase.

• 1 month later...
So after three tries, the dealer service department said that they would fix it and they changed the hinge and inner lid. Indeed, the thing would now open - but it would not close completely, sticking out from the car at the end opposite the hinge. I thought I could live with it but it looks bad and water gets in. So I called and the dealer said they would fix it. I made an appointment and left it. I picked it up and indeed the lid lined up properly. And it opened when I pulled the lever. But - when I looked at the lid, I saw it was full of dents. They must forced the inner lid into the outer one and used a mallet to get them together. I asked the service advisor to take a look. He saw the problem and said he would order a new lid and have it painted and then call me. That will be visit #6. I have not had a warranty visit for any other thing. The service advisor, whom I have known for 20 years, said it was not this way on previous generations but this one has been influenced by Toyota. When all else fails, blame Toyota.

Sh!t happens. But they are standing behind their work. I had twice the driver window noise parts replaced and when they fixed the noise the second time, they dented the metal surround. They ordered a new one and replaced that piece and during the install bent it and then scratched the mirror top. Ordered new surround and mirror top and had it painted and installed. All is well that ends well. This kind of stuff does not bother me as long as they knowledge it their fault and they make it right.
Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

...But - when I looked at the lid, I saw it was full of dents...

same thing happened to me. They got the new cover painted and it was the wrong color, had a tinted look to it b/c they didn't paint it with the car. Then they repainted it and blended it into the rear quarter panel and the color matched, but the paint shop left me with some haze and swirl marks all over the rear quarter, which was perfect before they touched it. Finally they fixed the hazing but i can still see the imperfect paint if I look closely. Very disappointed they messed up the door to begin with..:mad:

So just for anyone that might care - my Legacy had the issue with the gas tank, but I slightly filed down the the nub that 'catches' the door and applied a little bit of lubricant. Its been nearly a year and havent had any issues.

So after three tries, the dealer service department said that they would fix it and they changed the hinge and inner lid. Indeed, the thing would now open - but it would not close completely, sticking out from the car at the end opposite the hinge. I thought I could live with it but it looks bad and water gets in. So I called and the dealer said they would fix it. I made an appointment and left it. I picked it up and indeed the lid lined up properly. And it opened when I pulled the lever. But - when I looked at the lid, I saw it was full of dents. They must forced the inner lid into the outer one and used a mallet to get them together. I asked the service advisor to take a look. He saw the problem and said he would order a new lid and have it painted and then call me. That will be visit #6. I have not had a warranty visit for any other thing. The service advisor, whom I have known for 20 years, said it was not this way on previous generations but this one has been influenced by Toyota. When all else fails, blame Toyota.

Thank you for that. I have owned three Subarus (1982 or 83 Hatchback, 2000 Outback, 2015 Legacy) and they all have had endless, niggling problems.

At the gym the other day, I saw a gal drive in and park with her gas door ajar. We had a nice consolation chat. Hers is so bad that it doesn't work even in warm weather!

I particularly liked the Toyota blame game. Going forward, I suppose they'll blame everything on Volkswagen.

I had my adjusted twice. First time I went to fill up, it would not close fixed in 5 minutes while I waited. Second time they were fixing the vehicle got it back would not open, repaired again in 5 minutes while I waited. That was a year ago. No Big Deal.
Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Thank you for that. I have owned three Subarus (1982 or 83 Hatchback, 2000 Outback, 2015 Legacy) and they all have had endless, niggling problems.

Yikes, that's bad luck indeed!

I've owned four Subarus ('97 Legacy, '05 Legacy, '15 Forester, '16 Legacy), and none of them have had endless, niggling problems. (Knock on wood!)

By the way, to be fair to Subaru, it was not Subaru who blamed Toyota for the gas doors. It was some service adviser at a dealership who came up with that gem. Total baloney coming out of the mouth of a service adviser has been par for the course (for me) for every dealership I've ever taken my car to (Subaru, Toyata, Honda and Mazda).

Sh!t happens. But they are standing behind their work. I had twice the driver window noise parts replaced and when they fixed the noise the second time, they dented the metal surround. They ordered a new one and replaced that piece and during the install bent it and then scratched the mirror top. Ordered new surround and mirror top and had it painted and installed. All is well that ends well. This kind of stuff does not bother me as long as they knowledge it their fault and they make it right.
Thanks for the positive view. I'm learning that the dealer service is incompetent - not just with this - but warranty service is only at a dealer and there are surprisingly few in Toronto (there are no new ones in 20 years despite the sales increases). The problem for me is that no dealer is convenient, so six trips for this trivial repair is five times too many - there is obviously no one who approves a repair when the mechanic says it's done. My general solution is to have as much done by an excellent independent mechanic who has been able to deal with Subaru vehicles and who charges a lot less than a dealer when things are out of warranty. At the other place, if shit happens I am surprised - but if it does, it is corrected immediately.

• 1 month later...
Yes, I did. I never received a call from either dealer that I was on the wait list with, so I called them. One of the dealers had the repair kit and I took it in that same week (mid April). It's worked fine since.

I'm making up the punch list to go visit the dealer. Just so I don't have to page back through 13 pages of pots, does anyone have the part number / work order number / whatever for the gas filler door fix?

Or is it enough to say Fix the effing thing!?

Thanks!

I'm making up the punch list to go visit the dealer. Just so I don't have to page back through 13 pages of pots, does anyone have the part number / work order number / whatever for the gas filler door fix?

Or is it enough to say Fix the effing thing!?

Thanks!

Here's the TSB number you need: 09-61-15R

Here's a link with more info: http://subaru.oemdtc.com/117/design-change-to-the-fuel-filler-door-assembly-2015-2016-subaru-legacy-outback

Issues described in some of the above posts are the reasons why I bought the new part (ebay, actually, and it was the latest "C" iteration of the part number) and installed it myself several months ago. No dents. It's perfectly centered (unlike the original) and level with the fender surface (as was the original). It opens and closes just fine every time now (unlike original).

The metal door cover was a pain to remove from the original part, so I can see why a dealer tech would get impatient and put dents in it. It isn't made to come off easily.

• 2 months later...

... and after 4 trips to the dealer, the 'Big Final Fix" and 8 months of flawless operation, my gas door has refused to open the last 3 Fridays at the gas station. Back to pushing the door and yanking on the lever multiple times.

Makes me think the cable is stretching out and not releasing the latch.

The dealership, where my car was purchased, performed a second repair of this fuel door due to the sticking problem. This new fix took at least couple hours to complete and involved installing a new fuel door assembly (or something like that).

According to the dealership, the first countermeasure fix, as instructed by Subaru like adjusting the fuel door hinge, did not completely resolve the problem. The latest solution will resolve the issue. Again, the newest fix involves installing new parts and takes couple of hours to complete.

Fuel door repair using the latest method completed about several weeks ago. Hope no more fuel door issues, especially during the winter time.

Attached picture shows the fuel door after 2nd repair.

Capture.thumb.JPG.4b6a19c925008f83bc9806f7a5730710.JPG

Archived