LegacyGT.com

Gas tank release doesn't work. New 2015

I thought I was the only one. This particularly happens to me only when it's cold out. I pull on the gas tank release 3-4 times every time I get gas now before I go out of the car.. only to see that it still didn't open. After pulling it a couple more times it eventually opens. One time I had to get a tool to try and pry it open. I think some water/snow gets trapped in there during winter here and it ends up freezing making the lever not open.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At the risk of repeating myself, I took a file to the pin (explained in a post) and three mins later still working fine after having the sticking door issue. I can t believe the dealer takes several trips for most to fix. I laughed when I saw posts about dealers putting grease on the pin, LOL. I mean, how long will that last.... Same old.

• 1 month later...
Release for gas tank door worked most of the time during the summer. When the temp dropped below freezing it would only open about a millimeter. I was able to pry it open and then I sprayed white lithium grease on the pin and the hinge and for now it works perfectly. 2016 Legacy 2.5i

• 10 months later...
^^^ it doesn't. Your 2016 probably had the new part installed. If it ain't broke....

Well here I am in my 2017 Limited and at the second fill up this week, about 1,100 km on the car, the gas tank door won't open. Maybe a coincidence, but it's also the first time the temperature has fallen below freezing. It's Friday at 4:00 p.m., the gas light just came on and I'm freezing my fingertips off.

So I drove straight to the dealer where I bought the car. The service department closes at noon on Fridays and there's no one there. I went to the showroom and explained the problem to a salesman. "Is it a Legacy or an Outback?" he asked me. "There's a TSB out for that. They'll replace the whole mechanism." he tells me. "In the meantime, jam something under the release lever to keep it open and then use a credit card to lever open the gas door. It happened on my wife's Outback and she was really pissed at me."

I'm not impressed. Subaru is obviously aware of the problem but they haven't fixed the problem at the factory. I wouldn't be surprised that 2018s still do it.

It has happened to me twice and both times they adjusted the door, proximity 5 minutes. Last repair was two years ago.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul![emoji4]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

So just for anyone that might care - my Legacy had the issue with the gas tank, but I slightly filed down the the nub that 'catches' the door and applied a little bit of lubricant. Its been nearly a year and havent had any issues.

Yes, I know, quoting myself, but its now been 2+ years and no issues. This is a simple fix that takes about 5 minutes.

Wonder what the change is.

I don't know, but it may address the issue of retained water freezing in the gap between the fuel door and the body. Since the TSB number is prefixed 12 it's almost certainly not related to the earlier balky-latch TSBs, which were prefixed 09.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

09/13/17

NHTSA ID: 10117547

TSB ID: 12-226-17

"This bulletin provides part number and design change information regarding the fuel door (saucer) assembly which may not open properly due to ice accumulation in sub-freezing conditions"

09/13/17

NHTSA ID: 10117547

TSB ID: 12-226-17

"This bulletin provides part number and design change information regarding the fuel door (saucer) assembly which may not open properly due to ice accumulation in sub-freezing conditions"

Where are you looking up the TSB details? The tech info site only gives the number date and description and I can't click on them to open.

Where are you looking up the TSB details? The tech info site only gives the number date and description and I can't click on them to open.

I usually try to link my source which I did not do which I apologize for. I did a google search and found a site that offered limited views for free but Im not sure where it was. It only provided the description I quoted but not the full TSB.

If I complete negotiations for a Subaru, I too will be curious as to finding a location with more detailed TSBs. Forum members of my current car always seem to have latest TSBs or monthly manufacturer service newsletters available which is very handy as reference or to inform service of something they are not aware of.

Archived