LegacyGT.com

Gas tank release doesn't work. New 2015

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Taken my car to dealer today for the two TSB gas tank and the two front small window replacement. The two triangle window was done and the two pcs gas tank parts is on back order. As per service manager they don't have a exact date when will Subaru warehouse will ship the following item. Did anyone get the same info from the dealership. I need to get this gas tank fix. Any temporary fix.

page 1 post 4... Now at 20K and opens every time.

Just took mine to the dealer this morning after being notified the parts were in (ordered 1 week ago). Took them 50 min. to make the repair. It works now, at least the first time I tried it. It does feel like there's more tension on the latch pull. We'll see about the longevity.

I had it fixed the second time by the dealer who told me it was a complete replacement of the mechanism on Wednesday last week and he "guaranteed" that it was fixed. I needed gas for the first time since then yesterday (Monday) and it didn't open. I found it hard to prop up the handle and I knew that it had to be up to get the other part to work. So I reconsidered the situation. It was below freezing and the car had been out in the rain that turned to snow. So I took my Esso Extra card and inserted in the space around the filler door and hacked at the ice. Then I went back and pulled on the lever and it opened. So another problem is the way the door traps water and it can freeze up. I never had a car with that problem before. It's clear that the door is poorly located where it can collect water run-off. My older Legacy and many Accords never had this problem, simply because the door on them is better situated. It would be a good idea to carry some lock deicing spray to use on the door if it does ice up. Otherwise, have a plastic card you don't care about or a thin bladed knife on hand.

I've now encountered that same thing twice, the last being just yesterday. Water gets into the space around the filler door and freezes up. Both times I used a plastic card to chip away the ice to get it to open.

It was below freezing and the car had been out in the rain that turned to snow. So I took my Esso Extra card and inserted in the space around the filler door and hacked at the ice. Then I went back and pulled on the lever and it opened. So another problem is the way the door traps water and it can freeze up.

OK ... mine went in for trip #4 and hopefully, got the 'Final Fix'. They finally replaced the fuel door parts and it popped open first shot every time I checked. No more pulling the lever 18 times! Supposed to be wicked cold this week and my trip to gas up on Friday will be the test.

I set the appointment to get mine done... although they are booked up until February 3rd. Guess I'll be waiting a while and hopefully can wedge it open if necessary in the meantime.

Make sure the remote lever is lifted when you try to pry the lid. The key fob does not stay wedged in place so you need something with a rougher surface. BTW I had the "final" fix done on mine a couple of weeks ago. It still takes several tries and removal of ice as well.

I went in for the big fix after the small fix. Went to buy gas and it didn't open. My solution was to shove my gloves under the release handle then use a plastic card to pull it open. The gloves did work well since I couldn't keep it closed until I took the gloves out. I called Subaru Canada and was told that it has been a common problem but their fix works. My dealer's service department is just not up to the task after two tries.

Update: So I called up the dealer and the service guy told me he'd look at it. They decided to follow the TSB again and this time replaced the hinge assembly and the collar that the door closes onto. When they tested it, the door stayed open and slamming it did not close it. They had previously cut down the pin as the first approach. Now, with everything replaced the pin is too short. So they were going to order a replacement for the line with the pin but there are none in the warehouse so there was no point in leaving it. But a committee of the service manager and two mechanics found a way to lengthen the cable enough so the pin is out there and now closes. And opens. At least for one day so far. I will add to this post if there is any news to the contrary. The service sales guy said that only two cars have come in their shop for this problem.

Update: It now opens every time. But doesn't close flat. I can live with it but they should eventually replace the release cable.

OK ... mine went in for trip #4 and hopefully, got the 'Final Fix'. They finally replaced the fuel door parts and it popped open first shot every time I checked. No more pulling the lever 18 times! Supposed to be wicked cold this week and my trip to gas up on Friday will be the test.

So ... I'm pulling the EFFIN' lever and the EFFIN' door isn't opening!!! Go back to the paperwork and in Section C - Customer States Fuel Door INOP ... and in the bottom section, it says PART NOT IN YET.

This, after they had my car the entire morning and called and said it was all set, neglecting to ever tell me that the fuel door was never fixed. WHAT A SUCKY DEALER!

Car is currently in getting the fuel door fixed, as well as the loose side mirrors and wind noise. Fingers crossed the service department is better than their idiot customer service people:spin: will report back as to what they do and if it fixes it. I asked for the replacement mechanism by email but who knows...

1st fix was filing the pin down which worked for 2 weeks

2nd fix was full replacement and worked for 6 months

We are back to square 1 as the gas door stopped opening again.....Really Subaru?????

Between the cracking windshield, window noise and sticky gas door among many other small things, this one so far is the Legacy that required the most repairs 1st year of ownership out of th 6 I have owned.

Less than 2 years on the lease and it will be going bye bye. Besides being super ugly 2012 had zero issues.

I am having the same problem.. Fuel door wont open properly. The dealer tells me same thing; "part ordered, don't know when it will arrive" My check engine light is also on, Eyesight, traction control and cruse control and other safety features stopped working and the dealer states that it is all related. I am very concerned, *& suspicious. Is my car safe to drive? Why does my saftey equipment not work properly?

I would bet my unborn child that the gas door and your warning lights have NOTHING to do with each other. The door is plastic. There's no wiring attached to it in any way. Your Service Advisor is a F***ING MORON.

Does the warning stay on or they come on sometimes. If it is sometimes there's a lot of threads already you can search about Eyesight temporarily shutting off or I have a Great idea open the Eyesight Manual.
Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Archived