LegacyGT.com

Gas tank release doesn't work. New 2015

just got my fuel door fixed.. woohoo

had been fueling up by prying the door open with credit card while propping the release lever with my garage remote for the last half year

Lol. I would've gone nuts waiting that long to get it fixed.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has anyone had the gas door problem on a 2016?

My 2016 is easy to open, but sometimes stubborn to close. I gently push it toward the hinge and it is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2016 is easy to open, but sometimes stubborn to close. I gently push it toward the hinge and it is fine.

Thanks. I opened mine for the first time today, opened fine. Tonight I tried it a few more times and it seems to work well. Time will tell but I hope they fixed it by my VIN.

Has anyone had the gas door problem on a 2016?

Yes, had it on mine, built in 9/15. Worked fine for a month or so then started not opening on the first pull of the latch but would always open on the second or third try. I figured it would only get worse over time so I took it to the dealer for the official TSB parts replacement fix 4 weeks ago and it's been perfect since. Just hope it stays that way over the long haul.

Actually ... I may disagree on this. Remember, this is a New Generation vehicle, and some problems cannot be anticipated. When I reported this to the service department in September 2014, when I first got my car they had no idea. As a matter of fact, I had one of the first 2015 Legacy's at the dealer and one of the first 3.6R's in the area which was ordered in July and delivered the last day of August.

Now, you need to go through troubleshooting and repairing ... a process that may or may not work over time, like adjusting, filing and replacing.

I believe that Subaru is doing an ok job with this, as it is a total annoyance, not a major safety factor. It's the educated consumer (us here) that sometimes knows more about things like this than the Service department. Sad, but true. If you have one vehicle that randomly comes in with a problem ... is it a real problem? ... or 'Operator Error'? You need to think this way.

Fortunately, if you ask NOW, there is a fix. If the Service Department is clueless, you can always point them to a TSB.

$32,000 vehicle, and you gotta pry open the gas door with a screwdriver? Even a POS Ford that's 20 years old doesn't have that problem now, let alone when brand new. All I'm saying is the service departments don't always investigate the issue, and it's a sad state for the manufacturer when the consumer knows more about thier product than they do.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

At least we Subie owners don't have to listen to that awful 20 year old Ford power steering whine. I'll take a funky gas door over that any day.

I'll take the fuel door sticking over the Ford transmission going out at 20,000 miles (which happened to the last 2 Fords I owned).

Ok ... back from the dealer. The fuel door lever has a lot more tension and you can feel and hear the door pop open on the first pull. Cold too ... currently 18 degrees so it definitely works in the cold.

Had the official TSB X fix done to mine a few weeks ago and it's worked perfectly since but there's a caveat. Don't get it wet in freezing cold weather. Went through the car wash today, 11 deg. F, drove 10 min. to a gas station, pulled the lever everything felt the same but the door didn't open. Drove home and after an hour in the garage it went back to normal.

Had the official TSB X fix done to mine a few weeks ago and it's worked perfectly since but there's a caveat. Don't get it wet in freezing cold weather. Went through the car wash today, 11 deg. F, drove 10 min. to a gas station, pulled the lever everything felt the same but the door didn't open. Drove home and after an hour in the garage it went back to normal.

Exact same thing with mine, without the TSB being done though.

I haven't had a problem with it yet, so no TSB done. But took the car to a wash on Saturday night, when it was 8 degrees out, done and gone, parked the car in a garage (approx 55 degrees).

Anyway, I usually pop the gas cover to wipe the inside, as water usually gets in there and NEVER drains out but stays in a little puddle. But it was already late from the car wash (about 12am) and I left it alone. Next morning, dropped wife at work and headed for gas and it wouldn't open, turns out since it was 10 degrees out, that puddle froze between the body and gas door. Had to use a credit card to slide between and chip it loose.

My complaint does not include car washes or extreme cold - it simply won't open 8 times out of 10 without prying.

Sometimes the situation occurs when it is seriously cold out, but it is winter, so it is cold. It does not open when it is warm, too.

I do not use car washes or wash my car. But I have been known to drive in the rain. Can the Subaru Legacy handle rain?

I do not use car washes or wash my car. But I have been known to drive in the rain. Can the Subaru Legacy handle rain?

Rather than whining about it on an Internet forum, why not take your Legacy to a dealer and have the problem fixed under warranty? That's what the warranty is for.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

My complaint does not include car washes or extreme cold - it simply won't open 8 times out of 10 without prying.

Sometimes the situation occurs when it is seriously cold out, but it is winter, so it is cold. It does not open when it is warm, too.

^ Wow, no car washes ever? First of all, that's gross and secondly I feel bad for your paint and undercarriage. - No offense implied.

If you get your car washed in below freezing temperatures you have to expect things to freeze after. After you get your car washed in cold temps I would open and close all the doors and the fuel filler door to prevent sticking. The car doors shouldn't freeze completely closed obviously, but they might stick a little. The fuel filler door I would expect to freeze shut if it's 11F outside though. I usually don't get my car washed if it's below 30F.

If you get your car washed in below freezing temperatures you have to expect things to freeze after. After you get your car washed in cold temps I would open and close all the doors and the fuel filler door to prevent sticking. The car doors shouldn't freeze completely closed obviously, but they might stick a little. The fuel filler door I would expect to freeze shut if it's 11F outside though. I usually don't get my car washed if it's below 30F.

I normally don't either but my car was defecated upon by a flock of birds while parked in front of a furniture store so I had no choice. It was a very nasty sight.

Rather than whining about it on an Internet forum, why not take your Legacy to a dealer and have the problem fixed under warranty? That's what the warranty is for.

You call it "whining", and believe that I am trying to find out how common this problem is because as I made clear, posts ago, the dealer I work with has not dealt with this situation very well. Also, as I have made clear, it is not as simple as you make it sound.

But, thank you for adding fuel to the fire: I have also complained (as you pronounce it, "whined") to my dealer about this web site and the content of the comments. The accusatory tone of some of the comments does nothing to sell Subarus or give confidence in the brand. And sounds a lot like Subaru dealers who don't think they are getting enough "love".

BTW, I never had to wash my Lexus because anytime I took it in to the dealer (rare, compared to my new Subaru Legacy) they washed it.

Archived