LegacyGT.com

Gas tank release doesn't work. New 2015

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

... I'm stuck on 5 whole posts, complaining to the dealer about this site, and getting the car washed ... (maybe he should have gone for another Lexus).

FWIW ... washed the car today and door popped open on the first pull.

• 1 month later...

It had nothing to do with needing to wash the car.

It was entirely replaced and now it works. It took 2 hours of my life, sitting in a boring waiting room, while Subaru replaced the gas cap door. A decades old technology that I have never had a problem with in another car, yet I am supposed to trust them with their new "Eyesight Package".

Really, if you all want to focus on a dirty car, go, waste your time.

But, I am concerned about 10s of thousands being spent on mediocre, half-assed technology.

It had nothing to do with needing to wash the car.

It was entirely replaced and now it works. It took 2 hours of my life, sitting in a boring waiting room, while Subaru replaced the gas cap door. A decades old technology that I have never had a problem with in another car, yet I am supposed to trust them with their new "Eyesight Package".

Really, if you all want to focus on a dirty car, go, waste your time.

But, I am concerned about 10s of thousands being spent on mediocre, half-assed technology.

I have this vision of a guy in the Subaru design studio with two projects on his bench: (1) design the Eyesight system (2) design the fuel fill door release. He gets into the Eyesight design every day and keeps forgetting to the do fuel door release. Then the boss comes and asks how he is doing and he lies about the fuel door release, which he hasn't looked at, and says "works great."

I suspect it's more like this: The gas door design should be a fairly straightforward and boring design. Anybody could do the job, but it's not a job anybody would really want.

So the job gets assigned to the new hire, or to the guy that's close to being fired.

On the other hand, EyeSight is new, exciting and challenging. It's part of one of the company's core strategies. It's a technology where a screw-up could cost the company big-time in terms of law suits and damage to reputation.

So THAT job gets assigned to the best of the best. (OR it's contracted out to a company that specializes in that technology.)

To me, it seems like a bad idea to attempt to judge the quality of EyeSight based on the fuel door design. I don't see the logic behind it when there is SO much information to be had about people's DIRECT experience with EyeSight. so there is no need to try to deduce its quality by contemplating some unrelated car part.

Google WRX fuel door won't open.

You'll quickly see that Subaru has had this same issue for at least 6 years. In that search, I also see people talking about the Forester and Outback (not a surprise on that one). WRX owners seem to be talking about the same issue we have. (Some people with even older cars report problems opening the fuel door, but that can also be due to other issues related to the car getting old, cable issues, or whatever).

Google WRX fuel door won't open.

You'll quickly see that Subaru has had this same issue for at least 6 years. In that search, I also see people talking about the Forester and Outback (not a surprise on that one). WRX owners seem to be talking about the same issue we have. (Some people with even older cars report problems opening the fuel door, but that can also be due to other issues related to the car getting old, cable issues, or whatever).

Do not confuse "the same issue" with "the same symptom".

If you google "fuel door won't open", you will get hits referring to Subaru, and Honda, and Dodge, and Toyota, and VW, etc, etc.

These sticky fuel doors were not all caused by "the same issue".

I'm a little skeptical that the design issues that caused the fuel door to stick on Subarus 6+ years ago are what's causing the problems with the 2015/2016 Legacys. But I could be wrong.

If it makes you guys feel any better the 5th gen had the same issue. When I had my 2012 I also had to have the gas door fuel fixed under warranty. It happened to my 2015 as well.

It's what makes a Subaru a Subaru! :spin:

---

Do not confuse "the same issue" with "the same symptom".

If you google "fuel door won't open", you will get hits referring to Subaru, and Honda, and Dodge, and Toyota, and VW, etc, etc.

These sticky fuel doors were not all caused by "the same issue".

I'm a little skeptical that the design issues that caused the fuel door to stick on Subarus 6+ years ago are what's causing the problems with the 2015/2016 Legacys. But I could be wrong.

From googling WRX fuel saucer, the part looks essentially identical to the Legacy part. Looks like the work of the same Subaru (?) designers and manufacturer, and owners complain of the same symptoms and discuss what seem to turn out to be the same temporary fixes.

I replaced mine myself after sourcing the part on ebay when they were on extended backorder. Could have waited for warranty, taken the car to the dealer etc., but decided to figure the thing out myself. Besides a better feel, especially when closing, my gas door is now centered in the opening. I actually think that centering issue relates to the "sticking" problem and is why grinding back the pin length per the TSB sometimes helps. (For anyone's info that's interested, the part is NOT adjustable at all for position of the gas door. It's a function of the design of the part and hinge location, which Subaru seems to have fixed with the "C" interation of the part number).

WRX example: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2649099&page=2

... and the solution is soooo simple. 3 easy steps.

1. Go to the dealer.

2. Get it fixed for free.

3. Enjoy the awesomeness of the Legacy ... more so if you have a 3.6R!

My problem was that I put it off for so long and once I got it fixed, I am so happy that the door pops open first pull, every time.

Went in for a oil change friday and just mentioned the TSB and my advisor said they have the parts and would install it. Took maybe another hour. Only had it give me a problem 1 time but that was enough.

Not sooo simple to do.

Thus my complaint.

And, besides, how's this for simple: a car should be equipped with a working gas tank door without having to make numerous returns to the dealership.

My Suburu Legacy 2015 is for sale.

I am replacing it with another Lexus.

My Suburu Legacy 2015 is for sale.

I am replacing it with another Lexus.

Good solution. It seems clear that Subaru is not for you.

On the other hand, after 16 months and ~16,000 miles our 2015 Legacy continues to exceed my expectations. Is it perfect? Of course not ... but I can live with that.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Seeing that we bought newly redesigned 6th generation vehicles, and if THIS is the biggest problem I have with the car, which it probably will be, I guess I have no complaints at all.

I have all the confidence in the world owning and driving quite a few Subaru's with many carefree and untroubled miles and proven by currently having #6 (2009 Outback SE), #7 (2015 3.6r) and #8 (2002 Impreza TS2.5 Wagon) sitting in my driveway.

Goodbye El and enjoy your Lexus. It is clear you are not a Subaru person.

True - with the 3.6R you get to open that fuel tank door more often. Gotta have it working!

Heh ... depends what you are coming from. FWIW ... my 3.6R gets much better gas mileage than my 2005 Legacy GT, and has a bigger tank which means I fill it up less. Not only that, but I can use Regular gas where the turbo REQUIRES Premium, which is a huge difference at the pump.

I noticed this issue on mine as well. It seems to pop open okay but pushing it back is a little tight. I tried filing a little off the pin, as per the instructions, but quickly chickened out and left it be. :spin:

As long as it pops open okay, I'm alright with having it a little tight to close. Not as bad as others on here. I will monitor to make sure it doesn't get any worse!

• 1 month later...

Got it fixed. Now it works as it should. Wow.

Then got the letter about the parking brake "recall".

Then started driving "forward" but the backup camera was on (had not driven backwards in 200 miles.)

Had to stop and restart car on Thruway.

etc.

As soon as I have time and energy I will dump this car for as much as I can get for it from someone who falls for the hype.

Archived