LegacyGT.com

Gas tank release doesn't work. New 2015

Check Engine light, eyesight light and some other light stay on and traction control icon blinks. This is a brand new car...the service department should be able to diagnose and fix. I am not a mechanic nor do I want to be one. The service department says that it is related to the fuel door issue. It does not make sense to me?

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Check Engine light, eyesight light and some other light stay on and traction control icon blinks. This is a brand new car...the service department should be able to diagnose and fix. I am not a mechanic nor do I want to be one. The service department says that it is related to the fuel door issue. It does not make sense to me?

Wow, that's insane they would make that argument. Time to find a different dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An open gas cap (and possibly door) will cause a CEL.

And with EyeSight, anytime the CEL is triggered, EyeSight is disabled (and its associated systems) until the CEL is cleared/resolved.

You can check out more on it in this post.

I've been having this issue as well, I'm bringing my car in Friday to get it fixed. This is 2 weeks after I brought it in the first time to have the issue repaired, only to have them tell me that they need to order parts. I've had my car since June, and I've had to bring it in for wind noise, the blind-spot indicator coming on, gas door not opening...each time they've had to order parts, which requires another visit. Such a pain in the ass. Oh, and today my rear-view camera wouldn't toggle back to the radio when I put it in D, so I was driving for 15 minutes being able to have a great view of the road behind me.

I works great after they replaced the part. They did not attempt the filing down method. Our dealership says they do the filing anymore. They said they had mixed success. They simply order the replacement part. Took a couple of weeks. Works great now.

On the coldest, snowiest, day of winter, so far, with no gas, I could not open the gas door. And ended up scratching the finish to pry it open.

I thought it was frozen, but pouring windshield fluid did not help at all, and then it happened again in better weather.

When I took my car in for a recall fix, they said "oh yeah, this is a known problem but we don't have the parts today, we will let you know when they come in and then..." Well, THEN I can spend another hour and a half in their waiting room.

If it is a known problem, they should have had the parts. I called and added it to the list - recall + gas flap - in advance.

Right, every service department will keep 40 cars in the lot to strip part off just for you.:spin:

Sorry for the long post maybe this will help you have some compassion since there are certain procedures that must be followed.

When a person states they have an issue and you call service they set up an appointment. The Dealership/Service Department(SD) is own and operated by an independent contractor which authorized to sale and service Subaru vehicles.

Then the service department looks at the issue and determine that an issue is present then write the information and diagnosis and send it to the service manager which in turn contact SOA.

SOA will deny the warranty expense or approve the full expense after determining it is manufacturing defect or if owners misuse.

Once approved the order is sent to the parts department and to see if it is available at the distribution center, if not then set up as a backorder.

Most likely this OEM part is made by an independent vendor and they are behind in the production because of the retooling and since new vehicles on the production line have priority while the replacement parts are scheduled for back runs.

Once the back run quantity's completed they are shipped to the Distribution Center(DC) and usually DC uses FIFO to the Parts Departments(PD). Once received the PD contacts the SD which in turn contacts the customer to set up an appointment.

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

"Known issue" does not mean every single legacy/outback has doors that stick.....otherwise the sides of the roads would be littered with out of gas subarus.

I did the fix in my driveway in ten minutes and it works flawlessly.

Others never have a problem.

Problem fixed after multiple phone calls, complaints to Subaru USA. Finally spoke with dealer Service Manager, who had me bring the car right in and he was waiting for me at the garage door. Gave me a loner and fixed the problem (miraculously the fuel door part arrived the next day). The check engine light was caused by a small crack in the seal of the gas cap. Make some noise to Subaru USA customer service.

The Suburu dealership is aware that it is an hour drive for me to get there.

I should have added, that I did call, a week ahead of the scheduled appointment for the recall work (and this is the third time that I have had to return the car in less than a year for work on the eyesight/driver assistance portions of the car).

They have a known issue with the gas doors, they knew I was having the "issue", they knew I would be there - yes, I believe that they should have had the parts on hand to fix it.

While the fact that SOA needs to approve every warranty claim makes some sense, isn't it a huge problem to expect their customers to have to go to a dealership 2 times for every 1 repair? Honestly if this their standard operating procedure, it would certainly give me hesitation to buy another Subaru. It's been a major inconvenience for me to have to go to the dealership 5x now, for 3 issues, in the first 6 months of my ownership.

I attribute the gas tank lid issue to minor teething problems for a completely new model. The resolution for me took four visits to the dealer where I bought the car. Each time, they thought they fixed it following the TSB from Subaru. And each time it didn't work there was a new TSB. This service department takes pride in the quality of their work and they were clearly disappointed at how this was turning out. I think that the last fix is more thorough and deals with all the various issues that can lead to the problem. In any event, when it did not open, there was always a way to get around it - find a way to prop up the release handle so that the lid-retaining pin is pulled back (gloves work) - then use a plastic card to pry it up from the side opposite the hinge, where the pin would be (the left side as you face it).

It's not ideal to buy the first year of a new model. There's always problems that need to be worked out. Buy the second year or refreshed model. - said the guy who has a 2015 :lol: But I would buy mine all over again!

I took my car in for the 12K service and told them that my fuel door was hard to close. I had to give it a good smack to close it. Anyway they had the kit in stock and replaced it, no charge. They also had to replace a tire that had a slow leak after the third time the low tire light came on. Got a nail in the tire and for some reason the plug did not fully seal the hole. The rest of the tires had enough thread so I got away with one tire for the grand total of $22.00.

While the fact that SOA needs to approve every warranty claim makes some sense, isn't it a huge problem to expect their customers to have to go to a dealership 2 times for every 1 repair? Honestly if this their standard operating procedure, it would certainly give me hesitation to buy another Subaru. It's been a major inconvenience for me to have to go to the dealership 5x now, for 3 issues, in the first 6 months of my ownership.

Amen!

I've never gone back to the dealer. I just live with this potentially life-threatening situation. If I really have to gas up in cold weather, I'll free up the fuel filler door the day before, with my wife's hair dryer if necessary. It's a bit of a PITA, but I rarely absolutely have to be somewhere, since I work at home. Most of the time when I set out in the morning, I'm only going to the gym.

And I generally keep my cars for 10 or 12 years, so I'm not especially worried about the effect this flaw will have on its resale value.

But buy another Subie? No way.

(And -- you guys who commute? Buy a Honda!)

I've lived with it so far even though it is a total PITA, and I have now perfected the multiple handle pull technique to get the door to pop open. I can actually feel it release and hear the door pop when it opens! Will it prevent me from ever buying another Subaru? No way! I love my Subaru's too much to let a little quirk get in the way.

The good news is that the Dealer called yesterday to let me know the parts came in after a 3 week wait. Yes, another trip for a 15 minute fix. If this is the biggest issue I have with this car, I will be very happy.

+1

People Loooovvveeees to Bi+ch over the smallest things in this life or should I say "Get a Life."

I am from the camp of Don't sweat the small stuff and if it doesn't kill yah it is all good.

After VN I take life as it comes. Hoorah!

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

The service person told me that it would be 1 and 1/2 hour fix.

After I drive the 65 minutes to get there.

I wish it was the only problem that I have had with the car.

Yes, I expect and demand more of a costly, hyped, brand new car.

And you all with super relaxed attitude, fine, good for you. But letting a manufacturer of anything get away with everything does not help the manufacturer.

They need to know their faults and need to improve. Car companies can go from #1 to 0 very quickly.

New car, you'd expect it to be perfect. Not the case. I bought a 2008 Passat new, had multiple issues from 6 months on. I bought a 2014 Mustang new, had issues 4 months on. Nothing is perfect and it's super frustrating when you lay out $30,000. It's not a Versa so you'd think it should be good to go for years.

I've said it before, I'll say it again... New model. First year. It's going to have bugs. Is it okay? No. Is it frustrating? Yes.

You could buy a killer Sony flat screen that's got awesome reviews and have issues from day one. Or you could buy an off-brand and it be problem free for 4 years - personal experience. No matter what, sh*t happens and I'm sorry that you have a heck of a commute to your dealer. Hoping your Subie is good to go after this.

Archived