LegacyGT.com

Boxkita's random thoughts while wagon collects dust in the garage

What color to paint head & valve covers?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What color to paint head & valve covers?

• Both cherry blossom (Subaru Pink)
    • Both hello kitty pink
    • Heads no paint, covers cherry blossom
    • Heads no paint, covers hello kitty pink
    • Both no paint
    • Profanity - why would do that?

I can get these at a very good price but you will have to PM me if you want to buy one. For example I can get the 06-07 WRX-STI system in both Silver or Black, with or without the thermostat, for a lot less than the MSRP you see on the Mishimoto website. That's true for all Mishimoto products, not just the oil coolers.

No guarantees on fitment since I've never installed this exact setup.

Wish I had known about your discount before I bought my radiator. Oh well.

Looks like I'll be doing this, as soon as I figure out a mounting location.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Like the 5th & 6th gens do? I guess so, however, when the intake manifold is in place along with the accessories, there is not much room. Unless I remember wrong?

I have not eye spied a 5/6 gen in person so I could not say. You're right, there's not much room there with the turbo inlet, I think it could be done. I'm sure some phenolic spacers for added room would be a good idea.

I have not eye spied a 5/6 gen in person so I could not say. You're right, there's not much room there with the turbo inlet, I think it could be done. I'm sure some phenolic spacers for added room would be a good idea.

If I was going to that much work, I'd move the oil filter on top, too. :wub:

When did your engine catch on fire? Wasn't that the passenger side?

previous engine & previous heads. And like all other drama in my life, it was more cellphone snap rather than youtube. Fire was out in 2 secs. On top of which, it was the other side that caught fire.

These are rebuilt STI heads

So with the 2psi pressure loss on the Mishimoto external oil cooler, would it be prudent to install the sti 11mm oil pump along with it?

I have plenty of oil pressure although I can't swear it didn't get the higher pressure pump when they added the FP18g in 2007. My gut says they did not, it has the stock EJ255 pump.

I haven't really looked into the 10mm vs 11mm debate. Do you have to do any fabricating or mods to go 11mm? I suppose a thread search will take me to an endless argument ?

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

I have plenty of oil pressure although I can't swear it didn't get the higher pressure pump when they added the FP18g in 2007. My gut says they did not, it has the stock EJ255 pump.

I haven't really looked into the 10mm vs 11mm debate. Do you have to do any fabricating or mods to go 11mm? I suppose a thread search will take me to an endless argument ?

The biggest concern is cavitation.

On your racecar, I wouldn't go higher without good reason, like auxiliary oiling system components that would create a large pressure drop, as it probably spends more time at high RPMs than a streetcar. The risk of cavitation is higher in the upper range than in normal cruising speeds.

Just bear with me please....

Many years ago when I was a youngster if you can believe that ..

I honestly still remember a jingle.....here it Goes...

"Never pick up a stranger.......lDont Put Your Car In ..Danger....Nows the time.....The Right Time to Change Her........Change To Prestone ANTI ..FREEZE..

Don't know about the Radiator,,,,,but I do know about the ...Freeze....

Just bear with me please....

Many years ago when I was a youngster if you can believe that ..

I honestly still remember a jingle.....here it Goes...

"Never pick up a stranger.......lDont Put Your Car In ..Danger....Nows the time.....The Right Time to Change Her........Change To Prestone ANTI ..FREEZE..

Don't know about the Radiator,,,,,but I do know about the ...Freeze....

?????????????,,,,,,,,,,????????????

At long last, the driver side head is off.

Head looks good, except for the baked on oilly carbon gunk.

Block looks fine. Pistons are covered in baked on oilly carbon gunk, plus coolant fluid drops. Cylnder walls don't show much scoring, however, the boring marks are not visible either.

driversideHead.thumb.jpg.cb18c5fa32ca80a22eef99d908f22cdd.jpg

DriverSideBlockWithHGFailMark.thumb.jpg.397b812aa52825403b91efdbc0944e58.jpg

Archived