LegacyGT.com

Perrin 2015 WRX Shift Stop

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Little tip to who install these...

When I did my install, I grabbed a credit card and stuck it between the stopper and when I was in 5th gear. I then applied pressure to the stop against the card so when I release it after tightening, it was a sure snug fit. Obviously I applied some lube where I though it would rub against to asure a smooth engagement, 5th into 6th.

Year later, no issues, little to no play and smooth crisp engagements.

• 11 months later...
I ordered directly from Perrin so I'm guessing I have the revised version. When I shift into 1st it is pulling up on the reverse lockout a bit. I have the STI STS. Maybe with the short shifter adapter it will go away? Or did I fudge something up?

When you say it's pulling up on the lockout what exactly do you mean? It's engaging the lockout? I've never noticed this happen. I simply followed the YouTube video subispeed.com put out and mine seems to be working perfectly. Before you tighten it down they say to push it over a hair. It shouldn't be right up against, you need a little gap there.

It seems to be when I put a little too much pressure against the shift stop when going into 1st. The lockout slides over the top of it. The grease that got on the pieces might be assisting but it's almost as if the stop should be a little taller...

Mine does it too, more so going to 2nd from 3rd but at first it really got to me as it would pinch the eff outta my finger. Didn't take long for my brain to adjust my shifts to be less aggressive and my hand position to change. But yeah a couple washers or a spacer of some sort would do the trick.

I put a couple of washers on each end of mine and it did not seem to change it at all. I also got in the habit of not keeping my fingers down there where they'd get pinched, but it does still pop up if I go into 1st/2nd kind of aggressively. If I wasn't so lazy I'd uninstall and sell it...

In my opinion it doesn't do its job effectively as is. If it was half of an inch taller it might, but then the washers didn't help on mine. Maybe I should get the '15 short shifter like GTeaser.

I ordered directly from Perrin so I'm guessing I have the revised version. When I shift into 1st it is pulling up on the reverse lockout a bit. I have the STI STS. Maybe with the short shifter adapter it will go away? Or did I fudge something up?

I have the revised one as well on the stock shifter and it does that to me sometimes. It especially does it down shifting into 2nd.

It seems to be when I put a little too much pressure against the shift stop when going into 1st. The lockout slides over the top of it. The grease that got on the pieces might be assisting but it's almost as if the stop should be a little taller...

Mine does it too, more so going to 2nd from 3rd but at first it really got to me as it would pinch the eff outta my finger. Didn't take long for my brain to adjust my shifts to be less aggressive and my hand position to change. But yeah a couple washers or a spacer of some sort would do the trick.

I had the problem you describe and found my 1st & 2nd gate stop had shifted because I had inavertently missed the gate for reverse and went to far to the right, which caused the misalignment issue.

I discovered that if you have an aggressive shift into 5th or Reverse and bash into the stop, you stand a chance of moving the stop on the opposite side (1st & 2nd gate) so that it will have the effect you describe (reverse lockout popping up).

Take another look at the stop alignment so you can see where the contact is being made with the reverse lockout ring. You should be able to resolve with proper stop alignment and less aggressive side motion of your shifts.

Since the stop screws are small you need to be careful with the amount of torque to make both OEM & Perrin stops tight without stripping.

BTW, I have the OEM SS with the revised Perrin stop.

GL, hope this helps. ;)

• 6 months later...
So folks who have the Legacy STi short shifter and are running this shift stop, are you still happy with it? Does the shifter riding up over the stop get worse with time?

FWIW, I have the OEM WRX STS and have never had this issue.

So folks who have the Legacy STi short shifter and are running this shift stop, are you still happy with it? Does the shifter riding up over the stop get worse with time?

I have had this issue since the first day I installed it. I even raised it up with three washers. IMO it's just not designed well, I think it's the angle that the stop is cut at that causes it to pinch your fingers no matter how high you raise it.

I ended up getting a big heavy shift knob so now my fingers don't hang down and get pinched, but it still pops up when I'm shifting into 1st or 2nd

I was able to verify before that I have the version 2. You can check based on the manufacture date or something.

I should clarify: I'm not going to uninstall this. Overall it does make a noticeable improvement that I would not want to lose. I'm just frustrated about it liking to pop up in 1st/2nd. It was made for the wrx so maybe that's the difference. I don't know. I'll probably never fork over the cash to get the wrx factory short shifter, so this is just my shifter now.

• 3 weeks later...

Well... it's been a week or so since I installed mine. It's a version 2 (made earlier this year, based on the package) and I have the STi short throw shifter in my car. Overall I like the positive stop for first and second. It's not hard to get the shifter to ride over it (lifting the reverse ring), but since I don't have my fingers down there, it doesn't pinch me or anything (I tend to have my hand over the top of the shift knob when shifting, rather than wrapping around it) but more often than not, it doesn't. Certainly not as big a difference as say the brass bushing made in shifter feel, but it is a nice change.

The surface of the Perrin part is angled, and that probably doesn't help, but it's the same as the OEM one on the reverse side (it has a similar - maybe the same - angle to it) - I suppose it's good as a precaution in case someone makes it too tight - you can still have the shifter ride up and over it and get in gear... on the reverse side of the shifter, the plastic part that becomes the reverse ring has a flat part that is there intentionally to hit the stop, so it doesn't ride up and over. Not sure if something could be done to retrofit something like that on the Legacy shift lever, but that would address the riding up and over part.

So does the shift lever go lower on the 15+ WRX? I believe it has a larger plastic part (there was a post over on NASIOC where someone snapped their OEM shift lever - from the pictures the whole lower section (including the rod that snapped) looked plastic...) curious why it's an issue with the Legacy, but not on the WRX and don't have both shifters to do a side by side.

• 3 months later...

Interestingly, the 2018 WRX shifter behaves similarly to the Legacy shifter in that you can ride up over the Perrin shift stop if you apply a little force (it acts more like a guide than a gate) - wonder if this will drive them to update the pitch stop and raise it up a tad - wouldn't take much.

The Perrin website even shows it as only '15-17, not for the '18.

Here's a vid showing the issue with an 18 shifter (which apparently is different than the 15-17 in feel with a firmer on-center spring)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG08dlCSpJw]2015 Subaru WRX Ep. 793: Shifter Install Success (2018 Shifter) - YouTube[/ame]

• 1 month later...

Well - confirmed that the new one (PSP-INR-019) works great with the factory STS in the 5th gen LGT. Completely stops the shifter from riding up over the stop. I sort of wish is was a little wider so that it could get closer to the shifter, but overall it works as intended.

The new one is flat where the old one was angled. On the Perrin site, the new one (PSP-INR-019) is listed as being the one to use for the 2018 WRX, the 2010-2014 Legacy with the OEM STi STS, and the 14+ Forester with the OEM STi STS. For the standard shifter in the Legacy and Forester, it says to use the one for the 2014-2017 WRX (PSP-INR-018)

Capture.thumb.JPG.b0426c9c1f37930fba1abec9005c34fe.JPG

Capture2.JPG.4a955c6d6d60e3d01ce0e04ea63fb7ea.JPG

update on the shift stop - I love this thing! while the old one (that let the shifter ride over it) sort of felt like a guide that you could push against (and then abruptly over) the new one feels like a solid gate - going into 1st is really solid and feels "gated" for lack of a better term. If you have the STS short shifter and are using PSP-INR-018, it's definitely worth getting the 18 WRX verson (PSP-INR-019)

Archived