LegacyGT.com

Perrin 2015 WRX Shift Stop

Just installed my Perrin V2 shift stop. I notice the most difference in the 1/2 gate. 3/4 is a bit better. 5/6 is definitely better. It works fantastic. Going from 1st to 2nd is a much smoother transition. Still notchy but that's the transmission after reading a lot of these posts. I will back this part. The Perrin Shift Stop is a great upgrade for a better transition between gears.

My sights are now set on installing the Perrin Brass Bushing, and the Perrin Shift Adaptor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
I have had the shift stop for 3 days, and this morning I noticed the reverse lockout is popping up over the stop while normally shifting into 1-2. The only fix I can think of is adding a washer under the shift stop to raise it up. Anyone ran into this issue?

I have had the shift stop for 3 days, and this morning I noticed the reverse lockout is popping up over the stop while normally shifting into 1-2. The only fix I can think of is adding a washer under the shift stop to raise it up. Anyone ran into this issue?

Yes that's a common complaint. I added several washers in an attempt to fix it and nothing really worked. I'm pretty unenthusiastic about mine because of that...

I did end up kind of learning how to shift to not pinch my fingers, so I haven't uninstalled it, but I do not recommend the part.

I don't have this problem at all with it with my OEM 2015+ WRX STS. It was designed specifically for the 2015+ WRX so I imagine it would work well with the OEM shifter for that platform as well. Might be able to find one cheap on eBay.

The WRX STS would be great, but not happening for a bit, even though they are actually fairly cheap considering.

I think the sloped side of the stop is causing the issue and allowing the lockout to "ramp up over the stop.

I've had the pinched fingers happen once or twice. I have learned to be more precise in where I am trying to push the shifter. I think the updated version is less prone to having the lockout pop up.

I asked the Perrin rep which one is recommended for the GT and he told me it was to 15-17 sloped version, not the 2018 flat sided one. I think I should have gotten that one.

I also read somewhere the 2018 one was specifically redesigned with this issue in mind.

I had it happen a couple times after install, but I've gotten used to it and it hasn't happened for 6+ months. I'd give it some time, unless you want to deal with exchanging it.

I'm going to see if I can exchange it. Working with the rep now. He thinks I have the STS shifter, but I checked the throws of 3rd and 4th this morning and can't really tell. There is a thread where someone compared the throw of stock to STS and there is not much difference. I need to get back under the car to see if the cover plate has the bump and STI stamp.

If they will not take the Stop back, then I will have the machinist at work mill down the slope to make it flat.

I'm going to see if I can exchange it. Working with the rep now. He thinks I have the STS shifter, but I checked the throws of 3rd and 4th this morning and can't really tell. There is a thread where someone compared the throw of stock to STS and there is not much difference. I need to get back under the car to see if the cover plate has the bump and STI stamp.

If they will not take the Stop back, then I will have the machinist at work mill down the slope to make it flat.

Take a picture of your shifter in reverse, I can tell just by looking it if you have the factory shifter or not.

If you can crawl underneath and look at the bottom plate of the shifter, the STI short-throw has "STI" stamped on the plate, and I think there's a difference in the shapes of the bumps stamped into the plate as well.

I asked the Perrin rep which one is recommended for the GT and he told me it was to 15-17 sloped version, not the 2018 flat sided one. I think I should have gotten that one.

I believe their website says the 15-17 one for the standard shifter and the 18 one for the STi short shifter. I had the 15-17 in my car (and I have the short shifter) and it was pretty easy to get the reverse lockout lever to ride over it - I installed the 18+ version and that is totally gone - I can push pretty hard against the stop and it doesn't even kind of come up. It's a cheap part - might be worth getting the 18+ one for your car as it should solve the problem.

When you have a chance climb under the car, the sts has a recess on the plate and one of the cable entry holes is lower than the other on the body of the shifter assembly. The non-sts one they are the right next to each other.

When you have a chance climb under the car, the sts has a recess on the plate and one of the cable entry holes is lower than the other on the body of the shifter assembly. The non-sts one they are the right next to each other.

Took these pics Friday when I did the video. No bump or STS stamp.

IMG_3895.thumb.JPG.fa8b63cc75ccbb0e01df4d776e0ea89d.JPG

IMG_3898.thumb.JPG.b37f2766a4d87656fb7c27f2a9283b4a.JPG

Archived