LegacyGT.com

Perrin 2015 WRX Shift Stop

Hey guys been absent for a while.. just catching up... +

I have a 2012 LGT with the STS (the original one from Subaru) installed for a while now (first batch of stops) and I have had zero issues with it...

Am I missing something?

Nope.... unless you want to tighten things up...and like many of us, have to spend money. :redface:

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey guys been absent for a while.. just catching up... +

I have a 2012 LGT with the STS (the original one from Subaru) installed for a while now (first batch of stops) and I have had zero issues with it...

Am I missing something?

If you don't have the issue that g5GT had (explained in previous posts here), then you probably don't need to worry about it. Maybe taking the trim off and taking a close look at the shifter function as it relates to the shifter stop would be a good idea to make sure there are no interferences.

If you don't have the issue that g5GT had (explained in previous posts here), then you probably don't need to worry about it. Maybe taking the trim off and taking a close look at the shifter function as it relates to the shifter stop would be a good idea to make sure there are no interferences.

Ran out at lunch.. everything seems fine I have no hitting or rubbing(except the arm "hitting" the stop to line it up to the first/second gate) .. everything looks exactly how it was when I installed it... maybe i'm missing something I'll try and get some pics but I can't understand how the stop would affect the reverse lockout.. it's not close to it?

Chris (from Perrin) said the prob is only with the STI short shifter. Stock one is fine and does not need the "Version2".

Soooo, just installed this tonight. I'm on the stock shifter, and it was happening to me. I re-adjusted everything, put it all back together, and didn't seem to notice it any longer...until I got home. I just happened to curl my fingers underneath the bottom of the shifter knob (and slightly above the reverse lever), and when I slid over from 3rd to 2nd, it raised ever so slightly. I started playing around with it. From the 3/4 gates to the 1/2, it raises the reverse lockout lever.

I'll have to do some playing around with it tomorrow.

Overall, with this stop and the shifter bushing...pretty nice feel!

EDIT: Not sure if it matters...when I'd originally ordered from Perrin, they were on backorder. They told me to try Rallysport, and call back to cancel my order if they had them in stock. RSD did have it in stock, shipped the next day. Not sure if that matters on the version 1 or 2?

Upon further playing around, it happens when shifting (up or down) into Second and Sixth. I'm going to have to get back in there and see if I'm somehow off a bit. Does anyone know if overtightening the two washers (7mm nut) would affect it? Or is it related to where I set the Perrin and Oem stops?

I absolutely LOVE the way this thing shifts now, and the reverse lockout ring really isn't bothering me too much, I just want to make sure it doesn't somehow create wear on any parts as it currently sits.

Sorry, one more post. While installing, I DID notice that at one point, the second time I was tightening down the allen bolts for positioning, I could get the reverse lockout to completely pop up. The shifter mechanism would literally go on top of the Perrin stop, similar to what g5gt was experiencing.

Now I'm wondering if somehow my car came with a short throw? It was a lease return from a gentleman who always buys his cars loaded with just about every option imagineable - I'm not sure if a STS was a factory option on a 2011. I didn't think Legacies came with that possibility. I've browsed the STS threads, and remember there's a certain telltale way to figure it out, is that something I can easily find?

Sorry for the three posts, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sounds like there is a good possibility you got Version1 from RSD.

How to tell if you have the Legacy STi STS.....go under the car. If there is an STi stamped into the rectangular silver cover on the bottom of the shifter, and I think there will be STi molded into the lower housing too, then you got it and need Version 2 of the Perrin Stop.

These are pics of the WRX STS, but the Legacy STS is very similar.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/19/4a8d5d34e2e71e96e38f6ba0a1dfd3db.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/19/f80f70d50f3e70ac04e017763c7c4f0b.jpg

You should be able to see the bottom of the shifter from under the car. Flat(ish) bottom is the standard shifter, the STI shifter has a couple dimples and an "STI" stamp. I think s2baru took some good pics of the one he was looking at buying locally, I'll see if I can find where he posted those.

Edit: that's what I get for posting from my phone and trying to look busy at work...

Sounds like there is a good possibility you got Version1 from RSD.

How to tell if you have the Legacy STi STS.....go under the car. If there is an STi stamped into the rectangular silver cover on the bottom of the shifter, then you got it and need Version 2 of the Perrin Stop.

Thanks !

I'll check it out...I'm going to replace the temporary fabricated washer for the bushing with the OEM one later today, so I'll look at it then. In the meantime, I'm wondering if the fact that I got the shift stop from RSD rather than Perrin means that they didn't have the V2. I'll have to do some research, shoot Perrin an email. There wasn't any type of literature (that I can remember) denoting a V1 vs V2.

EDIT: Thank again Joe, I'll look later today! Very easy to see!

Monday. I had put in order in on Friday from Perrin, called on Monday to check order status, and both the bushing/stop were on backorder. The very friendly people there told me to give RSD a call, so I did, and voila had it ordered and on a truck Monday afternoon (hooray for wholesale accounts!). I don't know how long they would have had it in stock though...

It sounds like the V1 is has a slight diagonal shave to it, from what you guys have discussed? Is it discernible to the naked eye?

Hey guys, sorry I should have clarified earlier, if you guys are purchasing the shift stop directly from PERRIN, it will be the updated version. There will for sure be some of the previous version floating around from vendors.

The best way to tell is the build date on the part number label. If the build date is after December 2014, it will be new version. If you're purchasing it from a vendor and have the STI short shifter, check the build date with them. It seems they're moving pretty quickly, so soon everyone will have the current version. The change is really small, so it's hard to tell from looking at pictures. I just checked, and we don't have any in stock at the moment, so we must have shipped all of our stock out to vendors.

I know there's a lot of guys in this thread that are running the shifter stop with the stock shifter and it works fine, so I'm not sure what could be causing the issue for your car. Any one else getting that with the stock shifter?

PS if you guys need to switch one out, let me know and I can help you with that.

I know there's a lot of guys in this thread that are running the shifter stop with the stock shifter and it works fine, so I'm not sure what could be causing the issue for your car. Any one else getting that with the stock shifter?

Just to clarify Chris, bronconia will be confirming his shifter later today or tomorrow. He assumes that what he has is the stock shifter, but it may be the Legacy STi STS, which would explain why he is having the issue with the stop.

Also added Version 2 build date info to Post #1.

• 1 month later...
Well, did mine finally. Had to find a 7mm... Had a 6 and an 8 - of course, but no 7. I love this. Going into 1st is so much smoother, and I ride that stop down to second. Great little mod. Why Subaru had one for 5&6 gear but not the other side is beyond me.

image.jpg.117579590f98db248b684aa64de8f19c.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived