LegacyGT.com

Perrin 2015 WRX Shift Stop

Sounds kinda like the a similar problem that g5GT had with the Version 1 shift stop when he installed it on his Legacy STi STS. The Version 2 supposedly fixed that condition where the shifter or reverse lockout mechanism moves up. I could see if it moved up enough it would "fall over" the stop.

Are you sure got a V2 from Perrin when you ordered? The build date should be on the box. V2 would have a date of December 2014 or newer.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
reading back a page and found the post from Chris@Perrin. He advised they are shipping out the updated version. I ordered directly from them. We did confirm that I have STI STS. So...I may need to go in there and check it out to see whats up.

I can get mine to pop up and over if I try, but I actually have to be trying to make it happen.

I never did do anything as far as printing out a shim or something, since that idea predated the V2 revision, but it could be worth revisiting. If it bothers you enough, maybe putting washers on the screws between the Perrin stop and the factory 5-6 stop, see if that helps any.

Let me know if you have any success with that, and how much height you need to add to make it work. Most of my reluctance to print out a shim was that it would be more of a pain to reposition the thing after removing it than it's worth, but if people are still having issues, I could probably revisit the idea.

Washers may turn out to be just fine, too, and would be a heck of a lot more practical.

Well, did mine finally. Had to find a 7mm... Had a 6 and an 8 - of course, but no 7. I love this. Going into 1st is so much smoother, and I ride that stop down to second. Great little mod. Why Subaru had one for 5&6 gear but not the other side is beyond me.

The intent of the 5-6 stop isn't to clean up slop. It's to prevent someone who may have a tendancy to push firmly right when shifting from 4th to 5th, and from 5th to 6th, from passing that gate into reverse when going from 5th to 6th. In teaching a teenager to drive stick, in his nervousness, he was having UFC match with the shift knob like he was teaching his dong a lesson, and he did just that. I hadn't caught that he was grabbing the whole thing including the lift ring.. Reverse grinding around 45mph makes for a frightening sound. Fortuntunately it was super brief and didn't break anything as I was watching his hand that moment and pushed it forward. Still, a scary moment, but there's your answer. It's not about shifter feel, it's about protecting the car.

• 1 month later...

How does one know if it's a v1 or v2 without a box. are the measures different ?

I got mine in but with a bundle package that arrived in a different box. So I cant check the build date. I have the stock shifter, but of course Id hope I have the v2 for a future upgrade of sts.

Quick question.. How can we find out if we have a short shifter or not?

Besides going underneath the car and looking at it or having to remove it?

I'm under the impression I have the short shifter installed!?

How does one know if it's a v1 or v2 without a box. are the measures different ?

I got mine in but with a bundle package that arrived in a different box. So I cant check the build date. I have the stock shifter, but of course Id hope I have the v2 for a future upgrade of sts.

If you do the WRX STS, you dont need to worry.

If you do the WRX STS, you dont need to worry.

Just to be clear (I'm looking into these), when you say the WRX STS do you mean the OEM one from Subaru? Also, the STI one, is that the one from Perrin?

Thanks!

Ive heard if your knuckles hit the hazard button you may not have a STS.

-amidroc

I have a factory STS but i still hit the hazard button from time to time... but i got some fat knuckles

thinks he should meybe check because the dealer might have screwed him

I have a factory STS but i still hit the hazard button from time to time... but i got some fat knuckles

thinks he should meybe check because the dealer might have screwed him

Easy enough to get under the car and take a look... you could also pull up the shift boot and look as the STS looks a little different than the OEM shifter.

My hand came close with the OEM shifter, but not so much with the STS.

Well I'm trying to avoid going under the car, atleast for a month or soo.

I barely touch the hazards, but I've pulled out my boot and looked at it many times.

But I don't know what the difference is between the two looking at it from the top.

Plastic piece is straight where the shifter rod is, pretty much all I see..

But I don't know what the difference is between the two looking at it from the top.

this is my issue i looked at it but I'm not sure if its set with shorter throws or not because i don't have a stock (or sts) example to go off of

For what's it worth. I have my Perrin stop on its "tightest" setting and I still get into 1st and 2nd nicely.

On another note, it's normal to jump over the Perrin stop if you lift the reverse lock out mechanism, right? It's only an issue if this happens without trying to lift the lockout mechanism. (ie: the v1 on the sts's)

• 1 month later...
Installed the Perrin shifter stop this afternoon. All in all, for the price of the mod it firms up the shift gates noticeably, particularly in 1st-2nd and 5th-6th, I didn't notice much difference in 3rd-4th shifts. One thing I did note is that I can get the reverse lockout to jump up if I really ride hard along the edge of the stop in the 1st-2nd gate (both ways), however in normal driving its fine. I know about the rev1/rev2 shift stops and mine is dated 24th April 2015 so I'm confident it's rev2.

Installed the Perrin shifter stop this afternoon. All in all, for the price of the mod it firms up the shift gates noticeably, particularly in 1st-2nd and 5th-6th, I didn't notice much difference in 3rd-4th shifts. One thing I did note is that I can get the reverse lockout to jump up if I really ride hard along the edge of the stop in the 1st-2nd gate (both ways), however in normal driving its fine. I know about the rev1/rev2 shift stops and mine is dated 24th April 2015 so I'm confident it's rev2.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice this. I noticed it when I shift hard to the left it pops over. It was really bugging me and I put some washer between the stops to raise it a bit. It's still not perfect but its better I'm gonna try to put some nuts there to raise it a bit more

• 5 months later...

It baffles me that people talk about the affect on 3rd/4th/5th/6th gears with the shifter stop.

People. The Perrin shifter stop has absolutely no impact whatsoever in any universe on gears 3,4,5,6, or R.

If you adjusted the 5/6 OEM shift stop and did so poorly, then that's on you. No matter what you do, it won't do a darned thing to 3,4. If you think you feel a difference, then you are insane. That is all. :)

I just installed my shifter stop this evening today. I noticed a decreased sloppy feeling and the shifter feels firmer than before, but I have to slap the shifter harder from 5th to 6th gear. Do your gears have this behavior also ?

Readjust 5/6 again so there's a tiny bit more play.

Archived